Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
x2 on the Viair compressor. Worth the money for the peace of mind. It stays in my truck so I never have an excuse to not have perfectly inflated tires on every single tire I own.

When possible, I tend to gravitate towards Flying Js for the RV fuel pumps. The RV pumps are separate from the rest of the station pumps with easy ingress and egress and there are gas and diesel pumps on either side of the truck, so it doesn’t matter what side your tank is on.

The Allstays app is good for looking at reviews of lesser known gas stations. Sometimes another RVer will leave a comment that helps me determine whether it’s with my time to stop for fuel or not.
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:02 PM   #22
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
I plan my trips using RVTripWizard.com. It shows me when I need to get gas. I click on the stations in that area and copy the address and paste them into google maps. I then use street views to see if I can get in and out of the station easily. So far this is never failed me. I then download the trips to my Garmin GPS. It guides me to each station along the trip to our destination. This makes trips so much less stressful compared to flying by the seat of your pants and trying to find a station when needed. It also prevents wasted time of exiting and looking at a station that doesn't work for you.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Our first Airstream was towed by a truck I used to tow boats for a local repair yard. It had a 50 gal. aux. tank in the bed. Moving boats from Florida to Texas was pretty common. Since then the next pick-ups were fitted with aux. tanks as part of the new truck outfitting process. -I'm talking about diesel, gas aux tanks are a whole different story esp. to remain DOT compliant-

Our current truck has a 36 gal. OEM tank with a 40 gal. aux. The aux. tank takes 9" of the front of the bed and gives us approx. 850 miles of towing (1000+mi. running solo) by the time the OEM tank gets to 1/2 full, or it's time to do the Service Station Tango. It also makes a good shelf for the quick access items. Adding the TSD card to the equation has made the 'dance' a rare travel entertainment event ...but it doesn't eliminate it, Murphy is always lurking along the highways and byways.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSGAirstream View Post
Having done that dance a few times, our routine is now to fill the TV before hooking up for the day's drive. Day before while doing groceries, the morning of etc. We've found that our F150 Ecoboost pulls our 19 27FBQ Globe-trotter about 450 miles on a tank and that is all you want to drive in a day. Repeat as needed until trip is done. Much more relaxing.
Good advice, once in a city in Tennessee desparately needed diesel (never be desparate!) found one with the GasBuddy app but the pump was in a corner of the lot. Couldn't get the TV close enough to the pump (the hose was very short). Had to unhitch, fuel up and rehitch. Live and learn.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:04 PM   #25
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, here's one for the "nuttiest stop" category.

We're out in the middle of nowhere on the interstate. We pull off to scope out a gas station. Co-pilot mentions that there's already an AS pulling out from one of the pumps. We haven't seen another silver hotdog all day so this is a bit of a surprise. By the time we get over there, another AS has pulled up to that pump. We get in line. By the time we pull out, there's another one pulling in behind us.

Crazy ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:14 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Cash Is King!

One little correction. ALL truck stops accept cash or a personal credit card for everything including fuel. Also, your personal credit card WILL work at the pump for diesel just like any gas station. Myself, I would stay away from the huge chain truck stops like Love’s, TA, Pilot, Flying J etc. as you could get stuck waiting for an hour to get to the pump and their prices are inflated. Fuel at the smaller independents!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
My worst experience with the service station tango happened a few years back towing our previous 30' Classic on a trip back from South Dakota to California. I pulled into a busy station/mini mart in Wyoming with the dreaded perpendicular to the building fueling lanes. There looked to be a safe exit to the rear of the station so I forged ahead.

After fueling, I took the exit to the rear only to find that after making the left behind the building the driveway was quite narrow. Worse, the next left was going to be too tight because there was a raised planter strip which bordered the driveway on the other side of the station. I would never be able to make the turn with the trailer. Attempting to back out through the busy mini mart parking lot was pretty much out of the question.

With my mind sorting through a bunch of really unpleasant scenarios I chose one. I put the F250 in 4WD low and moving slowly and carefully I begin to drive across the grass planter strip with our 30' trailer following dutifully behind, emerging into the parking lot of an adjacent business. I'm sure it was an interesting sight for anyone who was watching. Fortunately, the planter strip curb wasn't really high and I managed to execute the maneuver without damaging wheels or bottoming the trailer.

Lesson learned; I will never enter a fueling station again with doing a full survey of the layout. I stop at locations catering to trucks and trailers whenever possible. Also, now having a 25' trailer helps.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:44 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Niagara Falls , Ontario
More about gassing up

The obvious solution is to install, if possible, an extra fuel tank or extra large fuel tank, in the tow vehicle. A lot of construction trucks carry an extra tank in the bed with 50-100 gallons of fuel that can be valved/pumped into the main tank when needed. You could also install a tank and pump on the front of the trailer and use it when needed. Having the ability to travel 1500 miles without having to refuel gives you the option of stopping at your convenience at a fuel station that is suitable for the minimum amount of tango, and the best service.
hairyclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:07 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I usually look for Love's stations when I'm on interstate highways. They're designed to accommodate bigger rigs and trailers, and they often offer other services too like RV dump stations and CAT scales. On backroads, I follow the same logic as you do. I look for outside pumps, easy access in and out, etc. My wife and I sometimes eat lunch in the Airstream at a fuel stop, but I pull away from the pumps and find a spot to park that's not blocking anyone. I haven't had as much luck at Flying J stations. They're often old and dirty. I try to avoid them.
Loves are usually what we like as well. however, The loves just west of Gallup is one to avoid. while the commercial truck area is fine, the gas area is not. the pumps are situated too close to the building to comfortable make a turn into/out-of the pumps with a 30', especially if parking in front of the store is full. The other side of the pumps are butted up against a rise in the pavement that can't be cleared with a 30' unless you are lifted. I learned this the hard way.

The other thing to bear in mind with All the gas stations is the fact that people will cut you off and block you without even thinking about it. They are oblivious to the room that you require to maneuver. I have had to get out and ask a person to move from the spot they just occupied more than once. (politely, of course). Most are very apologetic for doing that. They just are not aware.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Viair

Roger that! Comes in very handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
This is why I bought a Viair 12 volt air compressor. You should too.

Mike
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:59 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Ray quote post #18: "Just to add before I go completely senile."

Well, I guess you are almost there. That's what makes your threads so delightful.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:59 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSGAirstream View Post
Having done that dance a few times, our routine is now to fill the TV before hooking up for the day's drive. Day before while doing groceries, the morning of etc. We've found that our F150 Ecoboost pulls our 19 27FBQ Globe-trotter about 450 miles on a tank and that is all you want to drive in a day. Repeat as needed until trip is done. Much more relaxing.
This is my primary strategy, although in general a great discussion. If I know I am going to have to stop for fuel, I'll check it out, with google maps and street view, and write down or memorize the exit number, using all the considerations mentioned in this thread.

Also have 5 gal can of gas in the truck bed to stay out of those desperate situations ( and get to the stay for the evening).

With 30' and 3/4 ton, range is only about 350 miles, but DW doesn't want to ride that long anyway. Nor do the dogs, nor do I want to tow more either.
Al U. Minium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:39 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
The F150 with 36 gallon tank helps. But I never like to get below half. About every two hours we stop and about every two hours we get gas. Always look for parallel pumps to the gas station or stations where I can go on the outside and then drive around the station when done. I do remember in South Dakota having to drive in and then back up out of the gas station. Didn’t have a choice. Thankfully it wasn’t busy.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykytiukr View Post
One little correction. ALL truck stops accept cash or a personal credit card for everything including fuel. Also, your personal credit card WILL work at the pump for diesel just like any gas station. Myself, I would stay away from the huge chain truck stops like Love’s, TA, Pilot, Flying J etc. as you could get stuck waiting for an hour to get to the pump and their prices are inflated. Fuel at the smaller independents!
You are wrong my friend....they will take credit card or cash inside at the register spot on there....but I personally have been in 15 states where my credit card will not work at the pump. They want a WEX card or go inside where they happily take my credit card...meaning they will not take your credit card at the pump in many situations.

Just to clarify the real life world.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:02 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
2023 30' International
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Another happy TSD logistics user. The card at at a Petro or TA can save close to 70 cents a gallon. Pilot used to be in their program and they no longer offer a good discount. With TSD they draft your bank account . I think the reason truck stops seem higher price for diesel is to make up for the discounts they give truckers. But with the TSD card, we pay close to what they are paying .

We have experienced getting stuck behind a trucker who pulled up after fueling up and ran inside for 15 min, but that was the exception.

We had a 34 gallon tank on our F350 Diesel and just upgraded to an S&B filter 60 gallon tank. My miles to empty now show over 900 miles. We only fill up once a day now.
wilsodf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:46 AM   #36
Master Chief BT

2018 27' International
Tyler , Texas
Service Station Tango was main driver for my in bed aux tank from Titan Tanks. 50 extra gallons of diesel to give me 800-900 miles of range. So the trade off is uncoupling the Hensley nightly but I’ll take it to not have to stop for fuel and try and dance thru any pump islands…..works for me!

Buccees is the best of both worlds when you do have to stop!
WBCCI#11290
US Navy (ret) Master Chief Boiler Technician
BTCMUSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:48 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
You are wrong my friend....they will take credit card or cash inside at the register spot on there....but I personally have been in 15 states where my credit card will not work at the pump. They want a WEX card or go inside where they happily take my credit card...meaning they will not take your credit card at the pump in many situations.

Just to clarify the real life world.
Well…..I’ve been purchasing truck diesel in pretty much all 48 states upwards of $2000 a week on my Capitol One Quicksilver for about four years now with no issues. Started doing this when our company issued fleet cards were not accepted at the cheap fuel stops.

“Just to clarify the real world life”
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:51 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
I must be going to the wrong places..... Just shows we each have our own reality. Makes the world go round. Thanks for correcting me.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:38 AM   #39

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One of my other criteria for gas stops are those that are considered Top Tier. Top Tier additives are the standard in clean fuel and are recommended by many vehicle manufacturers. I've never had issues with injectors in any of my vehicles which I attribute to using Top Tier gas. I noticed that there are also Top Tier diesel fuel stations also. Here's the link to the brands and states.

https://toptiergas.com/consumers/

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Recall the Middle East Oil Embargo? 1973

Drove from Cheyenne, Wyoming to Denver, Colorado. When I arrived in Denver... the gasoline stations all closed early. I had only enough gasoline to get MOST of the way back to Cheyenne.

Solution.

Siphoned fuel from my friend's mother's vehicle. Put a hose into the tank and sucked to get it primed.

I DO NOT ADVISE ANYONE TO TRY THIS. I belched regular gasoline all the way back to Cheyenne. But did get enough gasoline in a bucket and into my vehicle.

If you think this cannot happen again... you better use a system better than mine to siphon fuel. Also a locking gasoline cap. I am a geologist of some sort or other. I find NO drilling rigs in Wyoming on our last couple years of Boondocking. I am glad that I can chip flint to make my own tools. Otherwise I would have to eat food out of cans, like the rest of you.