Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2005, 08:51 AM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Smooth ride

This is embarrasing to tell, but I have to let it out because it still amazes me.

On the way to the International, we spent the night at Turpentine Park where they rescue big cats. There were 2 tigers and a lion within 20 feet of the trailer.

Their RV spaces aren't terribly well laid out and the dump on the Classic 25 is in the middle of the trailer, so I had to move the trailer to dump the tanks. There was a lot of confusion and I forgot to close the bumper storage drawer. The pins were laying loose on the bumper.

We drove the 1/4 mile gravel road out of the park and got onto curvy Arkansas 23. About then, I wondered whther I had closed the drawer, but there was no place to pull off in the next 7 twisting miles. I was finally able to pull into a gravel parking lot at the edge of Eureka Springs.

Lo and behold, the bumper drawer was wide open and there were the pins, still laying on the bumper, just where I tossed them.

The trailer has Centramatic balancers and rode very smooth, but I am still amazed that the pins were still there after that distance.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:02 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Wink

Lucky John
I'm surprised you never put some type of chain on the pins. Not surprised that Airstream didn't though.

So do you plan to put the Centramatics balancers on the new purchase?

Looking forward to your punch-out list on the new trailer. And a comparison matrix on the 3 you have checked out and modified.

Which modification do you miss the most? and what have you got planned to modify on the new trailer?

Also what about the name of this one? And did you ever logo the 2nd one?

Flicka
Hit'nMiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
John,

what's "Centramatic balancers"?

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:05 AM   #4
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
John,

what's "Centramatic balancers"?

Kevin
Do a search on "Centramatic". There has been quite a lot of discussion.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-25-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Here's a link for Forum discussions:

Centramatic

and the online website:

www.centramatic.com

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:19 AM   #6
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitnMiss
Lucky John
I'm surprised you never put some type of chain on the pins. Not surprised that Airstream didn't though.

So do you plan to put the Centramatics balancers on the new purchase?

Looking forward to your punch-out list on the new trailer. And a comparison matrix on the 3 you have checked out and modified.

Which modification do you miss the most? and what have you got planned to modify on the new trailer?

Also what about the name of this one? And did you ever logo the 2nd one?

Flicka
I never thought of chaining them, although it would be practical. I just depend on my walkaround to check that the drawer is closed. Having the pins laying on the bumper is probably good in that respect since the drawer could be closed and not locked with the pins hanging out of sight under the bumper. They are pretty obvious laying there on top. Unfortunately, some interesting activity among the big cats interrupted my usual departure regimen that day and I never walked around the trailer.

I will put the balancers on the new trailer in the near future. Wish I had made transferring them part of the deal, but that one slipped past me.

I have already modified the bedside cabinet and installed an oak knife block and a special little oak spice rack. Next will be larger magazine racks and some shelves in the back of the deep wardrobes. Also on the horizon will be to replace the battery switch with a marine switch that will select individual batteries like I did on the 25. No need to do the floor in this one, I like the tile-pattern vinyl.

I already have my WBCCI numbers and the name "Sabre-Dog III" on it as well as a forum decal.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-25-2005, 10:41 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
I thought you were going to say you found a lion cub in the drawer. That would be more than emnbarassing!
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote