Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Seems like a few folks are intimidated by backing up.

I learned how to back up…downhill….in my driveway, off of a busy street.
NOT fun !!!! Take my foot off the brake, then built up too much speed. Put on the brake, and I would need to recalibrate my hand/eye coordination. But it made backing up on flat land easy. I don't recommend learning that way.

It wasn't long before I could thread the needle into hairy spots.

BUT….I arrived early at a festival, to an empty field. I wanted to back up perpendicular to a tree line, so as not to waste space, or look goofy. It was difficult to judge the angle.

Solution…I used my orange levelers ( other stuff will work ) to mark the angle and how close to the trees I wanted to be.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I am in the process of teaching DW how to do it all. Hitching up, departure check list, navigating fuel stops... haven't got to backing into spots yet, but we discussed what to do in a trailer sway situation. Las summer on a 2 lane road in Montana was thee acid test. Some idiot pulling an antique farm tractor on a flat bed trailer decided we weren't going fast enough. He pulled out to pass when he shouldn't have and ran another car off the road. Laura got on the brake immediately to let him by and then the wind speed tore a part off of the tractor and flipped it into our path. It was the roof panel for the driver's shade. L swerved to avoid driving over it and that initiated violent trailer sway. While I was having a vision of the whole outfit cork screwing into the ditch, she reached over to the dash hit the trailer brake lever and pulled it out straight. The fact that we had already shed a lot of speed certainly helped but she still played a decisive role in avoiding a wreck. Even her slowing down was the right call.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to MsRivet
Awesome!

InterBlog
In starting this thread it was interesting to read the responses of others who had started laying the foundation for their partners to learn. Like one forum poster (Hittenstiehl) noted being informed is not the same as doing the task. And that my friend is what you are doing ... doing the task. Like a professional. You inspire us who don't have your experience. I hope this reading will help those who want to, take that next step. And to also help the spouse encourage the inexperienced for at least that 'what if' day.

Gearheart
Thanks for taking that time with L. You rock! I found myself holding my breath reading your post to this thread. Wow! You both survived because you spent the time teaching her and talking about the 'what if'. She, like me, has an amazing teacher. Thank you. So glad you are here to share your experience.
MsRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:39 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Ms. Rivet: I hope you've had a fabulous time this weekend. It sure looked like you were getting a lot out of it when I read your last two posts. Again, I wish I could have joined you! We had a snowstorm and now it's 11 degrees. I'm sure the trailer is under about 4 inches and may be stuck in the frozen earth. But then...I've chipped a trailer out of ice before!

Also, thank you for your thoughtful replies.

Best of luck on your future travels. I hope to hear more from you on the forums.
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:04 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Riverview , Florida
Good morning. Hubby and I are moving into our 28 foot Flying Cloud in about two days. He has Parkinson's, so I will be doing just about everything. This is my adventure. I think I'm up to it, and it will be interesting to see how it works out -- one day at a time! Thank God for the Air Forum. It will be my daily reading.
rebberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:15 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Solo female here in Quartzsite 2nd year. Also did a solo tour through Oregon. Have always traveled solo. Solo women outnumber the men here. Check out cheaprvliving.com or look up the same channel on youtube (Bob Wells) to see several interviews with solo females.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:57 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
Outdoors4me
My first solo outing has been amazing! We had a few cold nights ourselves. Just in the low thirties. Cold for Florida but those who came from out of state were not complaining. There is next year. You can come ... next year!!! PM me if you are interested and I can lead the way and introduce you to my group. They have many, many different trips all year long. I could not have done it without them or those on this Forums.

rebberger
Big hugs to Hubby! He will be a good motivator by your side and he will direct you well. You can do it! For me it wasn't one day at a time it was just the next step at a time. If I began to think about the whole day it could all get blurred so by just thinking about the next step and only the next step it made my traveling days much easier. Please keep me posted on how you do.

LiLNomad
Love your member name. Quartzsite and Oregon are on my bucket list! Thanks for the references and thanks for being out there to inspire the rest of us. You 'ROCK'!!!
Old 01-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
Safely home!

I have returned home safely! AND HAD A BLAST!!!

All around it was a really, really good trip. Everything went very smooth for me. My new friends that I met are all amazing ladies who I so admire. They either left their misters at home, are divorced or widowed. Vets, Native American, semi drivers and housewives were just some of what made up the group of inspirational ladies I met in my group. Thirty of us, from 12 different states, transcended into our campsites with anticipation of a good time.

Our activities included campfires, potluck, kayaking, swimming with manatees and even hanging out with real mermaids. They really do exist! Weeki Wachee Springs State Park was not far away. We were fortunate enough to see the current show and The Legendary Sirens perform! The Legendary Sirens Show includes performers representing decades from the 50’s to the 70’s. One had even performed for Elvis! Before the Legends performed each of the Mermaids performing did their own introduction. One lovely Mermaid said ‘I may be 73 years old but when I get in that water I’m 19 again. Don’t ever let anyone steal your magic!’ What an inspiration! Wow! Wow! Wow!!! Best day ever.

I really stepped out of my comfort zone. Built some confidence and realized that I can do this on my own. I had a really great teacher ... Thanks MrRivet! My plan is to hopefully do a few solo trips a year now.

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and great words of advise!
Old 01-18-2018, 04:44 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Ms Rivet: thanks so much for the followup. What was this rally? Was it all Airstreams? Is it by invitation only? I SO much want to come!
Old 01-18-2018, 06:54 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Congratulations to MsRivet on a personal challenge successfully completed.

Not only does traveling alone build ones confidence, but the ability to do the necessities could become a matter of life and death...and at the drop of a hat. You just never know what could happen, or where.

I’ve traveled about 50,000 miles in the nearly 4 years since my husband died, prior to which I had stuck primarily to inside tasks and the occasional driving.

Being horrifically mechanically ignorant, I am still learning what many would consider “basics”, but that is me....some learning curves I must be dragged thru, not going willingly.

But, learning as I go, and so glorious to have the privilege of continuing a modified version of travlin’ life.

A good thing.

Maggie
Old 01-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
Good report. I love Weeki Wachee. I also like Homosassa Springs just north of it where you can see the manatees and other native Florida animals. For those who haven't been to Weeki, here is a picture of the mermaid bowl.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2667.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	617.3 KB
ID:	302606
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
Outdoors4me
Not inivitation only. It was not all Airstreams. I was the only A/S among other Vintage Rigs, New Retros and New SOBs. Approximately 30 members attended. We are approaching 10,000 members. I’ll PM you some details. Liberating!

Lily&Me
Sorry for your loss. Sending big hugs & puppy smooches your way. What an incredible inspiration you are! One never knows what the future holds. An injury, hospitalization or worse ... death. I now know I that am ready if need be and can share responsibility however I think I’ve created a monster in me ... what’s my next solo journey??? Thinking I should do a few a year!?

Jarrod White
Thanks so much. Weeki Wachee, Homosassa and Crystal River are all beautiful hidden gems of Florida.

Name:	BEA4411A-DC65-4B74-B1E8-4045BE6CAD2A.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	302692

Name:	21ACFA7C-8171-4AF6-9B46-D2D38FF789FA.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	682.2 KB
ID:	302693

Name:	B2958E32-177D-4B4B-AF6B-E927D2E331B4.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	501.6 KB
ID:	302694
Old 01-20-2018, 03:37 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
It looks like we'll be visiting one of those springs soon on our trip to Florida in February. thanks for the tips. And MsRivet: thanks for the inspiration!
Old 01-20-2018, 03:39 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Also, Lilynme, you have been an inspiration to me ever since I got on this forum. Hope to meet you someday!