Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Securing a trailer left in a campground

so now we're finally planning our shake-down cruise with the Globie, and I'm wondering about security- I know an Airstream is a big thing to make off with, but it has happened, and I wondered what people do to secure theirs. I was thinking of having something like a boot fabricated, that could be locked on the tire...

thanks

Peter
Old 09-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Peter,

I am actually researching this very thing for a work trailer. A true "Denver Boot" style security device will cost close to $500, but is a small investment when compared to the security it offers. I strongly recommend that if you get one of these wheel immobilizer devices, be sure it is one that blocks the lugs otherwise someone could just jack up the trailer and place another tire on the axle. I am leaning towards something like this one:

Note: I am in NO WAY affiliated with this company or anyone who sells this device.
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Well I use what I have at the moment,which is the latch lock,which I used even when on the highway.It prevents someone from unlatching the trailer from the TV and I feel it also prevents an accidental uncouple.
I also use a U bolt and ball type lock which puts something in the ball space so it cannot be hooked on too. That's the only lock that fits my rolled lip coupler.
I am seriously considering the expanding chocks which are put between the tires,this prevents the trailer from rocking or moving when dropped and some models or brands are also lockable. These measures only slow down the pro-thieves,and that's just exactly what they don't want.
Best of Luck on Your Search
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The boots are very good. Will you just be leaving your Globie at a campground while you go out and about during the day?

A hitch lock can come in handy. These will slow down what would have to be a very well-equipped thief. Such a heist would be so noisy that everybody in the campground will be alerted. This makes it less likely to happen.

A Fulton Gorilla Guard or a Husky are very good. You will have to check what will work best with your receiver.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
I also use a U bolt and ball type lock which puts something in the ball space so it cannot be hooked on too. That's the only lock that fits my rolled lip coupler.
Hi, I use this kind on my rolled lip coupler. [Guardian G-37]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 436 (Large).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	88024  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We've got one of these: Vehicle immobilizer, commercial car immobilizer vehicle parking enforcement

They're kind of expensive, but are very secure and are a very visible theft deterrent. And, I think most people know what they are and that the police/parking enforcement use them, so they figure it isn't worth messing with them.

You can get them off, but it's very difficult and noisy. Check out U-Tube for some videos. It's unlikely that someone will take it off without someone hearing them.

Two big drawbacks; they are heavier than heck, and very cumbersome to install and store when not use.

I am going to try and see if this will qualify for an insurance discount. I figure if the insurance rep doubts it's effectiveness, I'll put it on his car and see if he can get it off.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
If you're talking about a camper that's actually in use (on a site, hooked up, etc., even if you aren't there), I wouldn't worry too much about it being stolen. Sure, it probably has happened, but the odds of it happening to you are extremely low. Why try to steal something like that when it's far easier to pull a camper out of a storage yard?

I'd say, put the awning out and put the picnic table as close as possible (not touching) to the camper to make it even more complicated to steal. Get a Master Lock hitch lock and put it on so they have to break the hitch lock to steal it.

Having my camper stolen is the last thing I worry about in a campground. If I did feel that way, I'd find another campground.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Skater makes a good point. Being in a campground means you are parked near other people who are coming and going, which makes it more difficult for a thief to go unnoticed. Also, the other people there are campers, too. Most likely, they aren't interested in taking your trailer. However, don't count on them doing much if someone does try to steal it. They probably wouldn't recognize a thief (versus the actual owner), since the neighborhood changes every night.

Used to be that you didn't have to worry about other campers; they looked out for each other. There was a time when we didn't have to worry about leaving anything outside; others just didn't bother your stuff. I remember one time coming back to camp when we were tent camping (before Airstreaming); and the neighbors had put our camp stove and lantern in our tent, because it had rained.

Unfortunately, times have changed; and I now use a parking boot. It's kind of like using a club on our pickup; if our truck and trailer have visible theft deterrents, hopefully, the thieves will just move on to easier pickings.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
As Skater said, making it more difficult to get to will make it less of a target. In camp, putting down the stabilizers is another good idea. Anything you can do to slow down the ease of stealing a trailer, makes your AS less of a target.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
It's hard to make a rig 100% secure, but, as others have pointed out, the odds are so strongly in your favor that 100% security is a questionable goal.

It's kind of like your house. Sure, you lock all the doors and windows and hit the trail. Anybody with a handy rock would be in the house in seconds. What are the odds?

Lynn
Old 10-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
In OK an AS owner wanting to get a good site for the holiday weekend set up camp on Wed. and went home.

Came back on Fri. and not only was their AS gone someone else was in the site and had no idea the AS had been stolen.

We talked to them a month or so later and no word on the AS they figure it is now someones hunting cabin.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Hi, wow, thanks for all the great suggestions! I agree, you can't make your rig 100% secure; I'm just looking to improve my chances. Chris Deam (the designer of the CCDs) lost his trailer, I think it was stolen from in front of his house in SF or something. Being smallish, my Globetrotter is easy to tow, there is a lot of interest in vintage Airstreams things now, and I'd just feel better leaving it for a day out if it was somehow immobilized. I LOVE the Denver Boot, and after all the stuff I've done to this thing, 500 bucks doesn't seem so much. Maybe they could be powder coated silver... I do use a ball lock while it sits in it's fenced yard. A great deal of the value of the lock is peace of mind. Now, where do I get the boot?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I left the wheel boot the standard yellow color. Personally, I want people to notice that a boot is installed so they'll skip our Airstream. Also, I was a little afraid that if it matched the wheels too well, I might not notice it myself and try to drive off with it still installed (it has a spike that punctures the tire).

As an amusing aside, some people at one campground mentioned that they thought the police or campground personnel had booted our trailer and wondered what we had done.

Universal Boot sells the boots to individuals from their Web site, but you may want to contact their sales rep before you buy, to get more info and to make sure you get the right one to fit your wheels.

I am attaching an extract from some correspondence I had with Universal Boot, that has their sales rep's contact information. (By the way, I have no association with this company, other than purchasing one of their boots.)

Earlier this year, they had a bundle that included shipping and one of their special locks, although I don't see it on their site anymore.

==============

"The airstream with 225 mm width tire definitely needs the PF01 regular.

"I can make a kit with any product/lock combo you like...

Olivier Dumoulin (Sales Representative)
Universal Boot Inc
1-888-354-5699
Cell: (514) 804-6385
info@universalboot.com