Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2021, 12:19 AM   #1
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
Seattle Eastward next week

Not sure where to get my questions answered, so sorry if this doesn't work on the Airstream forum.

Bought a 62 Lincoln Continental convertible at auction. Car is located in Seattle, difficult to find a reputable car hauler to deliver to Charlotte, NC. Have decided to fly out & drive it home. The car has been checked & determined to be fit for the trip (less than 500 miles/year), so it's still virgin. I'll have a toolkit just in case.

I'd love to get perspectives on what route(s) would be recommended. I'm somewhat concerned given the Northwest's heat & potential for wildfires. I'll be doing this solo & at this point not sure how leisurely the trip will be.

Suggestions/questions are welcome.
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sounds like fun!

Does the Lincoln have air conditioning? Stock up on extra cooling hoses of all kinds, jugs of water, and antifreeze IMO.

The weather is the primary wild card here. No way to avoid the heat, unless you are able to enter Canada under some sort of detour of the Covid-related border restrictions. The broad-brush plan, here, would be Interstate 80 until east of "Ol' Miss" . . .

Good luck

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS -- Lincoln tow vehicles:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Linc...=airforums.com

Great photos all over IMO!

Tow vehicles sub-forum: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/

Happy trails,

Peter

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...tml#post275152

Old 07-17-2021, 06:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Hoses on older vehicles can dry out and crack over time. Check the condition of your coolant hoses. Replace any that are questionable before you leave.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:07 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

How old are the tires? If they have been on there for a while, I'd get them swapped out.

How do you feel about driving an incredibly cool 1962 vehicle at > 80 MPH? I'm not sure I'd want to do that on a vehicle I had not gone over myself or had gone over by a mechanic I knew and trusted. If that's not a worry then I-90 through the mountains is an option.

Another option would be to pick up a car hauling trailer and tow it back on that. For some odd reason there's a guy down by the fairgrounds with a whole bunch of them in stock .... go figure ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:32 AM   #6
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
How old are the tires? If they have been on there for a while, I'd get them swapped out.
...driving an incredibly cool 1962 vehicle at > 80 MPH? I'm not sure I'd want to do that on a vehicle I had not gone over myself or had gone over by a mechanic I knew and trusted. Bob
I'll be talking to the long-time care-taker of the car - have 35 years of maintenance records to peruse if needed. Tires will be replaced since they're that old.

I'll be swapping out the radiator hoses as well as the heater hoses. May actually swap out the rubber brake lines as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LR to Frt.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	399688  
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:23 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Otis Orchards , Washington
Route

I-90 is a pretty good bet. Takes you through Snoqualmie Pass, the irrigated farm lands of the COLUMBIA basin. The other side of SPOKANE you will start hitting some of the Rocky Mountain chains.
Wstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

vashon , Washington
We drove to Yellowstone in May. We went north through Spokane came back the southern route. Highly recommend the northern route - fires could be in either area. Northern was far more picturesque. For what it's worth!
GracieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:50 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Here and There , Pacific Northwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wstewart View Post
I-90 is a pretty good bet. Takes you through Snoqualmie Pass, the irrigated farm lands of the COLUMBIA basin. The other side of SPOKANE you will start hitting some of the Rocky Mountain chains.
Agree with the I-90 suggestion and that route has a few less trucks. August can have some heat, especially east of the mountains. September it's beautiful.

Another idea - I live in the area and could pickup the vehicle and use it for you
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:57 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

vashon , Washington
Just looked at the full map I've been all over the US in the summer... I'd stay north for as long as you can and I'd rent a car hauler. Why burden that beautiful old thing with wear and tear?
GracieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
We just drove a similar route from Cape Disappointment WA to Louisville GA with the AS in tow a month ago. Given your situation, I’d ask Google maps how to go and check to verify it’s keeping you on major routes in case of breakdowns. AAA coverage in advance is cheap insurance IMO. As for weather, if you see high heat or a derecho or something I’d wait until I knew the issue to replan. A different route, drive at night, whatever depending on how you feel about the threat and the options available to respond.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
I'll be talking to the long-time care-taker of the car - have 35 years of maintenance records to peruse if needed. Tires will be replaced since they're that old.

I'll be swapping out the radiator hoses as well as the heater hoses. May actually swap out the rubber brake lines as well.
Thanks for the update and photo. We had a similar vintage Lincoln in the family back in the early 60's. Remember that weird hardtop with the back-angled rear window, which included an electric slide-down window? Yup . . . one of those models in shiny black!

I seem to recall that this one had air conditioning. Does yours? Any rubber hoses/seals/grommets/etc. would be suspect at this point in time IMO.

By the way, you do know that posting photos of this trip are required as a condition of your membership continuing, right? [*]

Have fun!

Peter[*] -- a joke of course.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:36 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Continental TOW

On the assumption “whimpy” will be towing his 1989 AS 345 behind his recently purchased 1962 Continental, let me say I’m traveling in an Airstream today because my great uncle and his wife traveled with a late 1950s Airstream towed behind an always-new Caddie.

Favorite memory—Dad and I were on a Sierras fishing trip (1957-ish), cutting across one of the Sierras gorgeous passes looking for 395—the highway, not the model. We hit 395 and turned south. Fairly soon we sped past a Caddie-Airstream rig cruising north. Dad abruptly pulled to the shoulder and took on a pensive look. “What’s the matter?” I asked.

“That Caddie,” he answered. That might be Harlin with his Airstream.”
As an 11-year-old just beginning fly fisherman and not yet acclimatized to pre-sunrise fishing forays, this was coming a little fast. Uncle Harlin and Aunt Martha, sure, and sure, my great uncle owned a fancy wood-paneled Airstream, but suddenly whiz-bang, he’s driving north on highway 395 in this early morning chill and there’s a brand new “Caddie” doing the towing . . .

Dad flipped us around and we raced back north. Not 15 minutes later we came upon a shouldered Caddie-Airstream rig idling there just in case that black MG-TD whistling south had been John Sherman, Harlin’s nephew, my Dad—teasing trout out of chilly eastern Sierra streams as the two of them had done together in the past.

Two beaming faces greeted us, Aunt and Uncle, off to Glacier National Park, avoiding traffic with their accustomed Early Start getaway. We wished each other well as the senior couple pulled back on the road, Dad and me staring after a now sun-drenched Airstream.
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great family memories . . . thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Roberta View Post
On the assumption “whimpy” will be towing his 1989 AS 345 behind his recently purchased 1962 Continental . . .
. . .
Isn't wimpy's AS 345 a "Classic Motorhome" RV about 34' long?

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f31...ns-210929.html

Also "wimpy" has no "h" in it.

Peter

Old 07-17-2021, 11:59 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
SEATTLE , WA
We are camping in the Northern Cascades a couple hours east of Seattle this morning. It's cool and beautiful here - yesterday morning in Seattle I was even wearing a sweater!

You can see real time wildfire smoke levels at https://www2.purpleair.com/. You might want to check that right before departing Seattle.

If you still have COVID masks they do help with wildfire smoke. Being in a convertible in the smoke might be a little tough at times but sounds like an epic road trip - I envy you!
bcheever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:53 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palm coast , Florida
430 w dual range

Take 3 sets of points (and change them yourself before you go so you know how to change them !

Tires and cooling hoses - especially heater hoses

Make sure the fuel pump has been rebuilt or replaced- and a fuel filter

Not sure if the 62 has that power steering pump on the front of the crankshaft. That big front seals donut behind it can go on a long trip. Check it or bring one maybe

You have NO room for luggage with the roof down ! Pack accordingly

Have fun and don’t get sunburnt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4637F555-D46F-4242-B6FC-D8350BEC3D59.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	399718  
2015 25 FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:54 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palm coast , Florida
Sorry bout the upside down pic
2015 25 FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 02:43 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
I-90 (Seattle - Billings - Sioux Falls) then south on I-29 to I-80 (Omaha) to I-70 (Davenport) to Dayton, Ohio then onto US-35! I've not done the last leg but the other is a nice drive, albeit Interstate.
My second choice would be down I5 to Portland and east on I-84 to Salt Lake then east on I80 to Omaha and then join I-70. Done most of it a half-dozen times and it is ok but a tad longer and perhaps a bit more boring.
I would watch the wildfire reports for Oregon, Washington, Montana, and elsewhere - there could be complications along the way.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:28 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
In addition to some of the aforementioned concerns a lot of accessories on those old Lincolns are vacuum operated and vacuum hoses can be problematic (when they come loose or leak).
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:03 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
Wow, what a gorgeous car and fantastic road trip.

Another option would be Hwy 2 from Seattle all the way to the Mackinaw Bridge in Upper Michigan. From there, you can find your own way.

Hwy 2 is a northern route that will wind you through lots of "small town America" (or is it pronounce "Merica") at a slower pace than I-90. The slower speeds might be easier on the beautiful old girl.

The downside is that if you break down, you might be in the middle of nowhere and hard to get parts.