Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2014, 05:11 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
The Villages , Florida
Hello kcbwil,

I have enjoyed reading all the information you have provided. I appreciate all the time and effort to send these blogs. I know it is not easy and requires a lot of time. Our plans are still to leave Florida on or about the 1st of June, heading your way. We are looking at making a pretty fast dash to Alaska from here and then return thru the lower states a less speedily, based on our return time.(sometime around the middle of August) I am estimating it will take about 10 days to get to the AK border from here. I hope that is realistic. At this time I am putting the truck together with all the stuff I think I may need. (extra belt, one change of oil, diesel fuel filter, washing bucket, extra wiper blades and fishing equipment) I have a 3600 watt, electric start generator with two 5 gal. cans for extra fuel, one gas for the generator and one diesel for the truck. The truck has been completely serviced and ready. I even purchased a engine On Board Diagnostic Code reader with reset capability, just in case.
I have not made reservation at Denali as I am having difficulty determining just when we will get there. Do you think I can get reservation in the campground with about 3 weeks advance notice?
We plan on getting in touch with you when we are in Anchorage to say hello. I have your phone number and Airstream handle. Hope that is sufficient.
Thanks again,
Uncle Bill (Bill & Margie Amtower)
Uncle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:37 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
The Villages , Florida
One more quick question....Do I really need to protect the front of my trailer? I am towing a 2012 31' Classic Limited with a 2002 GMC dually that I have outfitted with standard dully mud flaps. I also am not concerned with removing glue residue as I use Naphtha to clean studdorn stuff. It really works and does not harm anything I have found so far, leaving no film, squeeky clean. Some of the info I have read has many ideas, where most are very expensive. How fast are some of the drivers going to tear up the freah water drain? It would be easy enough to position a small piece of angled metal pop rivited to the undercarriage in front of the drain to protect it. Where do you stop trying to protect?
Thanks for all your help, again
Uncle Bill
Old 04-03-2014, 06:37 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Re ATT in Canada. Just left Fairbanks March 3 and cell was .59/minute plus some roaming charges. Our last trip in 2011 had no roaming charge and this time roaming was not on all the calls.

Protecting front of trailer - that is up to you, we have our AS to use so I don't do anything. Yes the stainless shields have some stone dents and road tar, and the trim strip along the bottom is getting beat up. But we haven't taken the AS on long drives on gravel, like the Haul Road or the Top of the World to Dawson. My water drain has a shield on the bottom and so far so good.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Airstream Forums mobile app

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Anchorage , Alaska
Protecting the obvious

Soiree brought back an itchy/scratchy memory of lying on a dusty Yukon pavement parking lot trying to figure out what was dripping. I remember reaching between the tires and thinking "how in the world" am I going to repair a cracked water tank drain valve on this "thing" in Whitehorse. It was just starting to sprinkle rain from one of the big clouds blowing by overhead and with my spouse standing over me she said "having fun yet". I wish I had heard from Soiree long prior to that day. Its a funny memory now, not so funny then.

Obviously, a rock popped up around the tires and smacked the valve, cracking it. The procedure to change that out that valve was a complete mystery to me, as connections were enclosed within the metal covering. So, I grabbed my ipad, walked over to a McDonald's to access the internet, and searched for advice on the AS forum. Sure enough, someone had posted a step-by-step method with a couple photos.

But, what about the part? I'm thinking that surely its some special gizmo-like fixture unique to an AS? But, when we stopped into the local RV repair shop they had the exact part on the shelf. Apparently, with the roads being what they are, they sell quite a few in that area. I was pretty proud of myself that I was able to change it out in an hour or so. But, more thankful for the posting in the forum and the help the AS contributors provided me.

I'd check out your particular drain valve and carry the $10 spare as I do now. Even with the metal guard, you might contrive of an easy way to wrap the exposed valve plastic part in a small piece of pipe insulation that can be easily removed when you get back to the lower 48.

I live in Alaska and the problem of gravel roads, oil and flying rocks may be especially acute to our roads. We know when its spring here because of the returning water foul and flaggers of the road repair companies. We live in an environment where semi trucks spraying oil on the road precede a truck dropping loose gravel. That's common here. You'll suddenly realize what's going on when you hear and see gravel flying in your rear view mirror.

Here's my experience with damage due to flying gravel. We have mud flaps and rock guards on our Tundra tow vehicle. I have not installed carpeting or other protection on our AS. Consequently, our AS has taken a beating. In the past couple years I have dismantled and replaced the plastic on the window rock guards and the stainless on the segment protectors, I covered the middle segment with stainless sheet, dismantled and powder coated or painted parts on the Hensley, powder coated our entry step and painted the frame on the front end. Does that say anything to you?

I'd suggest that you do what you reasonably can to protect value of yr AS: the plastic rock protectors, the segment protectors, the middle segment and the cover of the propane tanks. I'd make the covers removable and be comprised of a material that can be rolled up and then reused. You probably won't need the covers except on the section of roadway between Tok AK and Fort Nelson, BC on the Alaska highway or/and Smithers BC on the Cassiar.

Once, when passing through Watson Lake, I saw a couple checking on the temporary covers they had over the front end of their AS and remember thinking "I wish I had been smart enough to do that". I'd consider making the covers removable and reusable possibly using adhesive velcro or elastic straps. There's different grades of velcro and I think that the "industrial stuff" is appropriate. We've used it and then removed the glue later with "Goo-gone".

Here's an idea: Companies that supply and ship plastic sheeting like cutting board material UHMW use a thin sheet of dunnage plastic between the stacks of material. I went to our local supplier and he gave me a 4' X 8' piece of that plastic dunnage material which seemed about paper thickness and flexible. Cut it to the shape you need and use that as the foundation. You can attach anything that provides a cushion to that sheeting, like a thin sheet of packing material, insulation or carpet. Add some strong velcro/elastic attachments and your in business. For the propane tank cover I'd just make a padded drop over cover like you see on small generators or boat motors.

On the forum I've read of fellow AS owners who have taken advantage of sail making companies to fab up resuable covers, they look nice. Then there's people like the couple I saw in Watson Lake taping bubble wrap to their rock protectors. Better than nothing. You only need the covers on certain sections of the road. I wish that I had done so.

For what its worth, that's my two bits on the subject.

Here's something else I suggest you consider.....but, its going to confirm to you that I've flown upside down and over the top. A dash cam. Recently, I installed a Lukas Blackbox LK-7900 dash cam. I've been cut off so many times by my fellow Alasky-ites, dodged moose and bear, and seen something that I later wished I had videoed that I decided to make the plunge.

Investment: $250 plus I paid a local auto stereo installer about $100 to install it. Install the software on your computer, that's about it. Works flawlessly, automatically, and the video is good.

http://www.amazon.com/LUKAS-LK-7900-.../dp/B00C48TJ58

I don't notice that its behind my mirror, I don't even think of it when operating. I wish I had installed it before my last trip outside, I could have recorded the camp grounds, bears crossing, and used it to remind myself of events in our adventures. The residual benefit is that I find that I am driving with more caution and courtesy. I find I am paying attention to my driving, less of this "almost, but not quite" stopping at intersections.

Am I certifiable? Maybe, ....errrr, probably.

Free Advice Warning: My wife says that I should stop dispensing advice. She says I don't listen very well, that I'm very not good at taking advice. She knows this as I don't ever take any of her advice and we all know hers is better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1900.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	208895   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1442.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	208896  

Name:	BdA1X.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	208897  
kcbwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Anchorage , Alaska
Denali Park

If I recall correctly, Denali Park has several different campgrounds only one of which accommodates/dedicated to RV combinations over 30'. If there isn't space in the park then you can try some of the other campgrounds outside the park. Holidays it will be difficult to find camp spots.

From what I learned from a cursory check here, there's no way to guarantee that space will be available without reservations. That said, I've not attempted to make reservations ahead of time as I wasn't sure when I would actually be in the Park. The exception I'd consider is the annual road lottery to be able to drive all the way to Wonder Lake (85 miles inside) at the end of the season. I've only been to the end of the road once before, that was a long, wash board bumpy ride. We tent camped at Wonder Lake, it was clear and cold.

Permit Area Facility Details - DENALI NATIONAL PARK - ROAD LOTTERY, AK - Recreation.gov

I think your three week advance will probably work for you, better than 50/50.

The Park is huge, but during the summer you can only access (with your own vehicle) the entry/camping area. To access any portion beyond the entry area (maybe 10-15 miles at Savage River) you have to hop on one of the buses. You can get on and off a bus, walking for awhile, using your camera, then catch the next bus one way or the other.

The Park facilities and activities have markedly improved over the years. I like the visitor center, there's nice trails to hike, scenery is stellar (subject to weather) and we've always seen animals. At the peak of the season it will be a busy place. I think most of the facilities are operated by a concessionaire, the last time I was there it was well operated, no complaints. Once you're away from the main visitor center the crowd thins out.

Uncle Bill, I was looking over your list of gear. I've always had a small Honda 2000 inverter with me but I can't recall using it except to power a small air compressor or maybe to charge my AS batteries. I need to spend time on the forum electrical section to obtain some understanding of what is required of our vehicle alternator wiring that would effectively keep my AS batteries fully charged. I've read a few the posts on the topic but the terminology and technology is unfamiliar and over my head. Occasionally, I've found our AS batteries nearly depleted and it seems to take a very long driving cycle for them to recharge. I'm doing something wrong.

I always keep a tire repair punch kit with me, too. It came in handy on one trip.

http://www.omix-ada.com/instructions/15104.51.pdf

Occasionally, I see vehicles along side the road and I wonder if they want some help. I might stop if I think they really are broken down. Used to be that the universal sign of "broken down" was the hood raised up. A while back I saw a sign to place on the rear of your car, a pre-made yellow "Help Please" sign. No question that help is needed with sign like that.

I have a small CB that I keep in case I need help to speak to passing truckers, at least to ask them to send me some help if needed or to ask about the road ice and snow conditions. However, I believe CB's are obsolete these days as they mostly use another type of radio now. Something else I should search out in the forum.

Happy April:

Not An April Fools' Joke: Russians Petition To Get Alaska Back : Parallels : NPR

надеюсь увидеть вас в ближайшее время и удачи

nadeyus' uvidet' vas v blizhaysheye vremya i udachi

"hope to see you soon and good luck" .......in Russian
Old 04-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #66

1988 29' Excella
Austin , Texas
We did the trip 2011. We worked in Anchorage all summer. We departed Dawson Creek 5/1. Frost heaves were very prevalent. Canada usually has red flags on the side of the road to warn you of the heaves. Take heed. Recommend you put rock guards on you tow vehicle. Some trailer folks covered the front plastic shields with cardboard. Still got dings to the front to trailer rock guards. There was still plenty of snow, especially in the Rockies. Fuel stops are limited so take em when you can. Depending on the winter you may have a hard time finding campgrounds. We drove from Whitehorse to Tok before finding a campground. Canada does have pulloffs cleared you can dry camp at. Other than that it was a great trip.
thecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
If you have Verizon, for about $20.00/month, you have service in Canada. We used it on our trip, and as long as there was a cell signal, we had service.
For whatever it's worth.
Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
The Villages , Florida
Since I am pretty new to working with "Forums", I am confused. How do I include a photo "img" within my message? When I click on the "Insert Image" icon above, it wants a url of the photo. I am not educated on how to create a "URL" so that my picture will be seen. And, does the photo need to be a "gif" format? I tried copying a word file which had pictures imbedded into a Quick Reply Message and the pictures did not import. Thanks for the help.

I have tested an attachment showing the fresh water tank valve. Did I do that corectly?

Uncle Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1404040001 CROPPED.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	209361  
Old 04-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
That seems to have worked. The technique that I usually use if I don't have the image on a website somewhere goes something like this:

Click the "Go Advanced" button below the reply window. Then find the paperclip a the top of the new reply window. This lets you manage attachments. If you click on that, you will be given the option to upload pictures from your computer. Jpegs (.jpg) work fine.

You can upload as many pictures at once as you want. Then you go to write your reply. Any time you get to a place where you want to insert a picture, you click the paperclip, select the image you want, and it will put it in the place where your cursor was. You can put in as many or as few at a time as you want.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Anchorage , Alaska
Still chilly on the Kenai

Cabin fever has taken hold, I decided to drive down to Soldotna yesterday. Here's a photo of the Kenai. The ice is out, river is still down. Lovely drive, roads dry, pillowy snow drifts on the mountain sides, clear skies, few cars on the road.

Saw some boating activity, the commercial salmon fishers are getting their boats ready for the season.

Tonight is the annual Alaska Fly Fishers auction and gear sale, their fundraiser. We have a cargo trailer in storage, the Ak Fly Fishers are using it to transport the auction items to the venue today. Lots of volunteers helping out, the Ak Fly Fisher people are generous with their time and resources supporting a number of outdoor activities such as clinics, seminars and outdoor retreats. Nice bunch.

Annual Auction – Alaska Fly Fishers

The new Cabellas opened yesterday, store was swamped with people anxious for summer. "Camo buying ammo". Bass Pro Shop to opens this summer.

Its 20F this morning, I wish our nights would start warming up then some of this old snow would disappear.

Some nice negative tides at the end of April for clamming, but the best are mid-summer.

Alaska Outdoor Journal - 2014 Kenai Peninsula Razor Clam Digging Tides at Clam Gulch, Alaska

Time to sort out the clam shovel and bucket from the storage shed in hopes that the weather warms up. Clamming is just as fun as fishing here. On the inlet, people are after razor clams.

Cleaning Alaska's Razor Clams on Vimeo

They're easy and fun to dig for and, boy, are they good to eat.

Thanks for listening.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0209.JPG (3).JPG
Views:	120
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	209423   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0210.JPG (3).JPG
Views:	140
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	209424  

Old 04-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
1981 28' Airstream 280
Olympia , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to BusDriver
We are leaving for Alaska May 14 or 15, staying several days at Sheridan Lake with other Aistreamers, in BC, just east of 100 mile house and then head to Hyder Alaska and other new places. Originally we thought we had all summer, but now we see that we have to be back by about August 1st. We might have to go again next year by ferry.

Anyone else going during this time frame?
Check out our Travel Blog
buddytravels.blogspot.com Streamin with Joe and Buddy
BusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
My wife and I are headed home to Fairbanks in next few days, should be home by May 1. Anyone coming this way is welcome to contact me. Send PM I will give you my cell phone, may not answer it in Canada but will return calls once I am back in AK.
Rick

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Airstream Forums mobile app

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Anchorage , Alaska
Break-up

The lakes are still covered in funky ice, but the trees are starting to bud. The hay fever rodeo starts in just a couple weeks. Frost heaves on most roads, pot hole city. Avalanche season in the back country, it can be dangerous if you're not careful.

Geese flocks are showing, moose calves and waking "Bear Alerts" all happen during the break up season. The rivers are still low, but with all this sun and warmth the fish have to be active. The mosquitoes? They're the first to wake up, you have to keep moving when doing any yard work.

The weather in Anchorage has been stellar, no rain, bright sunny almost every day. I actually heard someone say, "it's hot today". Icy spots in our yard almost gone. People are starting to rake away winters accumulation of leaves and sticks. Daffodils and tulips are pushing up on the warm/sunny side of gardens.

Alaskans are solar powered, people are moving and itching to be outside. Officially at 15.5 hours of daylight and we're gaining 5.5 minutes a day, but it is light outside 5:30 - 10:30. 58F here, beautimous!

Friendly heads up: A friend was stopped by a Trooper this past weekend. He was driving in a "Safety Zone" (Safety Zones and Construction Zones have special driving rules) and was randomly pulled over. He found out that he hadn't installed his current tags and, being rattled, couldn't find his current insurance card...which resulted in a whopping $1200 in fines. Apparently, all fines are double fines in the speed Safety Zone. He pointed out that in Alaska its a $10,000.00 fine (highest in the nation) for texting while driving and double in a traffic zone. A real bell ringer for the Troopers who score that ticket in a Safety Zone. The Trooper suggested that he keep his insurance card updated digitally, and to keep his current insurance card accessible on his smart phone. In the end, my friend was able to have the fine reduced by bringing proof of insurance to the DMV.

Maybe we'll get some rain in the couple weeks to wash things off and settle the dust. The rain causes so much to happen around here. Once the buds pop, things turn green over night. If we don't get some rain soon we'll be into mid-May-June our driest season.

Hoping to bump into some you this summer here in 907 AK. Give us a call if you're interested in some friendly conversation, directions, a fish report....or a cup of coffee.

Thanks for listening.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
1981 28' Airstream 280
Olympia , Washington
We are almost packed and ready to go, hope to see other Airstreamers along the way. Leaving next week 5/14 going up through Prince George and then north through Dawson Creek, Chicken, Fairbanks, Homer and then wind south to the Cassier Hwy.

Look for 28' trailer towed with a silver Ford truck, WBCCI 7296.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Please please please try to post often. Would love to follow your adventure. (AK is on my bucket list)
Old 05-08-2014, 11:39 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Anchorage , Alaska
Look at this......gorgeous!

spectacular, splendid, superb, wonderful, grand, impressive, awe-inspiring, awesome, amazing, stunning, breathtaking, incredible

Come on up, .......yes, the weather is fine:

https://www.google.com/search?q=anch...l=np&source=hp

14 day extended forecast for Anchorage, Alaska, U.S.A.

Nothing but sunlight:
Sunrise and Sunset for U.S.A. – Alaska – Anchorage – coming days
Old 05-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
1981 28' Airstream 280
Olympia , Washington
Looks good to me, We are going to Fairbanks and then in your neck of the woods about end of June first of July and will probably be staying on one of the bases at the FamCamp.

Hopefully we can meet up.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #78
Trailer crazy

Vintage Kin Owner
Topanga , California
I rode my motorcycle on top of the road end of summer 2013. It was a much nicer road than the Alaskan highway which was under construction when we returned. That said the road construction on the Alaskan Highway may be complete by 2014. I would second taking the Cassiar great road. You will still need to go through the Top of the World or the Alaskan Highway to make it to Alaska. Cris
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:08 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
If you guys have an Iphone? Need to down load ALLSTAYS app. Don't leave town with out it
Julie-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
1981 28' Airstream 280
Olympia , Washington
After all this planning, we finally left home, Olympia, WA on Wed. First night at Hope BC, then onto Sheridan Lake where we will stay for about a week with other Airstreamer friends then we will be heading up the road. Will try to keep everyone posted. check out my blog/journal, address below.