Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #21
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful2 View Post
Order 2 large and small one for cable,they keep it quick and easy. Order on line Home Depot Good luck
Grateful2, what is this called? I can't tell what it is and the pic won't resize to something legible. Thanks, Rich
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
connections

our AS is 34'. We carry two 25' dedicated water hoses and a separate one for rinsing the holding tank and/or hoses. We carry two 10' sections and one expandable 5' section of sewer hose. And an extra 25' of 30 amp power cord. normally one of each is enough but if you are at a park where hookups are in between RV spaces and have to back way up to fit your TV you might need the extensions.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I think the PO had come up with some good solutions on his own.
We just reassured him that he had made good choices.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #24
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I think the PO had come up with some good solutions on his own.
We just reassured him that he had made good choices.
m.honyThat's somewhat true (that I had some ideas), however, this wasn't necessarily about reassurance as much as it turned out to be adding value with ideas that I hadn't considered. There are so many excellent ideas here, that we'll need to incorporate the majority of them into our solution. Also, you said a 100" section of RG6 coax ... did you mean 100'? (ref. trees/shade) ...

Thanks,
Rich
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Nice thread. 😃 Book mark for future reference.
2009 F-150 "Big Red"
Caroyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I used one for a while and don't know quite what people see in them. They work OK until someone flushes a tampon or something, in which case you will need a head-to-toe hazmat suit to avoid getting anything on you when you clean up the mess.
We used ours for last seven years, about 1400 nights camping and it's still working fine. Remember this is just a water-powered system, unlikely to make a mess. I like it because it's clean and simple to use and stow.

It is showing its age as plastic things do, and have thought about one of the macerator pump units. A little faster than our water powered Sewer Solution (no tampons in use here). Any good/bad experience with the electric macerator units?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Any good/bad experience with the electric macerator units?
My Interstate came with a macerator pump, and I wouldn't trade it for anything but another one.

It would be nice if Airstream had thought to wrap it in heat tape because the way they installed it the pump always retains enough water to freeze— no problem for winterizing since you can pump pink stuff through it, but definitely a problem for winter camping when you've got to empty the holding tanks before winterizing back home and the pump is frozen.

But then again, I suppose it's hard to use a Sewer Solution for winter camping, too…
Old 08-18-2016, 03:24 PM   #28
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Not true. As I said, the longer the hose, the larger the diameter should be, to minimize hydraulic losses that will reduce your flow rate. Especially when the campground doesn't have very high water pressure to begin with.

Here's an example.
*If you have a 25' 1/2" diameter hose, with 40psi of water pressure at the spigot, your maximum flow rate will be about 24 gallons per minute— not counting the additional length of plumbing inside the trailer between the inlet and the faucet or shower head that further reduces the flow rate.
* If the hose is increased to 50 feet long and 5/8" in diameter, the maximum flow would be 22 gpm. But if you use 50' of 1/2" hose the flow rate slows to just 12 gpm.
* If you increase the length to 75 feet and the diameter to 3/4", the maximum flow rate is 27 gpm. But if you use 75' of 1/2" hose, the flow rate drops to 9 gpm.
So for every 25 feet of length, the hose diameter should go up by 1/8" to keep nearly the same rate of flow in the hose for a given water pressure. If you carry a 25' 1/2" hose as your main, then a 25' spare hose should be 5/8" diameter, and you can hook up the larger-diameter hose at the spigot and the smaller diameter hose at the trailer to minimize losses in flow rate.
These hoses are for an Airstream, not a fire truck.

The flow rate of the fixtures is specified by uniform codes and is supposed to be a maximum of 2.2 GPM at 60PSI each for the kitchen and shower and 1.5 GPM for the lavatory. Typically in an RV we use one fixture at a time. Let's look at the 2.2 GPM flow rate using the friction loss tables for PEX pipe, which is similar in frictional characteristics to vinyl hose.

https://www.rehau.com/download/86839...oss-tables.pdf

At 2.2 GPM, there's a 4.26 PSI difference in pressure loss between 1/2" and 5/8" pipe per 100 feet length. The loss is linear with pipe length so for 75 feet we would be looking at a difference of around 3.2 PSI. That's an insignificant difference at 60 PSI. At less than 60 PSI, the maximum flow at each fixture will be lower, and so the difference will be less.

For the occasional situation where someone is washing dishes and the shower is going, we might have 4.4 GPM. That works out to an 11 PSI difference at 75 feet and 60 PSI, not a big deal. I'd rather save the space in my shore connections locker.

My practical experience bears out these realities.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:36 PM   #29
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffin-rich View Post
Along the lines of Doug's post about the Sewer Solution, I saw the Thetford SANI-CON displayed in CampingWorld and couldn't help but wonder if folks were using it and whether or not it was worth the cost over a standard slinky setup.
The main problems have to do with weight, size, and power requirements for the pump. These systems can work well if permanently installed, as they are on many motorhomes. I sketched out a couple of setups on paper and decided it was a bad idea.

A fact to consider is that macerator pumps of any kind are prone to clogging and failure with regular use, and are, how shall we say, somewhat unpleasant to clean and service.

Quote:
Also, regarding black hose/slinky cleaning, do you guys soak/bleach your hoses after use?
No. I typically rinse them a little.

One of the things that I've concluded from being on this and other RV-related forums is that people's individual tolerance for dealing with sewage systems varies widely. I wash my hands with soap and water when I'm done fiddling with the hose and call it good enough.

Quote:
I saw that caps are available for garden/drinking hoses ... seems like a good idea to keep foreign matter out of the hoses once they're dry (assuming it wouldn't be good to cap/seal wet hoses).
I just connect the hose to itself after draining it. It keeps water in the hose so it doesn't spill onto the floor of my shore connections locker, or onto the electrical stuff.

Quote:
Jammer, I'll be sure to add a HAZMAT suit and Scott SCBA to my list too. :-)
There are some hot deals on ebay right now on the old ones with aluminum tanks. If you keep hydroing them they're good indefinitely unlike the new carbon fiber ones.

I still have my "sewer solution" and it's fine for when I need it, which is when I'm dumping tanks uphill into the drain in my garage. For general use I think it's a poor choice. Obviously you wouldn't want to use it at a dump station because it's so slow and it would inconvenience not only yourself but the people in line behind you. For full hookups it will work OK but you have the added water connection and the possibility of clogs.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Silly question - preferred lengths for campground hookups (hoses, cable, etc.)

To the OP about the 100" cable...

Yes. That would have been a typo.
I think you got this tiger by the tail.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
I carry 2 x 10ft sewer hoses. I only need to use (and clean) one of them 95% of the time. A 15+5 combo would meet most total length needs but I bet you will be cleaning out the 15ft one more often than the 5ft.

The 25ft fresh water hose length is great, but I would carry 2 of them. You can join them together if needed (rare) and you'll have an extra if the main one fails, or after a year of use.

You will probably want to get a 25ft grey-colored water hose as well - for flushing your black tank.

I also recommend a brass water line connector (Y-splitter with shutoff valves) so you can divide a single faucet feed into two lines, one for the fresh water hose and one for the black tank flush hose.

One 30ft coax should work for you. I carry two 15ft ones and use a coax connector if I occassionally need up to 30 ft.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
- 15' RhinoFlex Kit plus a 5' extension for 20' total length
Been using 15' one since May, haven't had any issues or been in a CG where it wouldn't reach, but came awfully close. 5' extension probably not a bad idea.

- 25' Camco 22833 Premium Drinking Water Hose (5/8"ID x 25') - Lead Free
(options are 10, 25, 35, 50)
I bought a 35'. I HATEIT! It's so thick and inflexible in the morning when it's cold that it's nearly impossible to coil back up when hitting the road. I cut it in two, one 15' and one 20' to make it easier to manage. Only used the 15' since cutting it.
I keep looking for one of the super flexible hoses that gets great reviews, zerogravity seems close, but I'll wait. A white 1/2" will be more flexible.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:27 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
We all do things different, I never hook up to "city water", never hook up to sewer. I really like 1/2 inch 25 ft water hoses, 2 of them. They coil so much easier. I like 10 ft. sewer hose with elbow to go in whole.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:39 AM   #34
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
I have. 10ft and 20ft slinky, for 30 ft total, and a time or two, barely enough, most of the time it's overkill. Two 25 ft water hoses, never a problem yet on sites with water, but not enough to fill the fresh tank from a community spigot in electric only campgrounds. 30ft 30 amp cord, and a 30ft 30 amp extension, but with the choice of front or rear connection spots on our 30 ft rig, I have never need the extension.... Yet.
Coax, I have a 20ft hunk, and a second 20 ft when someone let it behind at Americamps in Richmond, VA. The coax was the last item on board, and has been used maybe four times now. TV is not a priority for us, too busy seeing the local area first hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:18 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Does Airstream supply hoses, cords, etc with new Airstreams? I know that some SOBs do. We have a new Camping World in my area. They provide to all NEW trailer RV buyers a kit that includes all necessary hoses and cords. Also in the kit is a bucket, sponge, soap, wax, black tank treatment and some other goodies. This all comes in a large Good Sam/Camping World tote. Of course not everything that will be needed but enough to get started with the basics.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:36 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The power cord comes with the trailer.
The water hose and sewer hose are usually in an "RV starter kit" supplied by the dealer with the purchase of a trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-19-2016, 07:39 AM   #37

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I carry a 20' sewer hose and found that in my experience it does the job. One of the things I learned early on was to always buy the heavy duty hose rather than the low cost ones. In my early days of trailering I remember always getting pin hole punctures from rocks and other ground debris. I now carry a sewer hose support. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-support/69170
This will prolong the life of your hose and takes care of those sites where you find that the sewer pipe sticks up out of the ground or where you find an uphill slope. It also protects the hose from those sharp objects on the ground. I'm still using the same hose I bought for the trailer back in 2004 due to its HD construction and the use of the support.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:05 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I think what you carry depends on the type of camping you do. If you go to events with lots of rigs and limited connects, long water hoses are a must.

I mostly camp in state parks and commercial campgrounds.

Here is what I carry:

Sewer
10' & 15' Rhino flex. The 15' fits in the storage tube. I cut the ears off and removed one end. The 10' and other sewer stuff (rest of kit) lives in the rear slide out drawer.
1 Plastic sewer hose support. I screw on the missing connection when the 15' is needed. Rarely have I used both together.

Water
10' & 15' Camco 5/8" blue drinking water hoses. See Camco 22853. They are reinforced. Had a hose blow up one time.
1 Camco 40064 Water pressure regulator with gauge
1 Camco 22463 90 degree water faucet. I replaced the plastic part with a brass part from a big box store when the plastic failed.
1 Camco 40003 Fresh Water Tank filler for filling the fresh water tank
1 Camco 22484 Water bandit that I have yet to use.
1 25' flex hose for black water flush and general use.
I used a Camco 22505 90 degree elbow that I attached to the city water input on the AS. I fabricated using store bought 5/8" clear reinforced fresh water tubing (about 40") to connect to the 90 degree fitting on the city water input so when setting up I can run the clear hosing out the hole in the bottom of the water compartment for faster hook up and I can close the compartment door. Your set up may be different.
All hoses have quick connects for faster set up take down. After trying several brands I settled on Dramn which I find to be very reliable and don't leak.

Other

I carry one set of Anderson 3604 levelers and love them. Much easier than building ramps.
Rounding out my list is the tried and true Linx levelers. Currently I carry two sets, but will probably drop that to one set as more than one set is rarely used. Handy for placing under stabilizers.

Hope this helps
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:14 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
All good suggestions . I tend to go with overkill on lengths. I carry 30' of sewer hose. 75' of h2o hose and 50 ' of power extension. When we went to the north rim of the grand canyon we stayed at Jacobs lake . to get level in the site we were a 45' from the power pedestal that was at the front of the site. Same thing happened in Estes pk co.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #40
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Carry shorter ones for hose and sewer hose, you can always buy a longer one at your campsite. This question you are asking has many answers based on experienced. As others have said, you will develop your own.

Because it works on one, doesn't mean it will work for you.

I think that is part of the adventure, don't you think?
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote