Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2022, 11:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
So, Anyone Surprised by the Inspection at Hoover Dam?

Without opening a “can of worms” on forbidden subjects… I travel with personal security of my favorite flavor….and was surprised to see “no weapons including knives” warnings about vehicles crossing Hoover Dam.

Has anyone been “caught” by surprise in such inspections? …were you merely “turned away”..?? or some more serious action by the inspectors…?

And what about crossing the Tillman Bridge instead?
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:48 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The security check point was established after 911, but after the bridge opened the trafic flow went away. I did not know you could still drive over the dam.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Yes, Richard, I saw your post ten years or so ago…which linked to the Hoover Dam USBR (dot) Gov instructs about crossing the dam… which they updated in 2013… and that is the document which prompts my question: “Has anyone been surprised by those inspections…and what occurred if weapons were found?… is the vehicle simply turned-around..??? or is more serious action taken because one happens to be travelling as a U.S. citizen believing he has “rights” which the gov’t is not supposed to abridge…but a gov’t agency does anyway?

Here’s the link: https://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/crossingguide.pdf
Old 01-09-2022, 01:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
I have a lot of dam questions about this too!. Maybe if you have a dam guide when you visit he can answer some dam questions.
Old 01-09-2022, 01:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
USBR regulation appears to be contrary with Amdmt 2 as well as with itself:

423.30 Weapons, firearms, explosives, and fireworks.
(a) You may possess firearms, ammunition, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other projectile firing devices on Reclamation lands and waterbodies, provided the firearm, ammunition, or other projectile firing device is stowed, transported, and/or carried in compliance with applicable Federal, State, and local law, with the following exceptions:

(1) You must not have a weapon in your possession when at or in a Reclamation facility…… and so on and on…

Old 01-09-2022, 01:22 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
We visited last year while towing the Airstream. They glanced in the bed of the truck and in the door of the camper. I think they’re mostly just looking for large bombs. The prohibition on knives is only inside the buildings there. You can bring them to the dam and the security checkpoint doesn’t care about them. They don’t allow firearms though. If you had one and were unable to turn around before the checkpoint and you told them, I think they’d let you turn around there without trouble, but I’m just guessing. I know some federal things like airport security have mandatory penalties for firearms, but with that you agree beforehand when buying a ticket not to bring them.
There’s no restrictions or inspections for the bridge - they’re only on the road to the dam, which no longer connects through back to the highway and is used only for visiting the dam. If you don’t need to visit the dam, then you don’t need to be concerned with the dam rules.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:24 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
1964 22' Safari
Houston , Texas
Hoover Dam Inspection

No not surprised - did it in May of last year - they were very nice - beware of the construction there though, we picked up a screw in the airstream tire, slow leak, discovered the next morning thanks to the TPMS. The surprise for us, was only one way in and out, but still worth it.
Castiniron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:57 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Rancho Santa Margarita , CA
When I was there a few years ago it was the tour that wouldn't allow my pocket knife to enter the dam. I had to return it to the car.
Glen Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:19 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Florence , Alabama
In November 2021, they asked to walk around the camper and have me open storage compartments. They just glanced in each one. They asked to see inside the propane storage box and the camper. They just glanced around without ever going inside the camper. They also asked me to open the camper shell on each side and glanced in. So no biggie, 2-3 minutes tops.
losfeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
The security check point was established after 911, I did not know you could still drive over the dam.
Last time I was there, you could drive over the dam but it only ended in a parking lot with a nice view of the dam. I did have to stop for a security check, but I felt they just wanted to look at me. I didn't fit the profile and was waved through.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
We tried to visit about 2 years ago with just the tow vehicle. We full time so the long bed with shell was packed to the gills. The inspectors asked to look inside and told us I would have to take everything out so they could check it all. Naturally, I would have to put everything back, by myself. I thought they were joking, but I guess they don't joke.

We said no thank you and turned around.

However, it is good to see this thread so I can be totally unarmed the next time we try, completely empty.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:46 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
USBR regulation appears to be contrary with Amdmt 2 as well as with itself:

423.30 Weapons, firearms, explosives, and fireworks.
(a) You may possess firearms, ammunition, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other projectile firing devices on Reclamation lands and waterbodies, provided the firearm, ammunition, or other projectile firing device is stowed, transported, and/or carried in compliance with applicable Federal, State, and local law, with the following exceptions:

(1) You must not have a weapon in your possession when at or in a Reclamation facility…… and so on and on…

Where is the conflict with itself? One line (a) refers broadly to lands, while the other (1) refers narrowly to facilities.

You think it is unreasonable to restrict weapons within facilities that impact national security?
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:54 AM   #13
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
“Has anyone been surprised by those inspections…and what occurred if weapons were found?… is the vehicle simply turned-around..??? or is more serious action taken because one happens to be travelling as a U.S. citizen believing he has “rights” which the gov’t is not supposed to abridge…but a gov’t agency does anyway?
Oh gawd... here we go again...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:28 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Escondido , CA
Quote:
Without opening a “can of worms” on forbidden subjects… I travel with personal security of my favorite flavor….and was surprised to see “no weapons including knives” warnings about vehicles crossing Hoover Dam.

Has anyone been “caught” by surprise in such inspections? …were you merely “turned away”..?? or some more serious action by the inspectors…?

And what about crossing the Tillman Bridge instead?
Yes we were surprised, No it wasn't a big deal at all. Officer "Sir, do you have any firearms? Me being truthful, "Yes, we do". Officer, "Sir, I can't let you in the park, please use the turnaround just ahead." Me "Thank you, goodbye"
dsatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:17 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Austin , Texas
A buddy of mine was pulling out of a Grand Canyon rafting trip after 9/11 and was getting his flat bed trailer searched. The officer doing the search was very interested in the large surplus military ammunition containers. While trying to explain searching full toilets headed for a clean out was a bad idea a uniformed Grand Canyon park ranger who was in the vehicle line came up and volunteered, “yeah - I wouldn’t open those if you could avoid it.”
Old 01-16-2022, 06:22 PM   #16
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Unfortunately I lost all of my firearms in a boating accident. If I still owned and transported any I would inform the inspector of the Federal Safe Passage Provision for Firearms. Assuming you meet the definition of legal ownership.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:35 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
Where is the conflict with itself? One line (a) refers broadly to lands, while the other (1) refers narrowly to facilities.

You think it is unreasonable to restrict weapons within facilities that impact national security?
Restricting pocket knives, yes, unreasonable.

Also unreasonable is the notion that restricting these weapons has any effect on national security.. but that really isn't the point.
cgseanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp View Post
Restricting pocket knives, yes, unreasonable.

Also unreasonable is the notion that restricting these weapons has any effect on national security.. but that really isn't the point.
Those that were on planes hijacked with box cutters might debate otherwise they were able.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:39 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
Those that were on planes hijacked with box cutters might debate otherwise they were able.
Last I checked, box cutters were illegal on planes. So no, restricting them did not do anything to stop the bad guys.
cgseanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:27 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Tucson , Arizona
Patriot Act

I believe these restrictions were part of the so-called Patriot Act. People across the political spectrum had grave reservations about some of the provisions in it. However, dams were identified as possible targets for terrorists. In spite of their vast and imposing bulk they are more vulnerable than they appear. Years ago I went on a tour of the power station there, huge turbines of such precision that they could easily be sabotaged. Destruction or disabling this dam would threaten water and power supplies throughout the Southwest. So, these restrictions are not as silly as they appear, though I wonder if they would deter actual terrorists.
nmzouk is offline   Reply With Quote