Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2021, 08:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Sitting in MOVING Airstream... LEGAL?

Are there actual LAWs forbidding anyone to be within a Travel Trailer while traveling? Two or more people, exempt? Pets? A Rock Band with drummer? Paved roads? Unpaved roads in the National Forest, exempt?

How would anyone know if someone was in the trailer when moving?

Maybe... there is a reason if this is true to keep witnesses... figuring out why a trailer can take itself apart, without tools when being towed. The 'squeaking and squawking' probably quits... while moving. Our Airstream 'Squeaks and Squawks' when stationary.

Would you need 'Trailer Seat Belts' if sitting at the table?l Can you take a nap on the Bed?

Can you Bake a Cake while moving... or stationary but attached in a Parking Lot?

"Yes, Some US states like Minnesota, Kansas, Maryland, Iowa, Indiana, Arizona, Missouri, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, and Nebraska allows you to ride in the back of your travel trailer legally. But there are some US states that require you to install safety glass in the trailer to transport the passengers legally." Bing Search

Why are the listed States not arranged A to Z? But random?

Oh... maybe this is why our trailers have or do not have Safety Glass? Do Airstreams? Tempered... but 'safety glass'?
Old 09-20-2021, 08:22 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Salt Lake City , Utah
Someone hand me a Drink, double, and a large popcorn! This will be a great one [emoji2357]
ZeGermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I don't understand why someone would want to ride in a trailer while towing. I would imagine it would be an uncomfortable ride. When we tow, we put the dinette table down, put some things on the bed (camping chairs, foldable screen tent, etc.) and on the dinette. There wouldn't be a comfortable place to sit in our Airstream.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
if you had an accident. you would lose all claims if someone was inside.
'
my uncle was an adjuster. he was told my the big boss to find any reason to not pay out a claim.
people inside a trailer while driving is and easy claims to reject
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Yeah, no seatbelts!

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 09-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
State Legal?
Alabama No
Alaska No
Arizona Yes
Arkansas No
California No
Colorado No
Connecticut No
District Of Columbia No
Delaware No
Florida No
Georgia No
Hawaii No
Idaho No
Illinois No
Indiana Yes
Iowa Yes
Kansas Yes
Kentucky No
Louisiana No
Maine No
Maryland Yes
Massachusetts No
Michigan Yes
Minnesota Yes
Mississippi No
Missouri Yes
Montana No
Nebraska Yes
Nevada No
New Hampshire No
New Jersey No
New Mexico No
New York No
North Carolina Yes
North Dakota No
Ohio No
Oklahoma No
Oregon No
Pennsylvania No
Rhode Island No
South Carolina No
South Dakota No
Tennessee No
Texas No
Utah No
Vermont No
Virginia No
Washington No
West Virginia No
Wisconsin No
Wyoming No
Is It Legal to Ride in a Truck Camper?

Now, let’s talk about a truck camper – Can you ride in a truck camper? Luckily, if you have a truck camper, you are allowed to ride in it in almost all the US states except Mississippi, Maine, New Hampshire, Arkansas, and Pennsylvania. Some US states require you to install a safety glass and access to the truck’s cab section. At the same time, some US states also require you to transport passengers aging 14 or more.

Towing laws handed down by the federal government are a bit fuzzy. However, most of the laws are concerned with RV construction and how it is being towed. It means it will be an arduous task to find information when it comes to passengers riding in the back of the trailer. Each US state has its own laws on the type of RVs that can transport the passengers.

Moreover, since US states have different rules for travel trailers regarding their weight, length, height, width, hitch type, lighting mirror, etc., it is essential to thoroughly research the requirements to make sure you are following the rules.

Moreover, since US states have different rules for travel trailers regarding their weight, length, height, width, hitch type, lighting mirror, etc., it is essential to thoroughly research the requirements to make sure you are following the rules.

It is legal to Sell Coffee in Cortez, Colorado in an Airstream!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0450.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	404455   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0437.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	387.7 KB
ID:	404456  

Old 09-20-2021, 08:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
OK... I feel much better, now. Are States that allow people in a moving trailer... have safer drivers?

What about Canada? Can you travel with Geese?

The previous photo was in Colorado. No passengers were seen.

Cortez, Colorado... get a coffee, park in lot... bring a picket fence... Pop your own Pop Corn and sit back and aaaaah
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0429.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	404457  
Old 09-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
State laws (or lack thereof) don't always relate to common sense.

In Indiana, it's illegal to back into a parking space. In Maryland, it's illegal to use profanity while driving in the vicinity of another person who might hear you swearing. In Oklahoma, it's illegal to make glue out of dead skunks. In Oregon, it's illegal to throw poop out of a moving vehicle. In Wisconsin, it's illegal to sell cookies baked at home.

Sometimes, common sense supersedes the law. It doesn't make sense to ride in a travel trailer, even if it's legal to do so.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 09-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #9
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
if you had an accident. you would lose all claims if someone was inside.
'
my uncle was an adjuster. he was told my the big boss to find any reason to not pay out a claim.
people inside a trailer while driving is and easy claims to reject
Insurance companies are always looking for ways to get out of paying, or making someone else pay. I guess that's what lawyers are for. If you have insurance and you have an accident I don't see how they could legally deny your claim unless it was spelled out in the policy beforehand and the only valid reason I have seen for denial is deliberate or criminal acts. People do stupid things and make stupid mistakes all the time, that's what insurance is for.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermans View Post
Someone hand me a Drink, double, and a large popcorn! This will be a great one [emoji2357]
I have mine out already but having salsa instead of popcorn
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
If its legal to ride inside an RV there will be seatbelts. I LOVE riding in my Airstream....in fact just got it out of the shop and they told me I need to ride in it more often!!
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:16 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Hop in a nice big Class A. Chug down the typical unpaved interstate . Try to do something basic ( putting away dishes .... ). I doubt you will try that a second time. A trailer in motion is even worse. Popcorn? salsa?.... only if you think it improves the look of the flooring

The interesting feature of the "ride back there" debate is seatbelts. My *guess* is that somehow someway the law wiggles around and forces you to put them in that trailer you are riding in. Not a lawyer, so it's only a suspicion.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Silver Bean- Cortez, Colorado- Main Street location

Audree was the passenger in a previous photograph. She was NOT wearing a seat belt...

Nancy was checking things out to decorate our Airstream when parked Off the Grid. Hunters and Boondockers love coffee and doughnuts. I do, as well.

She was not a passenger. We checked the other Silver Bean and it was unoccupied. Legal, I suppose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0430.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	404458   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0431.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	404459  

Old 09-20-2021, 09:20 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Salt Lake City , Utah
Sitting in MOVING Airstream... LEGAL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Insurance companies are always looking for ways to get out of paying, or making someone else pay. I guess that's what lawyers are for. If you have insurance and you have an accident I don't see how they could legally deny your claim unless it was spelled out in the policy beforehand and the only valid reason I have seen for denial is deliberate or criminal acts. People do stupid things and make stupid mistakes all the time, that's what insurance is for.

Oh im dead certain that insurances will twist it any ways they can. And end up saying a travel trailers aren’t meant to be used for passenger transport in the first place so they’ll get out of a claim easy even if it wasn’t your fault and or technically legal to ride in a trailer according to state laws. Insurances employ armadas of attorneys to reduce their payouts anywhere they can not for no reason.
ZeGermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
I have ridden in my trailer on a back road to see how stuff moves about.. tried a go pro but you are not able to get the actual movement.. (don't have gimbal mount)

with my tires are at a normal 65 PSI and in mostly loaded state its not that bad sans the extreme dip and such in the road but that was the exception.. i was alerted by walkie talkie about such condition so i could be ready..

if you wonder why your drawers or cabinets door fly open take a ride in the back and do tire adjustments.. if you are inflated at MAX psi do that.. then reduce to the tire manf suggest pressure and use same stretch of road .. the difference can be great.. or it was when I did the test. ( you can feel the difference in your feet something a camera can not relay. )
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:40 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
When I was young, a family whose sons were in my Boy Scout troop took a vacation in their Ford pickup with cabover slide-in camper. Back in those days it was legal to ride in the camper (in our state). There was a bad accident involving several vehicles. Their truck rolled completely over. Their oldest son was in the camper area over the truck cab. He was instantly crushed and killed. Their other two sons in the lower part of the camper were each badly crippled and mentally incapacitated for life.

Can't imagine what would happen to someone inside an Airstream if it rolled, fishtailed, or was t-boned by another vehicle. Even something just as simple as a passenger standing when the towing vehicle driver hits the brakes to stop at a sudden yellow traffic light or avoid something.

In modern times, my family sometimes transports our horses to different shows in a well-designed horse trailer. But my pulling a trailer with horses inside requires much more planning than pulling our Airstream. Acceleration, braking, and cornering have to be done with much more care. And you've got to be willing to intentionally-sacrifice (partially or more-fully) your towing vehicle in an emergency. Completely different strategy in play...and horses are far less important than people!

Don't do it. Better safe than sorry!
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:41 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis c View Post
yeah, no seatbelts!
long long trailer!
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:46 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
The Long, Long Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Are there actual LAWs forbidding anyone to be within a Travel Trailer while traveling? Two or more people, exempt? Pets? A Rock Band with drummer? Paved roads? Unpaved roads in the National Forest, exempt?

How would anyone know if someone was in the trailer when moving?

Maybe... there is a reason if this is true to keep witnesses... figuring out why a trailer can take itself apart, without tools when being towed. The 'squeaking and squawking' probably quits... while moving. Our Airstream 'Squeaks and Squawks' when stationary.

Would you need 'Trailer Seat Belts' if sitting at the table?l Can you take a nap on the Bed?

Can you Bake a Cake while moving... or stationary but attached in a Parking Lot?

"Yes, Some US states like Minnesota, Kansas, Maryland, Iowa, Indiana, Arizona, Missouri, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, and Nebraska allows you to ride in the back of your travel trailer legally. But there are some US states that require you to install safety glass in the trailer to transport the passengers legally." Bing Search

Why are the listed States not arranged A to Z? But random?

Oh... maybe this is why our trailers have or do not have Safety Glass? Do Airstreams? Tempered... but 'safety glass'?
I think Lucy and Ricky aptly addressed this issue in The Long Long Trailer.

The movie is required watching for all camping couples.
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:48 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I don't understand why someone would want to ride in a trailer while towing. .
Well.... I wanted to confirm or disprove that tire pressure greatly effects the ride in a moving AS.
I won't say 'cuz I don't want to deflate a lot of folks balloons.
I still run at 74 minimum.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I actually just lowered my tire pressure to 70 PSI for our upcoming trip to see how it impacts ride quality. I'll report back when we get back!

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715