Old 10-12-2020, 03:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Arlington , Texas
Security

Whatís the consensus on hitch locks. Been reading a little and have seen some videos where they destroy several of these gizmos in minutes.
Currently considering the Amplock but my dealer recommended a different brand.. Blue Ox, think.
Any thoughts?
rushmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
A determined professional thief will get around any lock.
Then, there’s that part of the population that thinks, “If they’re making it this easy, it must be OK.” I suspect there are a lot more of those guys out there.
$50 will buy you a pretty good lock. How much did you pay for that trailer?
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:56 PM   #3
ZOZ
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
Proven Good

https://www.provenlocks.com/products...14376501018690
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Proven locks a very easy to defeat with a battery powered hand drill. Don't waste your money on one. They aren't worth the money - although they do look really nice.
tbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I agree, the best purpose of a lock is to persuade the thief to find an easier target. Second is to slow the determined thief down long enough there is a risk they are caught. To this end several deterrents are better than a single one. Coupler lock and wheel chock locks are a good combination. Coupler only still allows the trailer to be quickly dragged away with chains if they can't defeat the lock easily. A sticker warning of a security camera is a nice added touch.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
A determined professional thief will get around any lock.
Then, thereís that part of the population that thinks, ďIf theyíre making it this easy, it must be OK.Ē I suspect there are a lot more of those guys out there.
$50 will buy you a pretty good lock. How much did you pay for that trailer?

Exactly what I was thinking. How much will you spend to protect your very pricy trailer.
Thatís why I wasnít balking at the price of the amplock. But if itís no better than the $60 model, whatís the point of that? Wheel locks sound like a good add on. Thanks for the information!
Old 10-12-2020, 08:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
We have a proven lock. I agree that you likely donít need to spend the money for one but we had the money and spent it when we did. We are in an RV park with two other Airstreams. Neither use anything on their hitches.

At best the thief would go for their units. At worst, they will break into mine or use the chains to get it out.

Think about tow truck drivers towing cars. There are all sorts of tools for different jobs to get your completely secure car. If a thief really wants what you got they will invest in the proper tools to get your rig.

Trust in god, but lock your car. We are happy with our proven lock and itís proven to detour thieves for the past two years being full time on the road.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Security

Strong chains tying a pair of wheels together. Removable safety chains. GPS tracker inside the Airstream. Video cameras covering the Airstream in the driveway. Territorial dogs that sound off instantly 24/7 when strangers walk by. Insurance that covers replacement value. All this is well worth the investment.

A neighborhood reputation that says Iíll shoot first and ask questions of the survivors afterward, if any, priceless!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Do a search here and you will find a video of someone driving off with a locked trailer in about a minute. This was a demo, not an actual theft. The trailer had a hitch lock on it, and the "thief" simply ignored it. He backed the truck up to the trailer and used chains to tie the trailer to the truck's hitch. Then he plugged in the lights, retracted the jack, and drove off. True, it wasn't properly hitched, but he got away with a trailer in short order. A real thief probably would have had a place nearby where he could have taken the extra time to remove the lock and hook up properly.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:41 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
Vickery , Georgia
I bought the exact Proven lock ZOZ posted. I agree that if someone wants it bad enough, they will get it. But I figure Iím going to make it as difficult as possible.
2019 RAM 2500 Limited (6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel)
WBCCI# 8026
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:15 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
We remove the safety chains and put an internal switch on the electric jack.
The batteries are inside the trailer.
We do not have a traditional ball hitch.

There is a mean bird inside.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
we turn all front power off
plus add the BRAHMA wheel lock
http://www.brahmalock.com

with that you cant even drag it away
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

42į 2' 27" N / 74į 7' 6" W , US
https://immobilize.com/hikashop-menu...r-coupler-lock

Plus a wheel lock.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Proven Lock defeats

For any lock you might be considering, check out the brand name on YouTube. I used to have lug nut locks on my wheels until I lost the key and found out how easy they were to remove; just seconds. The Lock Picking Lawyer makes some interesting YouTube videos. Here's a couple for the Proven Lock, and you know thieves look on YouTube as well.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE
Most of us don't know exactly what we want, but we're pretty sure we don't have it. -Alfred E. Neuman
richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:24 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
I read that the video above was the older Proven Lock design, and the newer models aren’t as susceptible to the type of attack shown in that video. I don’t know if that is true or not. I ended up buying the Proven Lock, and I like it. I like the fact that it locks the chains too. As others have said, a determined thief will ultimately defeat any type of lock.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
For any lock you might be considering, check out the brand name on YouTube. I used to have lug nut locks on my wheels until I lost the key and found out how easy they were to remove; just seconds. The Lock Picking Lawyer makes some interesting YouTube videos. Here's a couple for the Proven Lock, and you know thieves look on YouTube as well.
If one was to make a cap that covered the front of the lock and attaches it to the front pipe that houses the lock. This would allow the lock to flop around inside the little secured area you just made. When a drill is used to go through the newly added cover it will deflect off the floppy lock and snap the bit. Now the unlocked SOB next door is looking better and better!

I am going to make a cover one of these days to install on my Proven Hitch lock

I have made a wheel lock that I am fine tuning to accommodate different wheels and sizes using the Proven Puck Lock.

In the end, every device can be cut off if the thief has enough time and no one is around to hear the noise.

Put the trailer on blocks and store the wheels in a different location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E6A0F070-762C-4994-9664-D64615D1C8D0_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	381156  

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:04 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Arlington , Texas
Thank you everyone for your posts. Looks like several deterrents might be the best way to go. The Brahma Wheel Lock looks very good. I am also considering sinking a couple of hardened eye bolts into the pad I’m having poured. So, those two things, coupled with turning off the power seem like they may just be enough.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:32 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Temecula , California
All great choices. But I pay 600 bucks a year for replacement insurance. That and a simple coupler lock. If they want it, they will take it. Tiny Cloud is an investment, and so is the insurance to protect it.

However the GPS tracking thingy might be a good investment, if I can figure out how not to drain the battery during storage.

Any suggestions on this type of preventive tech?
Tiny Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Security

I use a built-in GPS and a ham radio APRS system. Since my batteries are maintained by solar panels the drain is not significant. The system reports via radio link when the Airstream is in motion. Requires a Ham radio license and some specific hardware to do this.

There are other systems. LoJack comes to mind.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
I have made a wheel lock that I am fine tuning to accommodate different wheels and sizes using the Proven Puck Lock.
A question: If someone lets the air out of the tire, won't it just hang loose and the next wheel will roll? I've seen some of these wheel locks and have wondered about that. Seems like if you lock the 2 wheels together it would be a better deterrent.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE
Most of us don't know exactly what we want, but we're pretty sure we don't have it. -Alfred E. Neuman
richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote