Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Sebring , Florida
Selling Airstream

We just listed our beloved Airstream in the classifieds and I have been contacted by a “potential” buyer. He’s wanting to send money to my pay pal account and after we have received payment he will send the shipper to pick it up. He says he needs my name, paypal address and my address. I’m a pretty trusting soul and sell homes for a living, but have no clue about PayPal. How do others sell Airstreams across the country? Needing help ASAP! Thanks!
LauraShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
I have no experience with this, however, my first instinct would be that it is a scam. Be very careful.

Doesn't he even want to inspect it? Might be too good to be true.

EDIT: I've sold a lot of stuff on Craig's List and NextDoor, and one thing I've figured out is this...I will always ask a lot of questions of the potential buyer. Just chit chat, making conversation. "Oh, you live nearby? Where do you live? You get off work at 3pm? Where do you work?" Stuff like that. The people I'm suspicious of, seem to just drop off the planet once I start asking questions.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraShirley View Post
We just listed our beloved Airstream in the classifieds and I have been contacted by a “potential” buyer. He’s wanting to send money to my pay pal account and after we have received payment he will send the shipper to pick it up. He says he needs my name, paypal address and my address. I’m a pretty trusting soul and sell homes for a living, but have no clue about PayPal. How do others sell Airstreams across the country? Needing help ASAP! Thanks!
I've sold cars that way. The money was in my account and verified before they picked up both cars.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There are a number of threads here about how to buy and sell safely, if you want to google the topic at the top of the page.

I believe PayPal is a classic scam...

Maggie
Old 11-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraShirley View Post
You are describing a classic, well-known scam. Once the trailer is gone, the check bounces, guaranteed. Or the buyer files a complaint with PayPal and you lose the money and the trailer with no recourse. Run, don't walk away from this one....

When YOU are selling, it is NOT a good idea to trust anyone, especially when a) The buyer does not inspect the merchandise, b) PayPal is involved, and c) lots of money is involved.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #6
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
This is certainly a scam. If they say: "I am a verified paypal user" run like the wind.
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:46 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Sebring , Florida
Thanks guys! I figured that out when A) consider it sold at full price and B) when I asked if I could call him he told me he couldn’t hear and therefore had to text only! If something seems to good to be true...it probably is!! LOL! I appreciate the info!
Old 11-09-2017, 05:05 PM   #8
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I sold mine to an out of town buyer. I required certified check to be overnighted with 2 signed copies of the sales agreement. Once the funds cleared in my bank I counter-signed the sales agreement and signed over the title when he came to pick it up.

Require a certified check - it's the only way to go.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Sebring , Florida
Thank you!
Old 11-09-2017, 05:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
It's a SCAM!

We've sold 4 previous Airstreams and every time we get one of these thieves trying to pull this trick on us. Each time I request telephone #s, addresses, references, etc. and it scares them away quickly.

Don't do it! It's a SCAM.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
right...be very careful....take your time lots of scams out there
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:39 PM   #12
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by djarrett View Post
This is certainly a scam. If they say: "I am a verified paypal user" run like the wind.
I have sold two airstreams and three cars with a down payment from Paypal so don't believe that every offer is a scam. Taking a down payment of 1K OR 2K secures you from accepting further offers and holding the trailer until the buyer shows up to pick up the trailer and bring cash or even better, a bank to bank transfer. You only need to provide your paypal deposit info and an address where they can pick up the trailer. Cash or bank transfer only.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #13
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Certified checks are easily faked. Funds wired to your bank are the safe way to get the job done.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:24 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Key Largo , Florida
I had read and digested this thread when it first started . Yesterday we decided to put our Airstream up for sale in the Air Forum classified ads and within a few hours have already had several approaches that mirror the original posters experience: people unable to make a trip to see it, agreeing to the price and using Paypal and a freight company to collect........
Martin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I've had excellent experiences with PayPal except when I complained about misrepresentation....PayPal took the side of the seller. (I did receive the merchandise...a skylight for the AS shipped from a small co. in Maine....it was just 2 month's later.)

The internet can provide ALL SORTS of information about you...if you release your address, name, or IP address to an inquisitive type. IF you accept such a request for your name/address.... give an address of a nearby or convenient shopping center or police dept. instead of your home address. Do not give your full name... I.E., give your initial and last name.
Insist on verified funds in your bank before delivering a Bill of Sale or the item, and insist upon a gov't photo I.D. before signing anything. In the case of THIS thread.... a gov't issued I.D. and contact info (after which you called THEM back).... would likely weed out scammers.

I bought my Sport from a seller in a nearby town. He was the most nervous seller I'd ever encountered. My wife and I met him personally, inspected the AS in person at his property, and left him an earnest-money check (which cleared immediately) and signed duplicate copies of Letter-of-Intent to purchase within 2 weeks.
I did a Title-search on the AS, and then sent him another personal check for the rest of the agreed sales price (he refused to accept Cashier's check, Bank transfer, or wire-transfer or anything else)....which was written on a local bank, and which cleared his bank account in two days. He then refused to meet for the Bill of Sale and Title transfer for another WEEK.
I wasn't certain we'd actually get the AS as late as 1 hour before the agreed meeting. I've bought and sold airplanes internationally in my career for many years and have never run into such a nervous seller.
Escrow services are also worthwhile in some cases.

NEVER provide all YOUR personal info.... Instead, INSIST on the buyer providing THEIR PERSONAL INFO. Then verify it.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote