Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 07:14 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Talking

. . . the whole nekkid truth . . .

Old 03-22-2021, 08:13 AM   #22
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Sell now while demand is high.

Not to be blunt, parks, forests, and the outdoors in general are not amusement parks- nor should they be. Change your venue to one that is compatible to your orientation fast while camper prices are high. Otherwise, adjust your expectations or prepare to be miserable.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Old 03-22-2021, 08:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Well said, General!

Old 03-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
The answer to your question is yes, the east is much greener than the west and dust generally isn't a problem until late summer. Even then it's minor compared to the constant blowing dust in most western states. Enjoy your trip.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:22 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I live in the east. Dust is not a usual problem. The dust in the southwest in the spring really got to us. Part of the reason for changing the southwest caravan to the fall was the wind and dust in the spring. All I can suggest is to close up and run the AC and keep heading east as fast as you can. Maine is nice in the summer. We are in Florida now. The soil is sandy. A campsite with a concrete patio pad is a very nice thing to have.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:34 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Regarding pollen, Georgia is into the first week of what is, in my opinion, the worst month of the year. We are running several air filters in the house. As for keeping the RV clean, it's a challenge being photographers who are used to frequent stops and getting in and out quite often. At the end of the day, the floors have a lot of sand on them. I usually take some wet paper towels and wipe down the floors every evening. The next afternoon, when I am awake, I run the Dyson V8. Forget the little hundred dollar vacuums; they don't work. As for campgrounds, I avoid them unless absolutely necessary.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #27
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
Makita 18v blower
works great and can stokes fire in seconds.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	29
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	391357  
Old 03-22-2021, 11:22 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Midland , Ontario
Dust

What part of camping didn't you understand ?
Old 03-22-2021, 11:48 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Fort Wayne , Indiana
CGear Sand Free Mats

I have heard good things about CGear sand free mats and have recently purchased one. I did it as an upgrade to another mat that I used to use, so I live in hope that it will do what is advertised. I have not yet had a chance to use it, however.
You might find them helpful as well.
As for being OCD, if you have dogs you can’t be a complete neat freak. So there is hope!
Eric
Old 03-22-2021, 01:51 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Wichita , Kansas
We reside in Wichita Ks and just returned from Terlingua aka Big Bend and Fort Davis as well. My wife and I both agreed that we are not cut out for dessert camping for the very same reason. IMO once you depart the dessert of West Texas headed east you will be rewarded with greener grounds.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:29 PM   #31
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
How do you cope? You do not let sand/dust/dirt into the coach. Keep windows closed. Wipe feet and change shoes before entering. Walk dogs on a leash and don't let them play in the mud/sand. Stay on top of any dirt/sand issues as the happen. Pick your campsite with dirt/sand/dust exclusion as an objective.

We travel with two poodles and do not have excessive dirt/dust/sand problems .... with one exception. Pismo Village has dirty sand all over the drives and sites near the beach access. Never going there again. Pat
Old 03-22-2021, 04:47 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Chula Vista , California
As a fellow SoCal resident I would go North. Still part of the 'Wild West'.
Made a trip last summer to Yellowstone via eastern Oregon and then coastal Oregon last fall.
Eastern Oregon is just a beautiful as the coast but in a different way. Not so much green but spectacular views non the less.

You can just drive up the 101. Once past San Francisco it's the Redwoods, then coastal Oregon where wild blue and black berries grow behind your camper. On to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington, British Columbia when the border opens again. The 'West' isn't all sand and dust.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:24 PM   #33
dropped rivet in grass

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Tarzan , Texas
If anybody is driving through West Texas today, I'm sure they found it a challenge with the wildly variable weather. Rain this morning, blowing dust this afternoon with visibility approaching zero at times.

I sometimes question my sanity in continuing to live here.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:30 PM   #34
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I have no words of wisdom other than to stay in Malibu...

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

Old 03-22-2021, 07:50 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
We're new to traveling in our 2021 Globetrotter, and have just reached Fort Davis, TX coming from California. We are trying to head to Florida and reached a point where we cannot do sandy and dusty campgrounds anymore. We boondocked, stayed in beautiful State parks and RV resorts.

Does it get better further East, more grass? How do you keep the dust out? We also have a dog and haven't found the right way of letting him enjoy the outdoors without having to give him a bath every night.

We are quite OCD, so I would love to hear your advice on how to camp in the 'wild' West.

Thanks
I am increasingly surprised by the dust issues that Airstream products are alleged to have - that if true 'Duststream' would seem more apt a term.

Surely a country that can send people to the moon and back can make a box on wheels dust-free?

Collyn
Old 03-22-2021, 07:57 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Welcome to Airstream life.

Here are some tips:
Dust

The ultimate goal is to not have it in your bed.

Factors
In the air
paved vs gravel/dirt roads. Paved campground are less dusty. Gravel or dirt roads are just dusty, especially if the weather is dry. If the campground is not paved keep your windows closed. Because vehicles will cause it to be airborne and then there's no escaping it.

look down
If your campsite pad is concrete, blacktop, that is the best for low dust. If it is chat (tamped down find gravel) you will have a little dust. If it grassy, or just the forest floor or sandy grass you should put down a CG sand free multi mat outside your door. Put the airstream door mat on top of it to wipe your feet.

https://www.cgear-sandfree.com

Footwear-hiking boots and athletic shoes have tread that holds rocks. Take them off right inside the door and slip on something like vans, birkenstocks, crocs, flip flops, or topsiders. Wear these inside and right around camp. If you have any shoes like tevas or keens or chaucos that you wear at the beach or stream, these stay outside.

INSIDE-have a couple of washable throw rugs you can shake out each day, and wash as needed. Some ideas are thinner rubber backed rugs from costco or target, PET indoor/outdoor fancy from Annie Selk, Chilewhich, or ruggables. There are many choices, but the idea is to keep the dust on the rug and then shake it off.

I also have a corn whisk broom and then a small dustpan and broom to sweep up. Others like Dysons. Personal preference.

For dog control, we have some great ideas as we just got back from a week long trip with our 3 month old Frankie. The RuffWear Knot a Hitch was great. Frankie could have a safe space and was on a leash and I knew he was not in the roadway. I put one end on the cleat in my truck bed and the other on the pic pic table. Sets up in about 30 seconds. See picture below.
https://ruffwear.com/collections/cam...s/knot-a-hitch

We also found this great travel kennel if you need one. It is narrower than typical so it fits through the airstream door without having to break it down. It fits in the backseat of the truck. https://www.chewy.com/midwest-soluti...ontent=MidWest
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3691.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	391389  

Piggy Bank
Old 03-22-2021, 09:51 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
CMHM, I used to be kind of like you. Then I started boon docking in the desert.

As you know there are openings between the inside and the outside of an Airstream and the wind does blow in the desert.

Upshot. I got used to the dust but still sweep it out a few times a day.

Best to you and I hope you are enjoying your trip.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:38 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Thanks for all your constructive comments, and thanks to those who lecture what camping should be.

I am near Fort Davis, in a 40mph+ dust storm since three days so mind you this is becoming an issue. We decided to boondock as there is no benefit in staying in campgrounds around here as non of them come with concrete platforms.

We have a great Dyson, the mat ideas are super helpful. I love the air purifier idea, but has anyone found one that operates on 12v? They all seem to be very large and require the inverter.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:28 PM   #39
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
I can't imaging traveling with dogs in our Airstream. My hats off to those of you who do it though. Our Airstream gets dirty enough without one.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:30 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Try it with 4 doggies, two adults and a 22’ Airstream. The dogs love their big silver doghouse.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Closed Thread