Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Woodinville , Washington
Seattle to Jackson Hole Suggestions

Greetings all! We are headed to Jackson Hole from Seattle tomorrow. This is our first rather unstructured adventure, and we're looking forward to it. We have reservations in Jackson Hole, but everything else is wide open. Any points of interested or campgrounds we should try to hit? Thanks for your thoughts.

Kevin
kmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
I kind of hate to say it but there are not many outstanding campgrounds along the way, all depending on your preferences. If you were going via Yellowstone I would suggest Three Forks (MT) and Livingston (MT) where the KOA on the Yellowstone River is great (the campsite that are on the river that is!) but you may be taking I-15 south, near Butte, so those are not options. I drive it several times a year (Port Townsend - Eastern Montana) and it is a good highway, nice scenery, good services (though again lacking in quality campgrounds) and worth it to get to Yellowstone, the Tetons or even the far eastern edge of Montana. You will go over a number of mountain passes but all "no problem", especially this time of the year.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBelle View Post
I kind of hate to say it but there are not many outstanding campgrounds along the way, all depending on your preferences. If you were going via Yellowstone I would suggest Three Forks (MT) and Livingston (MT) where the KOA on the Yellowstone River is great (the campsite that are on the river that is!) but you may be taking I-15 south, near Butte, so those are not options. I drive it several times a year (Port Townsend - Eastern Montana) and it is a good highway, nice scenery, good services (though again lacking in quality campgrounds) and worth it to get to Yellowstone, the Tetons or even the far eastern edge of Montana. You will go over a number of mountain passes but all "no problem", especially this time of the year.
Thanks for the input! I think right now, we plan on going via the northern route (montana) and returning the southern route. We do plan on hitting both Sun Valley and McCall ID most likely on the return.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:18 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
When you return via the southern route, I would suggest the Columbia Sun RV Resort in Kennewick, WA. We just stayed there for the first time this past weekend and it was the nicest private RV resort we’ve ever stayed at.
dmcgaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:25 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgaugh View Post
When you return via the southern route, I would suggest the Columbia Sun RV Resort in Kennewick, WA. We just stayed there for the first time this past weekend and it was the nicest private RV resort we’ve ever stayed at.
Thanks for the recommendation. We will stay there for sure.

Kevin
Old 05-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
There is a nice RV park in St Regis calls Nugget RV. A comfortable drive from Seattle. Bozeman Hot Springs RV Park is nice and you get to use the natural hot springs there! In West Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park is super nice! Heading back the southern route, not much choice in Sun Valley. Just one RV park with hook ups and it is not great, but Sun Valley is really nice with lots of restaurants and golf and fly fishing. If boondocking go up past Sun Valley Resort and there are some nice forest service campgrounds up there. From there we like to go through Boise and then backroad to Walla Walla through the very cool town of Joseph OR but the drive up through McCall and into Lewistown is nice too. I like Wine Country RV Park in Prosser especially if you like wine touring. Have a great trip!
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
In St Regis Mt we stayed at Nugget RV. Hiking trails and room to run the dog. Missoula Mt-Jim and Marys RV. Nicely shaded. Good for an overnight. Butte Mt- the KOA is okay for an overnight. Nice people. Walmart not far away.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:48 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
Cascade Loop

We enjoyed doing the Cascade Loop, camping in Winthrop and Leavenworth on the way to Jackson Hole. It's a bit out of the way, but scenic and nice camping.

We've also done the route via Ketchum to Jackson - very interesting!!
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:51 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
RATHDRUM , Idaho
kmayer, you didn't say what activities you enjoy and would be interested in.

If you are going to stay in St. Regis, MT and you might want to take a bike ride, I would recommend checking out the Route of the Hiawatha.
you can rent bikes and get passes at the Lookout Pass Ski Area that is right off of I-90 at the Idaho/Montana border.

If you are into downhill mountain biking check out Silver Mtn in Kellogg, ID

If you are into craft beer, Missoula has a number of really good brewries, including Kettle Haus, Bayern, Highlander, ....

I hope that helps.

Later,

Bob
NIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:15 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Alexandria , Virginia
Hi Kevin,
My daughter,Henry the French bull dog,Sport 16 and Ich are currently at the Jackson Hole "Virginia Camp grounds site #28.We will be here until Jun 2nd then off to Yellow stone and further points North: Canada, Alaska and back east to Alexandria VA via Seattle.Please feel free to stop by and/or call 571-451-3185.We have been exploring
Grand Tetons daily and today my daughter is hiking the Lupine Meadows Trail.
Hope to hear from you,
Ron
Ron1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:54 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Same Question, but Boondocking Only

I am planning a similar trip, August 2019, but am looking for Boondocking (no hookups) suggestions only. OP did not specify. Bellingham, WA, to Jackson Hole, 2-3 weeks. National Parks, National Forests, State Parks, BLM, dispersed camping all OK. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!
Airhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:13 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Keene , Ontario
A few years ago we stumbled on to The Craters of the Moon in Idaho, east of Boise. Amazing place. Small boondocking sites were available for $10.
TheGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
Diamond Bar , California (winter) Montana (summer)
Hang a right at Missoula

Assuming you will be eastbound on I-90.

Consider heading south on US93 at Missoula, down thru the beautiful Bitterroot Valley and over Chief Joseph Pass.

You could continue south to the community of North Fork, Idaho, and stay at the Wagonhammer RV Resort, along the Salmon River.

Check out Challis Hot Springs as you continue south. Another good RV spot.

Google both places. I’m booked there in July.

Continue on 93 to Arco and bear left on Route 20 to idaho Falls, take US 26 to Route 31 at Swan Valley. Hang a left, continue to Victor. Right on Route 22 over Teton Pass and down into Jackson Hole.

This route’s a lot more interesting than I-90 to I-15.

If you must stay on the interstates, there are a couple of good campgrounds at Dillon, MT. But the Campgrounds just south of there at Clark Canyon Reservoir are tempting...BLM or Bureau of Reclamation operation...can’t recall which.
DRBusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Woodinville , Washington
Wow. What a wealth of great information. I can’t thank you enough. We will follow many if not all of these suggestions. We just now pulled into Camp Coeur D’Alene which seems quite nice and a great spot that is freeway close but doesn’t feel it. Tomorrow we plan the rest of the journey and will keep you all posted here. Thanks again.

Kevin, Jill and Izzie (golden Retriever).
Old 05-29-2019, 10:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Following .... with notebook in hand. Headed to ME in the early fall via CDA and EB I90.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:13 AM   #16
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Palouse Falls and Craters of the Moon.

Exotic landscapes.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Huntington Beach , California
If by chance you intend to go thru Victor, Idaho do NOT go to Jackson via Wyoming 22 unless you have a large tow vehicle and are experienced in downgrades, it is very steep and twisty.
Donamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:36 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hamilton , Montana
Pay attention to this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If by chance you intend to go thru Victor, Idaho do NOT go to Jackson via Wyoming 22 unless you have a large tow vehicle and are experienced in downgrades, it is very steep and twisty."

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ADVICE YOU WILL RECEIVE !!
montana brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana brad View Post
"If by chance you intend to go thru Victor, Idaho do NOT go to Jackson via Wyoming 22 unless you have a large tow vehicle and are experienced in downgrades, it is very steep and twisty."

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ADVICE YOU WILL RECEIVE !!
Yes - and here is useful info and a resource (see photos).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61B514AC-F9DD-4725-A768-0AB3B09D586F.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	380.9 KB
ID:	342548   Click image for larger version

Name:	63679B82-994C-476B-9E50-6367EA7EAAF7.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	444.1 KB
ID:	342549  

WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:57 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Woodinville , Washington
Thanks for the tip about Victor! I have heard it’s pretty darn steep and you need a robust rig to do comfortably.