Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2022, 06:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
League City , Texas
Securing Dinette table

I have a 27FB and was wondering if anyone does anything special to secure the dinette table when traveling. I imagine it bounces quite a bit while traveling and either the post or hinge (on the wall) may break sooner or later. It is a pain to put in bed mode also every time I take to the road. Thanks for any ideas.
Bright67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:44 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
South , South Dakota
We put it in bed mode from 07 till this year. We have now mounted it to the wall. We put it up and down many times and used it for a bed only a a half a dozen times. We will put the kids in a hotel from now on when needed

2007 25' FB International CCD Solar
2019 Toyota Tundra
rd tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:17 PM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Normally the table will stay in place...until it doesn't. Have had the table come off the hinges, land three feet away and ding the vinyl floor. If you hit highway (like I-20 in Shreveport) and start porpoising, pull over and secure. Or just put down all the time.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Securing Dinette Table.... to the Floor

Two steps to permanently secure the table. If you do not...

- the flimsy attachment to the front interior wall will fail... some day
- the bracket bolts, securing the table, needs to be tightened securely

The FIX:

Go to a hardware store and get two angled brackets that sure shelving. Choose what you like the best. Chrome colored brackets look nicest.

I drill a small 'pilot hole' so the threaded screw will be secure and tight.

Worked on three Airstreams.

The same brackets I use to secure walls that are not secured to the floor. You will see on the linoleum, which walls (bathroom on FBQ) are really flimsy. May take the corner out to the left side entering the restroom and install brackets, like I used for the front table.

You can also bracket outside. I want to FIX the Wall and Secure. The brackets do the job. Once you get the idea, you can also then FIX other loose walls, drawers, shelves...

New Airstream Owners with a new trailer find things falling apart. They learn after the fact to secure them. We do it after purchase.

I am not restoring a Rare 1930's Bowlus.

I covered this on the Forum some time ago and would not know where the Thread may be. But it works for us, we have nothing falling out, off or apart.

Shower Doors are also an issue:

The heavy glass shower door. Use your imagination to secure the door from bouncing so the door drags. The plastic FIX sent for these doors at the bottom frame area... temporary at best. Been an issue since 2006. Door is too heavy for a trailer traveling and most if not all... need to be lifted to open.

(If the plastic block fix fails. Figure out how to get the door lifted, just a bit higher to clear and not leak into the hallway. Each door has a cure... and after some attempts... comes a solution. You need only a fraction of clearance to have the door swing and open / close like it should.)
Old 07-02-2022, 08:43 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Lucy's dinette table has bounced out of the wall brackets several times on really roug
h sections of road. We decided that this problem had to come to an end.

We attached a stainless steel loop to the bottom of the table and another to the floor. We put a 1" velcro strap between the two loops locking the table to the floor.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220508_151709.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	418783   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220508_151646.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	418784  

moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright67 View Post
. . .
. . . It is a pain to put in bed mode also every time I take to the road.
, , ,
Still the best and most secure method. and worth the labor time for peace of mind and a secure solution.

Time well spent IMO.

KISS

Peter
Por Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd tighe View Post
We put it in bed mode from 07 till this year. We have now mounted it to the wall. We put it up and down many times and used it for a bed only a a half a dozen times. We will put the kids in a hotel from now on when needed
Bed mode for us too. Takes less than a minute. Pull up the seat cushion at the back of the cushion so that the front edge rests on the plywood. Lower the table. Pull the seat cushion from the front to slide it onto the table.

And we don’t drive through Shreveport any more. To label I20 “third-world worthy” is an insult to third-world countries. Occasionally they fill the potholes but within weeks they are potholes again.

More fixes…I removed the table. Then removed the bracket and, with the help of a bench vise, adjusted the angle to tighten the table against the wall. I replaced all the screws while in there. The screw holes in the particle board required the match-stick fix. The table leg wouldn’t release easily so I added washers between the leg bracket and the table. Match-stick glued in the hole there too.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote