Old 01-25-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Martinsburg , West Virginia
Solo Stove - cut wood in half?

For those of you who have the Solo Stove (we have a Ranger), how many of you cut your firewood in half? Firewood bought at the store or campsite typically comes in a length that sticks out the top of the stove, leading to more smoke. The stove FAQ says "To minimize smoke and optimize your flame, don't fill the wood above the holes at the top of the fire pit." I bought a reciprocating saw to cut firewood pieces in half, but it is a lot of trouble to do this.

So just wondering how many of you cut your wood so the pieces are not too long? Or do you just burn it as is and don't worry about it?

Thanks,

Steve

stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
I have been thinking of getting one of those Solo stoves, and would definitely cut the wood to fit. A small electric chain saw would be fairly easy to take along. Or a 12-volt mini skill saw like this Milwaukee M12:

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-253...9968952&sr=8-4

The depth of cut is only about 1 1/2" but you can go all around a piece of firewood, and finish the interior with a handsaw. The action of this saw is more manageable than a Sawzall IMO.

The M12 batteries fit a variety of optional tools [you will have to buy . . . . . . ]. We have a variety of the M12 tools onboard and they are great. Flashlights, USB chargers, drills of course, impact wrenches, etc.]. The M18 line is heavier duty and also has a range of useful tools:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=milwaukee...f=nb_sb_noss_1

FYI Solo threads to check where you could ask other users:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ek-169865.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f366...re-192337.html

See also: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ls-170188.html

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- 14" electric chainsaws: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=chainsaw+...f=nb_sb_noss_2

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:23 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I have been thinking of getting one of those stoves, and would definitely cut the wood to fit. A small electric chain saw would be fairly easy to take along. Or a 12-volt mini skill saw like the Milwaukee M12 version:
I have a Dewalt recip saw. Don't need another tool.

I am mainly looking for info on what other folks do who actually have and use the stove. Just curious.

Steve
Old 01-25-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I have neighbors who use an old washing machine tub (metal with many holes for the spin cycle). Bolt on 3 legs and put a.piece of metal over the hole in the bottom. Cheap, recycled and good for a season orntwo til it rusts out.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Charlotte , North Carolina
I have a Ranger and have cut it in half with a Milwaukee battery chain saw. Have also stood them up to burn. Why have a chain saw? It is very light, fairly small, uses existing batteries and sometimes I burn wood off a ‘burn pile’ when moochdocking. Sometimes I need to cut branches off fallen trees, etc. makes light work of it vs my hatchet and other saws.

When you cut things small, there is less to no smoke. When they stand up the smoke obviously follows you around. Love them both.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:35 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
We love our Solo and I cut the wood in half with my chain saw. I have also used a reciprocating saw but it is much slower and has some trouble with very hard woods. I have also just split the wood into small enough pieces, using a Fiskars splitting Axe, that I can break them. It's good exercise but very time consuming.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:15 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilPeanut View Post
I have a Ranger and have cut it in half with a Milwaukee battery chain saw. Have also stood them up to burn. Why have a chain saw? It is very light, fairly small, uses existing batteries
Had a Ryobi battery chain saw and got rid of it. The reason I went with a recip saw for cutting my firewood in half was that with a chain saw, even a small one is pretty big and they still need bar oil and leak and can be messy. We were full timing and every square inch of storage was valuable space. I agree with BayouBiker that a chain saw is faster than a recip saw. But a recip saw seemed easier to use and store.

One issue I had was how to safely secure a piece of firewood while you cut it in half regardless of which saw you use. I'd put it up on the picnic table bench with half of it hanging out beyond the bench, hold the end on the bench with one foot, and then cut it in half trying not to cut my foot off. Not too safe. Any good ideas for that problem anyone?

Steve
Old 01-25-2020, 01:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
The M12 circular saw I mentioned is safer and has much easier action than the Sawzall type of tool. Depth of cut is the main limitation, but also a "plus" as you can rest thicker wood on a stable location, and cut roughly 1/2 way through with each pass.

"To a hammer, everything looks like a nail?"

Peter

PS -- Having a circular saw onboard also makes small plywood projects easy to do on the road, if "top shelf" quality saw cuts are not crucial.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I strap it to the picnic bench with a rubber strap wrench and rater than hold the wrench handle with my foot to keep it tight, I often use a clamp or a bit of rope.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:33 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Denver , North Carolina
Ranger vbs Bonfire

For those still considering the purchase of a Solo Stove fire pit this is why I went with the Bonfire. The standard length of precut firewood is 16 inches which fits in the Bonfire fire pit.

The Bonfire is only 4.5 inches wider, 1.5 inches taller and 5 lbs. heavier. Yes it does cost a little more but you don't need to cut your firewood logs in half.

Either way they are awesome fire pits, just glad I went with the Bonfire. BTW I really like their Fire pit tools as well, and no I have no affiliation with Solo Stove.

Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #11
2014 Intíl Sig 27FB Onyx

2014 27' FB International
Bon Air , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by link2dks View Post
For those still considering the purchase of a Solo Stove fire pit this is why I went with the Bonfire. The standard length of precut firewood is 16 inches which fits in the Bonfire fire pit.

The Bonfire is only 4.5 inches wider, 1.5 inches taller and 5 lbs. heavier. Yes it does cost a little more but you don't need to cut your firewood logs in half.

Either way they are awesome fire pits, just glad I went with the Bonfire. BTW I really like their Fire pit tools as well, and no I have no affiliation with Solo Stove.

Dave S

+1
We used Bonfire extensively for a recent 3-nighter in cold weather. Firewood fits fine with the exception of the occasional piece cut too long. Also, no affiliation.

Cheers,
Brenton
Brentone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:27 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
No one uses ax?

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Solo Stove - cut wood in half?

For cutting a long chunk in half a saw is usually more efficient. For splitting a big chunk lengthwise a well sharpened axe or splitting maul is faster.

I prefer a double-bitted axe for splitting, but others prefer a very heavy single edged axe for the job.

I carry a bow saw and a heavy axe.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Conroe , Texas
Go with the Bonfire....

Quote:
Originally Posted by link2dks View Post

Dave S
We love the Bonfire and it packs easy enough. For short trips I usually cut a "starter set" of short logs. Once the Solostove gets into smokeless mode, you can toss in most anything, certainly making sure that longer stuff falls in rather than out. I bought the Yukon for home but haven't tried it yet. Its a beast and cleaning out the ash might be a pain.
wrhnco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Yukon on sale:

https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-yukon/

Now thatís a stove!

Old 01-26-2020, 11:24 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1995 34' Limited
Sarasota , Florida
Washing machine tub is $20 and radiates a lot
More heat than those you are buying and mentioning..
Used them at Canadian campgrounds. They know what needed heat is like. Your money spend as you want.
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
We have had the medium size solo stove for two years. We have no problem getting the regular size firewood they sell at the campgrounds to fit in. Occasionally, when I am cutting the wood, I get it too long, but not a big deal from a smoking standpoint.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:15 PM   #18
2014 Intíl Sig 27FB Onyx

2014 27' FB International
Bon Air , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDave View Post
Washing machine tub is $20 and radiates a lot
More heat than those you are buying and mentioning..
Used them at Canadian campgrounds. They know what needed heat is like. Your money spend as you want.
That would work, great idea- hadnít heard of it before. I imagine that one in stainless with a workable base and some sort of a carry/cover apparatus would be an investment nearer the price of the Bonfire though.

Cheers,
Brenton
Brentone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:40 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Rockaway , New Jersey
or consider a biolite

We are very happy with the biolite. Never any smoke, and the solar recharge for the battery works well. And it is nice to have that battery to recharge our devices while by the fire.
It is also small, but the wood lays horizontally, so if the pieces are longer than 18", they can lay at an angle, and it still seems to work well.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Thanks for the detailed review. I got one, but have not had a chance to use it yet. Makes little sense on an August-September trip to the south...

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote