Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2016, 05:40 AM   #1
The Silver Biscuit

2004 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
South Bend, Indiana to Austin, Texas

Making this drive next week in our sprinter/Interstate. Thinking southern route Indy to Louisville to Nashville Etc. Any shouldn't miss things to see, eat, or great places to stay?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom!
Rosie39j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:11 AM   #2
The Silver Biscuit

Austin , Texas
Wow no comments. Maybe I'd better change course and drive to Disney��
Old 03-09-2016, 05:40 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Manheim , Pennsylvania
When in Nashville, don't miss the RCA studio B tour. Not much to see there really, but if you are into music, it's incredible.
Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Give Deep East Texas a look.

One of the perks of Airstream ownership (besides this Forum) are the various Airstream only parks across the nation. One of the most affordable parks is in East Texas. The Texas Airstream Harbor Inc (TAHI) is in the middle of historic Deep East Texas.

You can read more about the Harbor on Lake Sam Rayburn (SE of Lufkin) at:

Texas Airstream Harbor.com

(You may have to do an internet search - I can't post the link right now.)

We are not on the "WBCCI" server, so the link may or may not work.

Full hookups are only $15 per night. You need not be a WBCCI member to stay at the park - the only requirement is an Airstream product.

TAHI is a non-profit organization, and relies on volunteer labor to keep costs at a minimum. TAHI is a secure gated community - lots of road and park area to ride bikes on. Birding is second to none in Texas. We are right on the shore of Lake Sam Rayburn, so most any type of fishing is available almost from your parking spot.

TAHI (Texas Airstream Harbor) is a couple of hours north of Houston, so plenty of medical and entertainment are close at hand. Lufkin, Texas (more than 33,000 population) is only a half hour drive away.

PM if you have any questions.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Martin Dies State Park near Jasper Texas is really pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Some thoughts

We do Dallas to Nashville and back a couple times a year . . . so here are some thoughts for what it's worth for that section of the trip

If you are through Nashville between April 1 and Oct. 30, (sorry just saw your timetable, so disregard this first tip, at least for this trip) do book campsite at Seven Points Corps of Engineers campground just east of Nashville. Downtown is an easy 20 minute drive (well not during rush hour) from there and it's a really nice campground for being so close to a large city.

Do the Studio B tour of course, but also make sure you do the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum... extremely well done and even if you only have a passing interest in country music, very enjoyable.

Crema coffee shop just south of downtown is great and there is a burger place in East Nashville called Riverside GrillShack that is awesome. You will need to gps it to find it but well worth looking for.

From Nashville, if you take I-40 to Little Rock, the Maumelle COE campground on the Arkansas River is another great place to stay and it is open year round. Very peaceful and just 10 miles from downtown Little Rock. It's easy to get to from I-40 and just as easy to get to I-30 headed south.

A day's (4 hours) drive from Maumelle is Cooper Lake State Park in Sulphur Springs, TX stay at the South Sulphur Unit, Bright Star campground. It's kind of our home base park and we have been going there for 5 years and just love it. Great park staff nice level campsites.

Stop at the What-A-Burger in Sulphur Springs (just south of I-30) for a great, traditional Texas burger......

Enjoy your trip
Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Austin , Texas
Are you prepared to arrive in Austin during the SXSW event? There will be more than enough to do here to keep you busy for a while. I'm local downtown, let me know if you need any advice or tips on moving about here during the festival. Have a great trip.
Austin512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Be aware that Austin traffic rivals the worst in the country. I-35 at anytime is not fun and anywhere near work traffic is suicidal. MOPAC expressway paralleling I-35 is under construction and not fun either.

I live SW of Austin in Hays county. We are leaving Sunday morning going north on MOPAC which will not be bad. We return late on a work day and I will take the toll road, TX 130, to intersect TX 71, east of Austin. From there in, I will be against the worst of the work traffic.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:13 PM   #9
The Silver Biscuit

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin512 View Post
Are you prepared to arrive in Austin during the SXSW event? There will be more than enough to do here to keep you busy for a while. I'm local downtown, let me know if you need any advice or tips on moving about here during the festival. Have a great trip.

Thanks but I live in Austin. Bringing the van home and trying to get away from sxsw!