Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Cuba of course survived, the Soviet bloc got the sugar and it's biproduct, gin
Rum. Gin is from juniper berries, not from sugar cane.

What can I say? Nitpicking is my specialty…
Old 12-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
BEER is a SODA product...

Beer... is within the Soda Family. ALSO natural CO2 from yeast fermentation of sugars to alcohol must be healthier from a sugar aspect and is providing food to hops and grains in the fields.

Home Brew is in the "Soda Refill" category when you have a capper and reuse bottles. I have a neighbor who I supply empty glass bottles and he supplies full glass bottles if I help. Many of these home brew recipes are excellent. If one batch turns out border line... you have to drink it to save the World. Looking at it this way makes it all worth the work and effort! A sack full of empties left here last night. It is good to be a good neighbor.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Beer... is within the Soda Family. ALSO natural CO2 from yeast fermentation of sugars to alcohol must be healthier from a sugar aspect and is providing food to hops and grains in the fields.

Home Brew is in the "Soda Refill" category when you have a capper and reuse bottles. I have a neighbor who I supply empty glass bottles and he supplies full glass bottles if I help. Many of these home brew recipes are excellent. If one batch turns out border line... you have to drink it to save the World. Looking at it this way makes it all worth the work and effort! A sack full of empties left here last night. It is good to be a good neighbor.
Interesting!

I have to admit though that I don't natural carbonate my homebrew but rather I force carbonate it from CO2 cylinders - not sure it makes any difference really as CO2 is CO2. I find however that when I have tried naturally carbonating beer I don't care for the slight yeasty taste that comes from the secondary fermentation needed to achieve carbonation that way.

As well, I generally don't use bottles but rather have couple of kegs of different brews on tap at any given time, usually an IPA and a porter. I bottle some (from the kegs) only if taking some to someone's home or going on a trip with the RV.

An enjoyable hobby!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Rum. Gin is from juniper berries, not from sugar cane.

What can I say? Nitpicking is my specialty…
I'm no expert on home distilling, after all, it is illegal in North America
isn't it? (wink, wink, - amazing how many places sell the equipment on line!)
but I believe you still start with yeast and a "sugar wash" to ferment and create the alcoholic drink - which s then distilled to increase the potency.

I think that juniper berries - along with other herbs & spices such as coriander,
licorice, angelica etc - all called "botanicals" are added to provide the distinctive flavour.

G&T's are about the only "hard liquor" drinks that I enjoy - never could develop a taste for whiskey!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 12-30-2014, 04:49 PM   #25

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I'm no expert on home distilling, after all, it is illegal in North America
isn't it? (wink, wink, - amazing how many places sell the equipment on line!)
but I believe you still start with yeast and a "sugar wash" to ferment and create the alcoholic drink - which s then distilled to increase the potency.
I'm no expert, either, but certain drinks are traditionally made from the fermented mash of certain plants:
Rum - sugar cane
Gin - juniper berries
Sloe Gin - sloeberries
Vodka - potatoes
Bourbon - corn (and other grains, but at least 51% corn)
Irish whiskey - barley & maize
Single malt Scotch - barley only
Rye - Must have at least 51% rye in the US, but only 10% rye in Canada (yet Alberta Springs in Canada is the only maker using 100% rye, go figure)
Except for rum, none of these drinks require sugar to make them; they use the natural carbohydrates in the grain to feed yeast and make sugar. The mash is made from warm water and sprouted grain. Adding sugar instead of using sprouted grain is a shortcut and the mark of an amateur or someone in a hurry and will affect the taste of the final product.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I'm no expert, either, but certain drinks are traditionally made from the fermented mash of certain plants:
Rum - sugar cane
Gin - juniper berries
Sloe Gin - sloeberries
Vodka - potatoes
Bourbon - corn (and other grains, but at least 51% corn)
Irish whiskey - barley & maize
Single malt Scotch - barley only
Rye - Must have at least 51% rye in the US, but only 10% rye in Canada (yet Alberta Springs in Canada is the only maker using 100% rye, go figure)
Except for rum, none of these drinks require sugar to make them; they use the natural carbohydrates in the grain to feed yeast and make sugar. The mash is made from warm water and sprouted grain. Adding sugar instead of using sprouted grain is a shortcut and the mark of an amateur or someone in a hurry and will affect the taste of the final product.

Hi Protag !

Well, I think we are "close" to saying the same thing!

But I still am not convinced that juniper berries are "mashed" to create the alcohol in gin.

"Mashing" is the process of soaking starch-containing products such as grain in hot water within a specific temperature range and time to convert starches (in the presence of certain enzymes) into a sugary liquid which can then be fermented.

This is true for beer, whiskey, vodka, and (I think,) for gin

My belief was that gin production starts by mashing GRAIN (rather than juniper berries) to produce the necessary sugars for fermentaton, and that juniper berries and other botanicals are added later in the process simply to give the gin its characteristic flavour.

If you have delved into this subject and know me to be wrong, then I humbly concede in advance!

I will owe you a Tanqueray and tonic or three should we meet up sometime around the campfire! (I hope to be in Florida for seven weeks starting mid Feb!)

Cheers ........ Brian.

PS - Apologies to the OP for going on a bit of a tangent from "Soda!"

2005 Classic 30'
Old 12-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #27
Ganado

Peoria , Arizona
IF you like to make your own and use a soda stream, there are a whole host of DIY recipes for making soda flavorings. Just google 'homemade soda syrup' or google your favorite brand here is mine

4 Ways to Make Dr. Pepper - wikiHow

I love the soda stream as you can use if for mixing alcohol drinks and non alcohol
Ganado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:08 PM   #28

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
My belief was that gin production starts by mashing GRAIN (rather than juniper berries) to produce the necessary sugars for fermentaton, and that juniper berries and other botanicals are added later in the process simply to give the gin its characteristic flavour.
Yes, you are correct. Making gin is very similar to flavoring vodka. You start with neutral (unflavored) ethyl alcohol from any grain. Since no specific type of grain is required, juniper berries are the only distinctive ingredient in gin.

By the way, Tanqueray is the only gin that does not contain a perfume to enhance the aroma, making it a "purer" gin than any other brand. The things you learn when one's dad owned a liquor store (among his many post-retirement self-employed businesses)…
Old 12-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
A businessman named Victor Posner bought or owned RC in the 90's. I worked for another company owned by this guy. I never drank RC again, even after this guy died. I will not go into details, for legal reasons, but let's just say I would never buy a product that would put one penny in that man's pocket. Same reason I stopped eating at Arby's all those years ago.
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Those of us of an 'older' stature, may remember when the neighborhood soda retailer, gas station, corner market, etc., sold REAL cane sugar based Coke (& others) from a 'cabinet' with a folding door on top...

Flip up the lid, and inside, the bottled sodas were standing in a bath of ICE COLD water...The bottles were smaller in those days, and nearby, was a wooden crate to place the empties when done... Smart shop owners would trade a piece of bubble gum for an 'empty' to local kids that found em' laying around...

On a hot day, you could 'down' that ice cold Coke in a couple of swigs...Really refreshing, and you were on your way...Not the bloated feeling of today when you feel you have to drink that complete 32 oz cup from the burger joint..!

Soda Shoppes, now all but forgotten, always served a great soda - a couple of pumps on the flavored syrup (cane sugar) dispenser - then fill the wide-mouthed glass with chilled carbonated water from that counter top lever with the glass nozzle...NO ice, unless requested... Some would have their favorite 'mixtures' of syrups to request for customized refreshment..!

Mexican, cane sugar based Coke, has always been a favorite with us when below the border, and these days here at home at some retailers and Mexican markets - a bit expensive, however...

Coke has recently introduced a new cola with some cane sugar content (in a green container) that fits in between regular Coke & Diet Coke, calorie-wise...It does taste better than the corn syrup based products, in MHO, but alas, still not up there with the old stuff or Mexican Coke...

Everything in moderation, I guess, but we still enjoy these beverages on a hot summer day, or perhaps mixed with an adult elixir to ward away the chill of a long winter night..!

Happy New Year...
Old 12-31-2014, 05:33 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Corn syrup, from genetically altered corn? Cane syrup, nope? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
There's more than you'd ever care to know in Wikipedia about this subject. Here's a sample:
A system of sugar tariffs and sugar quotas imposed in 1977 in the United States significantly increased the cost of imported sugar, and U.S. producers sought cheaper sources. HFCS derived from corn is more economical, because the domestic U.S. prices of sugar are twice the global price and the price of corn is kept low through government subsidies paid to growers.
High fructose corn syrup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #33

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
the price of corn is kept low through government subsidies paid to growers.
High fructose corn syrup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, in 2014, the United States produced 366 billion metric tons of corn, almost as much as the rest of the world (110 other corn-producing countries) put together. It's America's signature crop.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Mission Viejo , California
I was convinced, back then, that the whole "New Coke" thing was a huge ruse to replace sugar based Coke with corn syrup Coke.

By pulling it off the market completely long enough, and substituting a lesser cola, the consumers were so happy to get "Coke Classic" back that they didn't notice (or could forgive) the switch.
Bill Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:21 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You right, man! Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:56 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Soda Thread is NOT WORTHLESS idle chit chat

"Waiting on an answer myself...but am amused in the meantime how a recent question re soft drink preferences elicited all kinds of responses... but a universal question like scratch removal that affects us all has only 4 responses...including this especially worthless one. Have a good weekend."
Soda Refills on the Road... IS... not worthless, as reported on another thread.

Example: To clean your battery terminals... a carbonated drink poured upon the terminal that is "cruddy from sulfuric battery acid reacting with the lead" works. It is not brand specific. Beer might not be as carbonated and it is more expensive as an alternative to a Soda.

Pour some of your Carbonated Beverage on the affected terminal(s) and rinse with water. It will "fizz" and clean the area in an emergency situation. Baking soda is a better alternative. Rinse with water. When at a car wash, wash the terminal(s) and areas that were affected to remove any possible sulfuric acid that dissipates from the non sealed battery seals. This works on Airstream Interstate batteries as well.

So... there Mr. Smarty Pants... Sodas are not worthless discussing ON the Road or Off the Road. There. I proved my point, didn't I?

I did leave a response on my experiences on that Thread. It was much better than the critic of this Thread. I recommended using a Coke or Pepsi product...

ARE there other scientific discoveries for the use of Sodas?
Old 01-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Haaaa-rumpppphhhhh!

Anything that interests others is not worthless, in my worhless opinion.

Maggie
Old 01-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #38
Ganado

Peoria , Arizona
And soda will clean your toilet in a pinch
Ganado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:30 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I'm surprised the wine folks haven't spoken up, the sugar content of grapes is real important and is a brix measurment. Mega dollars importance to you if you are growing or buying grapes. Brix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Not all Soda's taste good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganado View Post
And soda will clean your toilet in a pinch
You can use Baking Soda to test for acid content in local drinking water from a well. Add just a "pinch" and it will fizz if the water has a pH less than 7. Seven is neutral. Less than 7 is acid. My Rocky Mountain well water has a pH of 6.5 and needs to be softened. This prevents the well water from dissolving the copper from the inside out. It might take years to do so, but if you find green water stains in your stool water line... your water might be acidic, OR seek immediate medical attention. It could also explain all of the baking mystery cakes that never make it to a table messing up recipes.

So, that makes at least three uses for Soda... if we include Baking Soda.

If the carbonic acid bothers you in a Soda, add Baking Soda to really ruin the taste and it will go flat without the bubbles.

Warm beer tastes much better than warm soda. ... and we have been led to believe that if something tastes good, it is bad for you.

How about the rage in the 1960's on a hot date? Slip an aspirin into a Coke. Never figured that one out. Another use for a soda.