Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
tellico plains , tn
Thumbs up Snowbirding

we have heard of 'snowbirds' but never quite understood the process....
the weather was particularly cold in tennessee after christmas so we packed up the airstream and headed to the rio grande valley, tx. for a planned stay of 10 days...............45 days later we have returned home.
i may be a little slow to catch on but now i realize what snowbirds are all about.......it's GREAT ! not to say that the nights got a little cool but by 9 am the sun came out and by lunch it was in the 70's.
those who have not been to 'the valley' will find 500 campgrounds spread along approx 60 miles. the campgrounds of course cater to the myriad of campers typically called 'winter texans'.
the rates are approx $500.00 per month to include electricity and propane.
we found the locals extremely friendly, the grocery stores (H.E.B.) must surely be the best in the country, oranges were $5.00 20lbs and fresh pineapple $2.50 , shrimp $5.97 lb.
the whole rio grande valley area was incredibly clean (don't mess with texas) and the roads very well laid out.
all in all it was a '10' of a trip and we hope to return to snowbird land for many years to come............enjoyed every minute of it.
p.s. we met many campers who had crossed into progress, mexico and purchased prescription drugs and had extensive dental work performed at a fraction of the price....can't wait for next winter.
ohwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I knew you would like it!
Old 02-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Bowling Green , Kentucky
What city or cities does one search under to find the rv parks?
Stephen Ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Weslaco, San Juan, Harlingen, Mission,Bayview, Port Isabel, Port Mansfield....I'd avoid Brownsville...it is to close to the Border problems...actually I don't even see a border of any kind in Brownsville.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
tellico plains , tn
snowbirding

we stayed in mission, tx. at a campground called 'mission bell'.
incredibly friendly staff, very central to everything. we have stayed at campgrounds where nobody said hello, waved or kiss my rumpus.........at mission bell virtually everyone waves, greets and will help you out if needed.
the showers etc were beyond spotless, pool room, library, swimming pool (salt), tons of stuff to do. i give them a 9.5.
ohwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
SNOWBIRDING:

How about a list of the best places in the USA to winter in an Airstream.
1. Warm Days
2. No (or rare ) freezing at night.
3. Pleasant environment.
4. Plenty of things to do in the area.
5. Fair pricing.

I'm planning my future winters now that I have chosen to retire early.
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Grand Master, our list is like yours, but includes low population and dry climate. Been to many states, found Tucson, AZ area top of our list.

But Airstreams are for travel, the big rigs are for sittin' all winter. Spend a month or two at all of them while you can.

Doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Grand Master, our list is like yours, but includes low population and dry climate. Been to many states, found Tucson, AZ area top of our list.

But Airstreams are for travel, the big rigs are for sittin' all winter. Spend a month or two at all of them while you can.

Doug
I couldn't agree more.

I only want to stay in any one spot for a maximum of 30 days. Even though we have traveled extensively, and been to all 50 States, there are still many, many places I have not been.

Hence, I need to collect a long list of possible destinations to winter in.
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Tucson , Arizona
Viva Brownsville

Quote:
Weslaco, San Juan, Harlingen, Mission,Bayview, Port Isabel, Port Mansfield....I'd avoid Brownsville...it is to close to the Border problems...actually I don't even see a border of any kind in Brownsville.
I'm not sure why Brownsville gets slammed so often. I spent last summer working as a Park Ranger at Palo Alto NHP. All the way down there people would roll their eyes when I told them where I was going.
I stayed at the Rio RV Park, 12 miles from Boca Chica Beach. Great location. I found the people of Brownsville to be some of the friendliest, most accomodating people I have ever met. One evening, returning to the Argosy after the Battlefield closed, a hose to the water pump broke. I went to Home Depot at 5:45. They couldn't help, but gave me directions to an auto parts store close to the border that was just closing as I arrived. The guy opened back up for me and fabricated a hose that is still working today. Many times I found myself to be the only white guy in Wal-Mart and was never made to feel unwelcome or treated differently.
I made some great friends there.

Gatorboy
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We visited with some fellow travelers at the VIP La Feria campground, which is Passport America and very nice. There are many, many campgrounds and RV parks in the area, which looked mostly full. Seems to be a popular area.

Crossing into Mexico seems to be done regularly and to great advantage for inexpensive medications, dental work and all sorts of items sold within a couple of blocks of the border. We didn't go, but were told that some areas are heavily patrolled to protect tourists and these are the places to choose.

We discovered South Padre Island, where highway 4 dead ends at the beach, just beyond Boca Chica. Turn right or left and park for FREE. Lots of fishing going on there, too.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2920.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	121837  
Old 02-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
best of winter

this winter..
.thanksgiving we left the big ben area of texas after a 2 week stay. next stop a tour of new mexico's state parks along the pecos river and then winding down the rio grande to san antonio, NM to visit the bosque wildlife refuge and the valley of fire..
then US 60 west to datil, nm and then to fool hollow state park, show low, az on december 14th...all with nice weather, warm days, cool nights.....

we beat it out of show low as a blizzard was arriving and headed for lost dutchman state park, az and we spent the next two weeks in pleasant weather in benson, az, patagonia lake and tucson , ending the year at picacho state park, where we nearly froze......

then to yuma, buckskin state park and lake havasu taking us to the middle of january...again with pleasant weather....

then it was off to california; the mojave national preserve,and tepcopa hot springs before jumping off into death valley where we stayed at furnace creek, mesquite springs, near scotty's castle and then exited at stovepipe wells...all with very decent weather ...

then enroute to coarsegold california and yosemite we stayed at red rock canyon state park and colonel allensworth state parks as we traversed up the san jaquin valley and its infamous "thule fog". we stayed a week in the vicinity of yosemite with just beautiful weather...

then venturing to the coast and morro bay...just beautiful and then southward to lake casitas, inland from ventura, ca.; this completing january and starting off feburary in beautiful warm weather b y the lake...

Onward then to far southern california and the temecula /san deigo area with splendid weather...

and here we sit at borregio springs, ca basking in the sunshine, headed back to arizona and then back to texas in march for dogwoods blooming in the piney woods of east texas..

a more splendid winter could not be found.
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Thumbs up Snowbirding, Great thread!

Y'all just stay south, cause 'cowhampshire is slammed in SNOW! "WOOF"!

Here's what a snowbird was, trying to find it's nest there on a tall tree!
We call them, "blustery", this winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'NewHampsha SnowBird.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	121845  
TRfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
We spent two weeks in the Tucson area this past February (our daughter lives in Green Valley) and it was too short. Snowbirding is the way we want to go from now on, meaning long stretches on the road. A month in one place max, since there are so many places to visit.

Next winter we plan to head down to Tucson in mid-January for our daughter's wedding and just stay there until mid-February. We'll find two or other three places to visit and come back to Oregon in early April or thereabouts.

Having an Airstream represents freedom to me - getting out on the open road with our 'home' right behind us. I loves me my Bambi.
Kathleenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwally View Post
we have heard of 'snowbirds' but never quite understood the process....
the weather was particularly cold in tennessee after christmas so we packed up the airstream and headed to the rio grande valley, tx. for a planned stay of 10 days...............45 days later we have returned home.
i may be a little slow to catch on but now i realize what snowbirds are all about.......it's GREAT ! not to say that the nights got a little cool but by 9 am the sun came out and by lunch it was in the 70's.
those who have not been to 'the valley' will find 500 campgrounds spread along approx 60 miles. the campgrounds of course cater to the myriad of campers typically called 'winter texans'.
the rates are approx $500.00 per month to include electricity and propane.
we found the locals extremely friendly, the grocery stores (H.E.B.) must surely be the best in the country, oranges were $5.00 20lbs and fresh pineapple $2.50 , shrimp $5.97 lb.
the whole rio grande valley area was incredibly clean (don't mess with texas) and the roads very well laid out.
all in all it was a '10' of a trip and we hope to return to snowbird land for many years to come............enjoyed every minute of it.
p.s. we met many campers who had crossed into progress, mexico and purchased prescription drugs and had extensive dental work performed at a fraction of the price....can't wait for next winter.
Keep up the good work and you will be ready to BOONDOCK the winter away in Quartzsite AZ.For a total of $180 you can boondock here 7 months.All you need is your Generator and solar panels.http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...-49173-35.html
Ride like you stole it.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #15
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRfour View Post
Y'all just stay south, cause 'cowhampshire is slammed in SNOW! "WOOF"!

Here's what a snowbird was, trying to find it's nest there on a tall tree!
We call them, "blustery", this winter.
That is such a SWEET picture !! I love birds...

Tags
rio grande valley tx, travel