Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2008, 11:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Believe it or not... Pierces isn't the best in VA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
In the USA:
Keys Fisheries (Marathon,Fl) Cheap, waterfront, simple good
seafood
Pierces BBQ (Williamsburg, Va) opens at 10:00a.m. and you
still wait in line
Nightengale Supper Club (Sturgeon Bay, Wi) Prime Rib they
sell 40,000 pounds a year of it
53FlyingCloud and I found a place in Smithfield called "Smokin' Joes" - it's a true dive but OMG the barbecue is wonderful. It's on the main drag through town, about a mile off the bypass. You have to look for it or stick your nose out the door and smell. Not that Pierces isn't good, but this place has a slight edge.

Paula
Old 03-04-2008, 03:54 AM   #22
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The best food ever cannot be bought, it is made by my Mother. My Mom is without a doubt the worlds best cook. This weekend she made my favorite dish of all time... Rolladine(onion, pickle, and some secret spices rolled up in flank steak then cooked all day in a hunters gravy), Spatzla(a egg noodle that is formed in a press), red cabbage, and garden salad. This is a very traditional German meal, no one can make it as good as my Mom. My German Mom cooks such a good Thanksgiving dinner that Betty Crocker herself came by and begged my Mom to teach her how to cook. Unfortunately for all of you, she does not do short order.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:49 AM   #23
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Whenever you're in downtown Phoenix and want the country's best pizza, you have got to try Pizzaria Bianco. I don't recall who officially voted them the best but it sure p***ed off alot of New Yorka's. I do know why they received that vote though because it is truely the best I have ever had. They only make six kinds and they are all a personal pizza. They grow their own herbs right outside plus bake their own small bread sticks. Their shop is a converted blacksmith shop from the early 1920's that was moved to downtown in the Heritage Square along with other old homes of the same era. The wait is about 45 minutes for the first wave of people because the place only seats about 30 at a time. They open at 5pm but the old doctor's house next door that serves as a pub, Bar Bianco, opens at 4pm. Go on in, get yourself either a local microbrew or a glass of wine and enjoy the quaint atmosphere. You'll need to get in line at the pizza place around 4:20 to 4:30 though or you might not make the first wave. They only take reservations for 6 or more. You won't regret your experience.

Man, now I'm hungry.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:45 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
63air, you're right about Maid Rite - Ben's a Rock Island native, and he has me hooked on the Maid Rites. I could eat my way through the Quad Cities, but my favorite might be the Iowa Machine Shed out in Davenport.

And for those passing through St. Louis - don't forget the Route 66 custard and concrete legend, Ted Drewes'.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:50 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Alumatube said "The Bon Ton cafe in La Grange, TX (near Austin) was great, with WONDERFUL bread. I don't know if they are still open, though--anyone know?"

I think the kids inherited the Bon Ton, moved it off it's great old-time location just off the La Grange, TX square to a much larger new / fancy location out on the side of Hwy 71. I think it eventually flopped - the quality wasn't there.

The Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls, Texas (Hwy 281) is known for their pie and is still a real Texas tradition.

The Blanco Valley Cafe (locally called "The Bowling Club") in Blanco, TX (Hwy 281)is also one of the few non-chain, non-cookie cutter cafe's left in Texas. Located just off the square, with a large parking in the rear.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Oh, lemme think. When we go on vacation, we're always in great need of a good Navajo taco!

Mexican Hat, AZ, trading post restaurant. (Mexican Hat only has a couple of buildings, so it isn't hard to find!) Easy RV parking.

Tsegi Canyon, AZ, Anasazi Inn restaurant. Easy RV parking.

Tuba City, AZ, Tuba City Trading Post. The trading post is up on Main Street (off the main highway), and the restaurant next door has really good Navajo Tacos. Easy RV parking across the street.

Cameron, AZ, Cameron Trading Post. The restaurant is in the back. Parking lot can get congested, but there is ample room for RVs.

Lynn
Old 03-04-2008, 08:01 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Our favorite roadside spots? First, get off the interstates. Driving the byways, plan your route to pass through small burgs around 7-8am, noon, or 5-6 pm. Cruise the main drag and side streets, looking for packed parking spaces. Zero in on the cafe that is nearest to the most cars and you've found great eats. This often works well on the edge of towns too. BUT, off the interstates. Not exactly GPS, but this game almost always works for us. Locals know where to go, so follow and feast! This is just about the only way to taste regional American cooking today, in our opinion. And it's still worth searching for ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Ah, durn, I forgot one place:

Twin Bluffs Cafe, Bluff, UT. Great Navajo Tacos!

Also, my dearest wife reminded me that the Navajo Tacos at Mexican Hat, AZ trading post restaurant are just so-so. It's mainly just a funky place to stop if you're hungry.

Lynn
Old 03-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Witsend,

Is the Cyprus Creek Cafe still open in Wimberley? I remember decent food with an interesting atmosphere.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Hello to Ben and Molly. Molly might not know it but Ben bought an AS from me, a really rough one. Agree about the Machine Shed and Ted Drewes (always a line there).

What we really need here in the QC is meals on wheels, rail that is. I have fond memories of times spent in the Butterworth diner and Big Ben on the RI Lines.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Panama City , Florida
We haven't gotten to hit the road yet cause we are in the process of buying our Argosy but just some spots I know from being a local and from my many trips to Mobile and St. Augustine:

Panama City, FL - Hunt's Oyster Bar (Beck Ave) or Glenn's BBQ (old Business 98 Papermill Curve)
Panama City Beach, FL - Schooners (Thomas Drive)
Mobile, AL - Wintzell's (downtown don't know the name of the street)
St. Augustine, FL - A1A (it is a little pricey but they have their own brewery and it's located on A1A)
ckelly617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Flint, MI area: Halo Burger "Seven days without a Halo Burger makes one weak."
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
Do you worship at the shrine of the Green and the Red?

Then Armijos in Socorro, NM is the absolute best we've found anywhere - especially the green. We'll go 50 miles outta our way for it. South end of town on the main drag.

Save some for me; we're headed that way next week!

jon
Toasty's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
Hello to Ben and Molly. Molly might not know it but Ben bought an AS from me, a really rough one. Agree about the Machine Shed and Ted Drewes (always a line there).

What we really need here in the QC is meals on wheels, rail that is. I have fond memories of times spent in the Butterworth diner and Big Ben on the RI Lines.
That's funny...actually, that was one of the purchases he did tell me about. We thought we would use some parts off it but ended up selling the trailer we thought we needed parts for and then sold the one we bought from you.

The Big Ben is in the family again, and I'll have to make sure Ben reads this thread.

He never lets me stop at Lagomarcino's in Moline for the soup and candy. But he never misses a trip to Harris Pizza...I keep telling him he needs to bring home several frozen pizzas from Harris to keep on hand here in St. Louis.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Where to start? If you're going through Okarche, Ok. Eischen's is the place for fried chicken...a lot of fried chicken. OKC has Leo's BBQ (may the fat man rest in peace). Santa Fe, Bobcat Grill for burgers. Scottsdale, Az. Xtapa Joe's or the Tepee in Phoenix for the Tex-Mex that reminds me of El Chorrito back in younger days in OKC. Sedona, Az. you've got to try and get into the Garlands Lodge for a 5 course dinner. Platoro, Co. Skyline Lodge for some more burger fix...it's the only burger for miles around and it sure tasted good, but that was probably due to the fact that I was starving at high altitude. Cave Creek, Az. Harold's on the Highway. Dang, I'm gettin' hungry!

But the best pulled pork, spare ribs, beef brisket, hot links and hickory smoked meatloaf with sides of Cowbro beans, potato salad, and Texas toast can be had in the backyard of a little dive off Greenway and Tatum in Phx. Bring your guitars and your best singin' voice, 'cause, Nobody Eats 'Til You Sing The Blues.
Ambie '64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Oh, lemme think. When we go on vacation, we're always in great need of a good Navajo taco!

Mexican Hat, AZ, trading post restaurant. (Mexican Hat only has a couple of buildings, so it isn't hard to find!) Easy RV parking.

Lynn
Lynn - We did the 4-Corners/Monument Vally road trip last summer. We stopped in Mexican Hat and I got the Navajo taco at the Trading Post. It was something else! It was huge! I couldn't finish it. It was really good too.

If you're ever down this way, Hacienda Express on Rt550 (aka Hwy 44) in Bernalillo has a decent Navajo taco. They also have a Burrito Fry that is guarenteed to clog any and every artery in your body. It's a huge chicken and bean burrito with a huge order of fries slathered with green chile and cheese.
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #37
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
The Sycamore Drive-In is one of our favorite places and are we ever lucky because it is just 2 miles from our house! Well worth a stop from anywhere; as featured in Roadfood.com and the Food Network-

Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Another favorite is Bob's Barbecue, Creedmoor, NC. We haven't been there since we left the East Coast but it was the best Carolina pork barbecue that I've ever had!
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
Lynn - We did the 4-Corners/Monument Vally road trip last summer. We stopped in Mexican Hat and I got the Navajo taco at the Trading Post. It was something else! It was huge! I couldn't finish it. It was really good too.

If you're ever down this way, Hacienda Express on Rt550 (aka Hwy 44) in Bernalillo has a decent Navajo taco. They also have a Burrito Fry that is guarenteed to clog any and every artery in your body. It's a huge chicken and bean burrito with a huge order of fries slathered with green chile and cheese.
Oh, every time we're down that direction, we wind up staying at my relatives' place down in Los Lunas. Alas, they seem to have somewhat different taste than we do: Every time we go to a restaurant with them, it's ok stuff, but hardly anything to get excited about. Some day we need to go to Albuquerque and not tell them that we're around.

Hey, though, if you're up in Taos country, the locals always hit either Michael's Kitchen (good breakfasts!) or Guadalajara Grill (the one on the north side).

Lynn

Lynn
Old 03-10-2008, 03:44 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Thumbs up Mad Greek!

If you are headed into Death Valley from the south (west of Las Vegas, NV), you can find a huge menu to choose from at the Mad Greek Cafe, a large blue building at the intersection of Hwy 127 (the route leading into DV) and Baker Blvd. The prices are very reasonable, fast service, and food choices from Mexico, Asia, the Middle East, etc. A favorite with truckers, too.

-Jerry

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote