Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Would be really nice for us that don't know would be some in progress pictures of what is under the slide, and how the carpet is removed from under there.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #62
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
325 lbs of pet space

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasjad View Post
Just purchased our 30 ft so classic. We have 2 big dogs so the floor space is appreciated. Just taking our first trip to Utah.
You'll discover a slide is the best way to accommodate large dogs and 'streaming. My two Danes are both over 150lbs each and they sleep together on the living room floor - a feat not possible in a standard.

Enjoy Utah!
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member

In answer to GCinSC2's question - we have a 2007 30' with S/O. We purchased it in Jan right before I retired. I've done a bunch of "upgrades" already - they include:

- Switched to all LED lights
- Installed 4 Lifeline batteries and a Magnum Inverter (I plan to install solar this summer)
- Installed a GPS "anti-theft" system/alarm (I posted something on that about a month ago).
- Installed a back view camera (I like to know what's behind me when I'm driving/parking)
- Installed a separate GPS tracker so I could create "maps" of our trips using Google Maps (see attachment).

This summer I plan to:
- Install solar (as above)
- Build a cover for the AS
- remove the carpet and install a different flooring material (why did AS think putting a pale yellow carpet right by the entrance was a good idea?!?)

Who ever said retirement was boring?

Rasjad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	211651  
rasjad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #64
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Rasjad,

Haven't found out if retirement is boring, hope to someday.

If this has not been covered by your getting to know your trailer, several things worth checking. If you've been there done that, just post the pic of the T shirt.

Brake actuator, AS did a recall but if you still have the grey plastic housing Actibrake, it needs a close eye or just scrap it.

Brake hoses, again an AS recall to R&R with longer ones that don't kink.

Found this about my 2007. But here's one that might scratch your head, what is the axle rating of YOUR trailers axles? Not any nameplate data stuff, crawl under get the AS P/N and check that # in your parts manual for its ratings. I bet your nameplate says 5,000 Lb/Axle. What is the axle rating? If you need further advice on this let me know.

15's vs. 16's too many threads but all show concern on heavier tandems and 15" ST's.

Almost all of my efforts have been running gear issues but those 4 piston disc brakes are strong and smooth.

Slides are cool.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Rasjad,

Haven't found out if retirement is boring, hope to someday.

If this has not been covered by your getting to know your trailer, several things worth checking. If you've been there done that, just post the pic of the T shirt.

Brake actuator, AS did a recall but if you still have the grey plastic housing Actibrake, it needs a close eye or just scrap it.

Brake hoses, again an AS recall to R&R with longer ones that don't kink.

Found this about my 2007. But here's one that might scratch your head, what is the axle rating of YOUR trailers axles? Not any nameplate data stuff, crawl under get the AS P/N and check that # in your parts manual for its ratings. I bet your nameplate says 5,000 Lb/Axle. What is the axle rating? If you need further advice on this let me know.

15's vs. 16's too many threads but all show concern on heavier tandems and 15" ST's.

Almost all of my efforts have been running gear issues but those 4 piston disc brakes are strong and smooth.

Slides are cool.

Gary
I will definitely check out those things. We purchased it from a dealer and they gave us a 1 year warranty so if there are any repairs I'm sure they will cover it.

I just purchased four 15" ST tires a month ago. I think I'll run them for now.

Rasjad
rasjad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
We bought our trailer used, and it had set out in the sun on top of a hill in California since new, with the slide out. The slide awning material was bad. So, I called Zipp Dee and ordered a new fabric. It was not what I'd call cheap, and it was not a snap to change, but we got it done. It was one of those things that looked easy, but you do need to read, understand, and follow the instructions. I could do another one very quickly having done one already.

We have an '02 and I'm wondering how long it will be before I will need the ZipDee replaced on my slide. Anyone have a similar replacement?
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #67

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I guess how long the awning lasts is based on how it gets treated. The slide awning does contact the top edge of the slide unit so you do have a friction point there. I haven't looked carefully at that point of contact on my '04.

I have had the loop on the slide awning pull strap tear so I can't use the hook to pull it out. For all intents that long strap loop would be important if you want to open the awning prior to the slide extending. In my case I always open the slide first prior to pulling the awning out. Extending the slide partially unrolls the awning which allows the strap to be reached by hand.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We had to replace the slide awning on our '08, but only because it sat out in the sun, and under a tree for five years before we bought it. That should give you some idea how long it will last. It would have been OK if not for the tree stuff that wouldn't come off.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #69
1 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
2006 25' International CCD
Marietta , Georgia
We have had 2-a 2001 and a 2004 Lounge slide out and they are great. They are used more for destination camping. 3 months in Fl every winter is perfect for a 34-slide. It seems like twice the room of a regular 34.
benwilbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I like the ones with the lounge slide and the fireplace in the front.
I wish they would make them again.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:12 PM   #71
1 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Marietta , Georgia
We sold out 2001 and bought the 2004 mainly to get the fireplace. Some people think it is overkill but it is great in cool weather. Now if I could find a way to replace the outdated built-in TV with a flat screen.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I 'm sure
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I'm sure Jackson Center could customize the cabinet to accommodate a modern television.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #74
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
2003 30' Classic S/O
Buffalo , New York
Hello all,

Pappy, count me in too. Seems there are a bunch of niche concerns we SO folks face. It would be great to get alerts when a SO person posts something specific to us.

Mine’s a 2003 Classic 30' W/ SO (dinette slides out for me). This will be the fourth summer I’ve had it. I really love the space it adds, and most folks who come inside don’t realize it has a SO. In fact, I’ve had to take a couple guys outside to see the bit hanging out.

The space is great, but with anything there are tradeoffs. Folks have been talking about the extra weight, which is true. But, I really wish the gaucho bed could fold down with the SO being in. Not being able to really use the gaucho bed with the SO in is a pain when not on a totally level surface. I end up in a lot of places that are a faux boondocking situations where I can’t find a level spot to save my life. I guess I would really love to have/use some kind auto-leveling hydraulic jack system, that is if the frame could take the stress. But, that sounds like a question for the folks at the Mothership.

I often travel with my brother, both of us are in our 40s, and nether of us is married nor have any kids. With mine having the queen size bed in the back, and both of us being just under 6’ tall sleeping in the folded down dinette is out of the question. On the same topic, I really wish the gaucho was made by a bed manufacture in stead of a couch manufacture. I can sit lots of places that aren’t as comfortable as I’d like, but sleeping in what amounts to the gutter of a bowling alley is another kettle of fish completely.

I too am amazed that there are only 84 SOs out there. That number does seem low to me for the number of years it was an option. Perhaps that number was for one model and/or for one length.

Pappy, we have an appointment scheduled for mid July to have the carpet removed at Jackson Center, and they, gulp, quoted us $4,500 for removal and replacement with a wood laminate or linoleum product. I still can’t understand why/who would design anything for camping that has an almost white colored carpet at the door. And, for that matter under the dining table too. They must have never heard the “On Top of Spaghetti” song. To me it sounds like you’re getting a deal with the quote you have.

My SO is a bit out of adjustment, from my needing to put fold down the gaucho on “almost level” parking spots, so Jackson Center will be doing the whole job.

To answer the FAQ:

1) Does it leak? No, ours has never leaked.

I don’t think we have had any leaking due to the SO, but I’m trying to track down a leak now, so I can’t be sure. And, I’ve never had any problems bringing it in or out.

2) I didn't know Airstream made a slide out! Yes, from 2001-2009 sliders were made in 28', 30', 31' and 34' models, I believe all Classics.

3) Isn't it way heavier than an AS w/o a slide? Yes, it is a little heavier, but not by much, about 300 lbs. is what I was told.

My manual says hitch weight for mine is 1,025lb., and w/o the SO 730lb. so, 295lb. difference in just the tongue weight. True weight (UVW) is 8,000 lb. on mine, and 7,230 lb. (UVW) w/o the SO. Total weight difference of 770 lb. heaver for having the side out. [For those who need all the details, the GVWR for mine w/ SO is 9,100 lb. and 8,700 w/o the SO, 400 lb. difference]

4) Is the slide worth that much extra room? For us, it sure makes a big difference.

It makes a big difference for me, yes! Spending rainy days inside while having the SO in becomes a bit claustrophobic for me.

5) What's the difference in a slide mechanical wise from 2001 to 2009? Absolutely nothing according to the VP of AS. I asked the same question since we bought our 2002 in 2010 and I asked him the question. Apparently, once As developed the electric motivated slide, it never changed.

From my reading it seems there was a minor change of the “wheels” that ride on the carpet, from steel to some kind of synthetic.

6) Can I come in and see it? Sure and no, it isn't for sale.

I’d say the same thing. If you see me out there I’m happy to have you in for a peek, but it’s not for sale.

To add to a couple more comments that have been coming up frequently in this thread:

Our awning over the SO has lost some of a run of its stitching, which I feel is due to a friction spot on the SO.

ZoominC6, I love the look of what you’ve done!! I think next year’s upgrades for me will be some new upholstery. At 12 years old my dinette seats are getting a bit thread bare in spots.

I don’t know if the kind folks at Jackson Center will let me photograph the work as they are doing it, but if they do I’ll post what I take.
BWGuinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #75

Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Sliders Unite!!

I do know that there was a change is the gaskets early in the production of the slides. I was up at Jackson Center in the summer of 2002 and met a fellow there with a 2001 unit that was getting a retrofit of the gaskets due to leakage. They actually sent a couple of guys from the factory to the service bay to do the work since they were more familiar with the slide. According to the owner of the trailer, the Service Center noted that improvements had been made in the gaskets.

There definitely were Safari slide outs built. I saw some of those at my local dealership. I find it hard to believe only 81 slides were built during the production life of the slides.

I didn't realize the sofa would not fold out if the slide was in. We've only used the sofa as a bed once since we got the trailer. The leather sofa in our '04 isn't very flat and really needs a base layer on it when it is folded down to fill in the valleys. My son who slept on it said it left a lot to be desired. It obviously was upholstered for looks rather than comfort.

The key to keeping the slide healthy is to only open and close it with the jack stands down. If you do it without that support you will torque the trailer frame which can allow the slide to get out of alignment as it goes out or retracts. The level of the trailer is unimportant as long as the jack stands are down and supporting the trailer frame. Our dealer beat that into my head quite a few times during our time spent when we picked up the trailer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #76
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
There are slide outs in the Safari model as I have one and have seen two others. Using the sofa as a bed with the slide in is not an issue in my 28', however, we have never used it for people. We place a large, heavy duty furniture blanket on it, normally used by moving companies, as a coverlet and the dogs sleep there in the winter time on the few dates we couldn't use the slide - they appreciate being off the cold floor. The rest of the time they prefer the added floor space of the slide in the out position.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
BWGuinness, in my experience J/C was very accommodating with pictures during my repair. Seemed as long as I stayed out of the way, they didn't mind.
If you were able to get pix of that mod, you'd be my personal hero. After six years, six children, and a dog- the carpet has got to go. I'll be doing it myself, but I don't want to tear into it until I have a better understanding of what exactly is going on under that dinette.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #78
1 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Has anyone had any experience in replacing the large rubber seal/wipe on the slide. Mine is coming off at the front top curve. They use metal clips in the rubber to hold it to the slide and they rust over time. I had the same problem in the 2001 slider we had and took it to the factory to have it repaired. They charged $800 and the cost of the trip too made the repair a little expensive. That has been about 8 years ago.
I am thinking about ordering a new seal and putting it on myself. Has anyone done this? Has anyone just repaired or reinstalled the old seal? Mine is only coming off at the curve and seems OK in other places.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #79
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Ben,

Mine came loose across the top. IIRC I got some exterior double sided carpet tape and fixed it. In order to keep the awning out of the way, I removed the arms at the slide and carefully lifted them up and rested on top of body. Awning stayed put. Applied tape.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

Kerrville , Texas
Slide out Mods

Good morning, I just came across the slide out section on the forum.
I read your reply about what you said about changing your a/s. I noticed the floor in your trailer. This is something we have been wanting to do but have no idea how to go about it. Would you be so kind to kind of put me on THR right path in changing the floor to something similar to yours.
Thanks for any help you could give me.
Richg
richg is offline   Reply With Quote