RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Sewer Solution!!!!

Howdy!

After 7 weeks on the road and quite a few tank dumps I am 100% sold on the SS! Basically self cleaning and even after rolled up in a sealed bin has no foul odors associated with it. In fact looks factory clean and new! I can not even imagine wrestling with a typical slinky type hose!

BUT!!!

After visiting 4 RV parks and observing 100's of trailers I have yet to see one other RV using the SS! Most have elaborate support systems for the hose to keep a slope to drain, another hassle....

Maybe the SS is a bit more labor intensive. I fill and flush black tank EVERY dump so it takes me ~15 minutes.

So literally less than 1% of observed RV's are implementing the SS.

I'm shocked that such a great device has so few users....

W
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I was slow to convert to S2, now I have one in each rig. We carry a stinky slinky for backup, but I suspect it has dry rotted by now.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
For the uninitiated ... what is Sewer Solution?
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
For the uninitiated ... what is Sewer Solution?
Here's a video!

Google will reveal more.

One concern I had when I first got it was the fact my Sport 22FB sits rather low and the stiff hose had difficulty making the tight turn from down to towards sewer. After using I find this a benefit as by sort of slinging it to the proper side it puts tension on the connection and holds it firm.

Again the best part it a very clean hose at the end of operations that is much cleaner to deal with than a slinky.

Valterra customer service is great too! When I asked about the connection and wondering if loose they sent me another head unit with no questions asked.

W
Old 01-26-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Sewer Solution is a type of macerator that uses water pressure to drive the flow of waste through a small diameter hose instead of the standard 3" sewer hose. Its advantage compared to motor-driven macerators is lower cost and no need for electricity.

But compared to the way most of us dump, it's slower and wastes a lot of water. As I recall, for every gallon of sewage in your tank, Sewer Solution uses about two gallons of fresh water. Not only does that waste water at a time when most of the southwest is in a state of drought, but it triples the amount you put into the sewer dump: dumping a 30-gallon tank with Sewer Solution puts 90 gallons into the dump. If everyone used this device, dump stations would soon be overloaded (and overflowing).

Refilling and flushing the black tank after dumping also wastes water. If you use the Sewer Solution and then fill and re-dump your black tank, you've quadrupled the amount of liquids you put down that hole. A better solution for everyday use is a Hydroflush, which back-flushes your tank with a powerful stream of water. You can get a tank pretty clean with a few gallons this way.

You're in Quartzsite. Water is a precious resource that's in short supply. 'Nuff said.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:14 PM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
[QUOTE=WhereStream;2203442]For the uninitiated ... what is Sewer Solution?
A slow way to dump at most campsites...😂
But some like it that way.👍

We have never had a dumping concern so we haven't improved what has been working well.
But while on the road we do prefer the "dump & run" method... if needed.
The SS needs a running water supply more adaptable to dumping at home into a sewer clean-out. It does take awhile longer.

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:25 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
Sewer Solution is a type of macerator that uses water pressure to drive the flow of waste through a small diameter hose instead of the standard 3" sewer hose. Its advantage compared to motor-driven macerators is lower cost and no need for electricity.

But compared to the way most of us dump, it's slower and wastes a lot of water. As I recall, for every gallon of sewage in your tank, Sewer Solution uses about two gallons of fresh water. Not only does that waste water at a time when most of the southwest is in a state of drought, but it triples the amount you put into the sewer dump: dumping a 30-gallon tank with Sewer Solution puts 90 gallons into the dump. If everyone used this device, dump stations would soon be overloaded (and overflowing).

Refilling and flushing the black tank after dumping also wastes water. If you use the Sewer Solution and then fill and re-dump your black tank, you've quadrupled the amount of liquids you put down that hole. A better solution for everyday use is a Hydroflush, which back-flushes your tank with a powerful stream of water. You can get a tank pretty clean with a few gallons this way.

You're in Quartzsite. Water is a precious resource that's in short supply. 'Nuff said.

Two gallons of fresh water for every gallon of waste/effluent? Not sure how everyone else utilizes the S2 but we don't even come close to that volume. We only use the jetting feature when solids block the drain flow, which I would estimate to be a no more than a gallon or two for a typical black tank dump. Otherwise we depend on gravity. The same applies to the claim of excess water consumption for tank rinsing. We back flush just enough to clear residual material from the valve blade area, then button things up and move on.

The approach others take may differ, but my experience is that while tank dumping is slower using the S2, water use is similar or less than that of a stinky slinky. The S2 packs away cleaner and in a smaller footprint in our application. Of course YMMV.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 19' Flying Cloud
ADA County , Idaho
Mine was great.........right up until it cracked after using it only a few times. I wasn't impressed.
sncnidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:22 PM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have been using the Sewer Solution for twelve years. We are approaching 2,000 nights of Airstream camping. Several years ago we purchased a back-up Sewer Solution Unit and have not used it yet.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
I have been dumping on my own since I was a toddler, other than a few TP changes all has gone very well. 🤗

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
Old 01-26-2019, 06:29 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
sewer solution for home use

I have one unit and bought an addition hose section to reach the toilet in my garage . I bought it for around the house and not for the road. So when we get home there is no need to be looking for a sani-dump. Last year on an extensive trip we where able to do just that.It dose take a bit longer but that is outweighed by the convenience.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:00 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprika View Post

Way off on water consumption! While in Quartzsite it was taking 15 minute to fill my FW tank of 23 gallons. About 1.5 gallons per minute. Using SS it was taking about 1.5 minutes to dump 75% full tank. Less than 3 gallons. I leave gray water open till last day dump and do use a bit more water.

Now consider the volume of water you’d have to use to rinse an entire 3” pipe... 1.5 gallons won’t do the trick!

W
Old 01-27-2019, 12:03 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sncnidaho View Post
Mine was great.........right up until it cracked after using it only a few times. I wasn't impressed.
Contact Vaterra! They sent me a brand new one when I was merely concerned it was a bit loose

Also factor slinky’s are far from perfect.....

W
Old 01-27-2019, 12:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sewer Solution!!!!

Our primary use of the sewer solution system is to drain gray water more or less continuously. When we do dump our black tank it takes only a few minutes to dump the “well stirred” contents. Occasionally a quick shot of water is needed to hurry things along, then a quick rinse against closed gray and black valves to clean the plumbing and the sewer solution hose, and we’re done. Rarely takes more than 10-15 minutes, and I don’t run water into the sewer solution water jet continuously.

Supposedly we have a new stinky slinky in the storage tube under the trailer, but I’ve never used it, so i can’t verify that it exists.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
I'm sorry your slinky is not perfect...but then, none of us are.
Perfection is the goal?
You will have little time for the fun.

“If your happy with what your using…it’s adequate.
If other people are un-happy….it’s not”
RLC

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
Old 01-27-2019, 08:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Rounder44.....I'm just happy something has worked out for you. You've certainly had long series of problems.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Why go to all the trouble...old way is fine....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:31 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post
Rounder44.....I'm just happy something has worked out for you. You've certainly had long series of problems.
Haha!

I guess I have posted every little thing!

You'd think I wasn't having any fun at all... Time for more positive posts!

Partly the dealers complete abandoning of me after lengthy promises to help me through the learning curve. I'll leave that topic at that....

W
Old 01-28-2019, 10:36 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Why go to all the trouble...old way is fine....
I never tried the old way as it seemed flawed from the git go! A 3" ribbed tube full of poop.......

Since I never used one I have no experience and since 99.9% of observed RV's are using them they must work better than I imagine...

Catalog them with Rocky Mtn. Oysters as something that may be great but I'll never know!

W
Old 01-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
First up, I use both the SS and a slinky.

When at a campground with a sewer hook up I will use the slinky. I don't find it messy or smelly. State parks in OR say you cannot have your sewer line on the ground, they have to be raised. My 2015 has a black tank flush built in so the back wash feature of the SS is redundent. So for regular camping the SS offers no benefit to me.

When I have to dump on the road through a dump station, I don't want to hold people up, the SS is slow to dump full tanks so the slinky gets used here.

If I am dumping at home I use the SS as the run to my sewer connection as is about 30ft away. I have a 1" PVC pipe tied into it so right before backing into the Garage I stop, hook up the SS and do a full flush of the black and grey tanks.

I originally bought the SS as at my old house I have about a 2ft rise to my sewer connection, a slinky would never have worked but the SS uses the water pressure to push the waste up hill, it was a revelation!

I find the SS to be more fiddley to set up and use, I don't find it as clean as other people say so I still end up giving it a good clean like the slinky.