Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2019, 11:54 AM   #21
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Found a good video using the Sewer Solution and wanted to share. This answered a lot of questions for me.

https://youtu.be/zYJCLzGaaB8

Hope this comes through.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I have been using one since our first trip in our Airstream. After members of our club saw mine in use a number of people followed suit. A pretty elegant solution to a messy problem. It also allows me to dump to my home sewer cleanout using pvc pipe, about 40 ft from my driveway.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:35 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I have been using one since our first trip in our Airstream. After members of our club saw mine in use a number of people followed suit. A pretty elegant solution to a messy problem. It also allows me to dump to my home sewer cleanout using pvc pipe, about 40 ft from my driveway.

Larry
Yep!

My RV park neighbor was outlining elaborate plans to extend a sewer line at his sisters where he parks. He's ~30 feet from a clean out. I showed him the SS and he was stunned!

Guys been on the road a few years and never heard or saw one! Probably just saved him a couple $1000 if you'd heard his plan!

W
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Cypress , Texas
I'm fairly new to RV'ing (since 2017) but decided early on I didn't want to deal with bulky hoses. Love our SS and have never had issues with it, even "pumping" uphill in some poorly laid out RV sites. Like you, I've never seen anyone using one, but all that matters is that I use one . Best decision I've made regarding RV'ing (other than buying the Airstream )
kellycox7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:07 AM   #25

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have been asked about my Sewer Solution at campgrounds many times, but I don't often other ones in use.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8842.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	332879  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Whatever floats your feces.

When we did dump at CG's it was usually with folks behind us, so do it quickly and get gone was important.
We now have a 3" port next to the pad and can de-poop at home.
POI...the added slosh home helps keep the crap flowing.
Even before being able to dump at home we tried to travel awhile before the dump.

TETO

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-03-2019, 11:19 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Sewer Solution

I previously used the Sewer Solution, but have found that it is very slow to empty the tank. So, I still carry it but find myself always using the traditional 3" dump hose.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Like others, I have both systems. I use the slinky at dump stations, especially if others are in line. SS is used at FHU sites. I usually dump the night before a departure, so no big deal on a somewhat longer time to empty. I find turning the water jet back into my tank does a better job of getting remnants out of the tank than my tank flush and with less water.
As others said, I only run the water jet if things stop flowing. I expect the hose on a SS setup will last a LOT longer than even the best slinkys. Also note that you can buy the SS as parts and use your own hose. 3/4" contractor hoses are available at most big box stores in lengths up to 100'.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:58 AM   #29
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
SS is slow and needs a water supply which is not a given at a lot of dump points where all or part of the rinse hose is missing or the thread is damaged.

As for "wrestling with a slinky" - you are kidding, right.

Might be OK on a site with hookups where you can suit yourself how long it takes, but if everyone at a regular dump point used a SS you would need to make an appointment at least a week ahead
Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:18 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
SS is slow and needs a water supply which is not a given at a lot of dump points where all or part of the rinse hose is missing or the thread is damaged.

As for "wrestling with a slinky" - you are kidding, right.

Might be OK on a site with hookups where you can suit yourself how long it takes, but if everyone at a regular dump point used a SS you would need to make an appointment at least a week ahead

Water supply: Everyone should have a "water bandit". You can also fashion outdoor shower to accept a hose and use your FW if in a pinch. Uses ~ 3 gallons IME

Wrasslin' a slinky: If you're stuck at a line with impatient RV'ers I doubt you have time to thoroughly flush the slinky either... so yea! Do you really just dump and run your black tank? What if not much or empty gray tank?

Time: Takes <1.5 minutes black tank; ~1 minute gray. Once gray empty a quick rinse and done.

Bottom line there is no perfect solution. My only reasoning for the SS is simpler to store and I'll argue cleaner although that is certainly relative. Mine fits in a 5 gallon sealed bin in the storage compartment separate from all other items. Includes Zero-G hose and clear 5" extension..

With space a concern I had to chose one method and SS seems the best for me.

W
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
I've been looking to dump into my home septic system and was planning on plumbing a traditional dump station near the driveway. As I was researching, I realized I had purchased the Sewer Solution before I took delivery of my Airstream (3.5 years ago!) and had completely forgotten about it. I dusted it off and gave it a shot with some "grey" water that I had poured into the sink. It worked well, so when we returned from a trip on Friday, I did the full shebang.

A couple of notes - yes, it takes longer, but I found that with my very flat grade to the clean-out, I could start the siphon with the hose jet and let it just siphon feed most of the way. Because the black tank solids mostly come out first, that works well on timing. Then, I just turn off the jet and allow everything to (slowly) make its way into the septic clean-out. The grey water also needed the initial siphon boost from the jet, but would then continue without aid.

We have a small 3-bedroom septic system here, so I had some concerns about shocking the system. Instead of doing a full wash and clean-out of the black tank, I emptied it, backwashed it, then filled it partway with some fresh water to sit for a few days. Likewise with the grey water. I'll revisit again later this week when the septic has had a chance to stabilize. I'm not sure if I'm overthinking that portion, but it's really no effort to do it. My Sewer Solution reaches to my Airstream parking spot.

I doubt I'd use this on the road, as I've had good luck with the slinky. But for the convenience of at-home dumping, it's very serviceable.
ohmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #32

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have been using the Sewer Solution for about 14 years now. We originally got it to handle a slight upgrade to our home sewer cleanout. We liked it so much that we have been using it everywhere ever since. During this time we have amassed over 2,100 nights of Airstream camping, so we know it works well. It is a little slower, but the advantages far outweigh this issue. You can dump the black tank last and still thoroughly clean the hose. The Sewer Solution is easier to roll up and store than a slinky. We have been very satisfied with this system.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:31 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
I was a fan for many years(&gt;15). BUT,
I have noticed that the quality of the connector to the AS dump valve is not the same. I have had 3 fail in the exact same place over the last year. The clear piece has cracked and leaked near the aluminum tube. To Valterra's credit, they have sent me a new complete kits for free. Sadly however, I am now back to Camco RhinoFLEX. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210223_102845.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	389285
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:18 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Question?? How do one use SS at a dump station that has a hose that has no connection on it because someone cut it off??
Old 02-23-2021, 05:29 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
Question?? How do one use SS at a dump station that has a hose that has no connection on it because someone cut it off??
Dump clear water down the toilet. 2 five gallon buckets will normally move almost all of the solids. Leave 2 to 3 gallons.of.water plus a squirt of Dawn and a sqiirt of Calgon in the black tank and drain that when you arrive at your destination.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:05 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
There is a device called a "water thief" that attaches to a plain hose and allows you to then connect your hose. I have seen a lot of dump stations with no hose fitting on the water hose, perhaps intended to prevent people from connecting a hose.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:39 PM   #37
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Quote:
They are cut off by people who were upset at having to sit in line for 20 minutes because somebody insisted in using a very slow sewer solution for 20 minutes instead of a 20 second dump using a regular slinky.
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:13 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Ada , Michigan
I should have waited until after I read this thread before I sat down for peanut butter on toast. Silly me.
ronderful is offline   Reply With Quote