Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Sulphur Springs , Texas
Shore Side Campsites (NJ, East Coast)

Does anyone know if any shore side camping spots exist in NJ? Or on the East Coast in general. I've searched and searched. I've found very few RV parks in Jersey compared to other states.

We've never stayed on the beach.

We are full-time and currenty at Pine Cone RV Resort (which we LOVE) and on our way to Texas for the winter we plan on journeying down the coast. "Taking the long way around."

Suggestions super appreciated.
Shehanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Myrtle Beach SC has several camps right on the ocean. Getting a front row spot might take some scheduling, count on it. We've stayed at Ocean Lakes in MB SC, its definitely for the ocean crowd, good times. Can't offer any others, haven't been there.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
North Carolina's Outerbanks, all kinds of facilities and price points.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Edisto Beach State Park, just south of Charleston, SC, their Beach Campground. One of our favorite places in the country.

If you are headed to Texas in winter, you can camp right on the beach at Padre Island National Seashore. Now THAT is a beach camping experience!

Maggie
Old 08-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Hunting Island, a South Carolina state park, is shoreside. It's popular, so you should probably check ahead. It's near Beaufort.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Added question about SC and GA beaches - I've never been to them.

I hear their beaches can be a much more firm hard sand that is more drivable and less "sandy" (as opposed to say white fluffy stuff gulf coast).

We want to perhaps look into camping around Hilton head or tybee island in spring

Any beach spots in those areas let me know - probably to just stay 1-2 days ON the beach

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Check out both the Maryland and National state parks at Assateaque in Maryland. You cannot see the Ocean from your AS because of the protective dunes. On the National side you can get a site from which you can see the bay. I like Spring and Fall the best. Also there are two other sites that are not on the ocean but they are on the water. One is Frontier town and the other name eludes me. Frontier Town is treed the other not so much.

Also check out VA and DE. They both have campsites on the water
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
We have a house in MB SC and yes the sand is definitely packed more than the gulf coast area but as far as I know there is nowhere you can actually drive on the beach except Daytona Fla. The sand would hold but the ordinances of most beach towns don't allow it.Lifeguards only get to drive on the beach. There are several beach frt. camp grounds around here with ocean lakes probably the best known.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
OBX you can go driving on a 13 mile stretch of beach - its great fun - must have a 4WD -

Just a side note

Old 08-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
[QUOTE=PharmGeek;1335830]OBX you can go driving on a 13 mile stretch of beach - its great fun - must have a 4WD -
That is all the way up north past duck, and corona? I had forgotten about that. You have to go all the way up there to see the wild horses don't you? Still no camping ON THE BEACH though. I think you can get on the beach down where the sound comes in just about Hatteras too.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #11
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
As far as I know your question about beach side camping in NJ is a big NO. I've never seen one or heard of any. Beachfront real estate is just toooooo valuable. If anyone has any information on someplace maybe they'll pipe in and let us all know. But sounds like a few places down south would be worth looking into.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yeah no camping on the strip in OBX to my knowledge - you could NOT pull an AS in that stuff :O

Old 08-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
The very eastern end of Long Island has two incredible spots. It's hell to get out here but once you finally make it it's paradise. I would never suggest you try during summer but September and October are beautiful, the water is warm, the bass are running and the campsites are plentiful. For starters there is Hither Hills State Park directly on the ocean just west of Montauk. No pets allowed though.
For a real beach experience check out Theodore Roosevelt County Park just a few miles shy of the Montauk Lighthouse. I think they are re-naming it to Montauk County Pzrk this year but if you just google Suffolk County Parks you'll find it. Drop your tires to about 12 PSI and pull right out onto the beach and one of the most beautiful beach sunsets you'll ever see. Bring your generators and plenty of water cuz there are zero amenities. Boondock paradise. First come, first served at all times, no reservations....ever.
Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
We will be going to stay at the Jersey Shore Haven Airstream CG in Cape May Courthouse in a couple of weeks. We don't know if it is shoreline, but we hear that there are beaches close by. Will check it out and get back to you. Maybe someone else has been there?
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Lou - my inlaws live in SW New Jersey and we will very likely hit up there one day....let me know how your site goes...would be interested in finding best spots on jersey shore.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
There is an RV campground in Destin, Florida that has a number of RV sites that are directly on the Gulf of Mexico. It is called Camping on the Gulf.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Beautiful state park campground with hookups at the Indian River Inlet on the Delaware Shore. North of Bethany Beach and south of Dewey Beach. Walk across the street to the beach and the Atlantic Ocean.

Delaware Seashore State Park

http://destateparks.com/downloads/ma...e-seashore.pdf

Res nolunt diu male administrari.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
Yep, stayed at Indian River in May. Love how the new bridge lights up at night too.
Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Browns Mills , New Jersey
I have "heard" there is camping on or very near the beach in New Jersey in Sea Girt, but only with a military connection...not positive, but its worth a check....
Sandi & Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:08 AM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi & Bob View Post
I have "heard" there is camping on or very near the beach in New Jersey in Sea Girt, but only with a military connection...not positive, but its worth a check....
You heard correctly. Sea Girt is a "FamCamp" at the New Jersey National Guard Training Center. Nine sites, electric only. Open to active, retired, or disability-discharged military with Department of Defense ID.