Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
Sleeping Dunes National Lakeshore, Michigan

We are looking at volunteering as camp hosts next summer for 4 - 6 weeks there. We have never been to Michigan. Has anyone visited Sleeping Dunes and the surrounding area?
Deb Trimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
I was there last year. It's pretty desilate. Alot of BLM forest around the area. You can go to the islands backpacking. One ferry a day, take everything in and out with you. Traverse city isn't to far way. They have a cherry festival.
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Sunset Beach , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Trimble View Post
We are looking at volunteering as camp hosts next summer for 4 - 6 weeks there. We have never been to Michigan. Has anyone visited Sleeping Dunes and the surrounding area?
It is one our favorite areas. I actually did the hike from the parking lot to Lake Michigan over/thru the dunes. It is not for the faint of heart.

If you enjoy the winery experience, there is an abundance in Michigan, some with breathtaking views up on the Mission Point peninsula, between the East and West arms of Traverse Bay.
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have been there and to Sleeping bear or big bear, whatever it is up there by traverse city.

We found this area very pretty, spent some time camping and took the grand babies who loved it. It's a beautiful part of the country, if you have never seen it.

Maggie
Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Great area!! We've been summering in the sleeping beat dunes area for years. Look at a map and find M-22. It is a beautiful drive. Glen Arbor and Empire are nice towns right near the dunes. Leland, Northport, Sutton's Bay, and Traverse City are also nearby. A Hamburger at Art's (tater tot Capitol of the world) is a must in Glen Arbor. If you need any local advice, drop us a note and we'll try to help.
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Have not been to Sleeping Dunes, but just visited Michigan for the first time a month ago and loved it - cannot wait to go back. We spent most of our time on the UP, which was gorgeous.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Sleeping Bear Dunes Area

All of northern Michigan is a great place to be in the summer time. Daytime temperatures are usually in the high 70's or low 80's with lows in the high 50's. I would spend all summer there is I could. One of our favorite places is Higgens Lake. It has two state parks with more than 300 sites at each park. At north Higgens lake you can watch the sun come up in the morning over the lake and watch it set in the evening. Honestly you go out the first 100 yards and the water is up to your knees; after the next 100 yards it is up to your chest and then it drops off. A nice sandy bottom for the first 200 yards. Visibility is about 25 feet. It is the eighth most beautiful lake in the world according to National Geographic. There are lots of other beautiful lakes and rivers in northern Michigan also. Enjoy your stay there.

Dan

Here are some northern Michigan photos by Lake Huron.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9506.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	169021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9516.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	169022  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9522.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	169023  
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
Thanks everyone for your replies. It sounds like we need to plan sometime either before or after we volunteer so see some other places there. We are planning on going by Jackson Center, OH on our way up. Only had an AS two years.

Are the mosquitos real bad there or it is about like it is in Texas. Many cases and deaths from West Nile this summer. I was glad I was in Oregon.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauxter View Post
It is one our favorite areas. I actually did the hike from the parking lot to Lake Michigan over/thru the dunes. It is not for the faint of heart.

If you enjoy the winery experience, there is an abundance in Michigan, some with breathtaking views up on the Mission Point peninsula, between the East and West arms of Traverse Bay.
Bauxter, Did you stay at the campgrounds in the National Lakeshore. We are looking volunteering as camp hosts at Platte or D. H. Day Campgrounds. They have asked us if we have a preference. Since we have never been there, thought I would ask on the forum.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
Sounds like I want to spend a few days at Higgins Lake. Thanks
Old 09-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwestman View Post
Great area!! We've been summering in the sleeping beat dunes area for years. Look at a map and find M-22. It is a beautiful drive. Glen Arbor and Empire are nice towns right near the dunes. Leland, Northport, Sutton's Bay, and Traverse City are also nearby. A Hamburger at Art's (tater tot Capitol of the world) is a must in Glen Arbor. If you need any local advice, drop us a note and we'll try to help.
Looked up M22. Found it in the D. H. Campground in the section where you can use a generator. Did I find the correct site/campground?

The volunteer jobs under consideration are camp hosts in either the Platte or D. H. Day campgrounds. They have asked us if we have a preference. Thought I would try to find out info here on the forum.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Trimble

Looked up M22. Found it in the D. H. Campground in the section where you can use a generator. Did I find the correct site/campground?

The volunteer jobs under consideration are camp hosts in either the Platte or D. H. Day campgrounds. They have asked us if we have a preference. Thought I would try to find out info here on the forum.
I would pick Platte River, the national campground first and Dh day second. Although we did see the camp host sites at Dh day all had full hookups, the rest of us mere mortals would not be so lucky. DH Day was having a problem with their water supply as of 2 weeks ago. I'd check to see if that has been corrected. Mosquitos usually aren't too bad particularly close to Lake MI where a wind usually gets rid of them. It is smart to take precautions though as we had quite a few cases of West Nile Virus reported this year. You will enjoy the area! Don't hesitate to drop a note if we can help.

We are going through Jackson Center in a couple of weeks just for the heck of it.
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
We went to the Sleeping Bear sand dunes last summer

Beautiful area....we had no idea Michigan has sand dunes and big ones too. We found all of Michigan to be beautiful......it was a real treat. I would go for it. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Los Altos , California
We just spent 4 days at Sleeping Bear dunes. It rained most of the time, but there were some great drives when it stopped - as well as one interesting time on the beach when it HAILED for about 15 minutes! Wow! The beach in a hailstorm!

We stayed at Platte River, which was quiet and pleasant (although it may be quite different in summer). As many have mentioned above, we were amazed by the beauty of the Michigan dunes and shore - what a well kept secret.

You can read more and see pics of our visit at our blog - Cross Country Cat:

Cross Country Cat: Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore

sandi

PS We met and had lengthy discussions with the National Park volunteers while we were there - it turned out they have a 25FB International and were camping at Day campground. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you their email address.