Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Scouting the Central Oregon Coast

Driving the scenic route today from Portland to Eugene, driving along the 101 and Pacific Coast (Lincoln City to Florence) - scouting the area for future AS travels. It is a beautiful area with lots of scenic attractions, certainly one worthy of a future visit - possibly as early as next year.

Any pointers, do’s and don’t, for this area? We stopped and peaked at a couple of campgrounds, some of which would be a challenge for a larger (27’ +) trailer.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you don’t want to publicly share your favorite fishing hole or other secret treasure.

Thanks in advance.

Regards - Ron

Name:   IMG_1792.JPG
Views: 957
Size:  107.0 KB
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
There have been a few recent threads about this gorgeous stretch of coast, so -- in addition to the posts to follow -- you might want to check out these search results and threads:

https://www.google.com/search?q=oreg...=airforums.com

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ip-147177.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ns-139219.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...st-158193.html

Have a great time!

Peter

PS -- There are some active members here from that area, so hopefully they will cruize by and offer some insights.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Thanks, Peter.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:39 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Don't try to stay close to Portland on a weekend.

Cannon Beach RV Park is a treasure. Real family park without the hype of a destination park.

We had Camp Blanco recommended. Worth checking out.

At Riverside Edge RV Park at Brookings is a hidden winner. Significant down grade to enter, but worth the use of brakes.

Good luck with your investigation. This area needs a plan. Otherwise you just drive on by.

Hope your research goes well. We look forward to your sucesses. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:38 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
We are a bit biased...and think the Oregon State Parks are great. For the central Oregon coast I would highly recommend South Beach SP (Newport), Carl Washburne (between Yachats and Florence) and Jessie Honeyman (south of Florence).
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:55 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
The Oregon State Parks along the coast are incredible. North of Newport tends to stay a little busier and it's probably not a bad idea to check out reservations. Although two years ago I did the entire coast from Portland to N. California in late June without any reservations and no problems.

Cape Blanco State Park is one of my favorite places. It has a very nice campground, first come first serve. Hot showers and beach access. And a pretty cool light house that is open to the public. I have stayed there several times, I keep going back.

Regardless of where you stay, the entire coast is absolutely beautiful and you will have a great time.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Jackpot - thanks folks for sharing these insights and recommendations! This gives me an excellent starting point for trip planning.

Regards - Ron
Old 10-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
We stayed at Beverly Beach State Park last May for a week. Beautiful park, nice campground and shouldn't be a problem for a 27' AS (ours is 25'). Make reservations in advance wherever you decide to stay. All of these campgrounds are in high demand especially during the summer vacation months.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
We’ve stayed at both Cape Lookout and Cape Blanco several times and recommend them highly. Watch out for the road into Cape Lookout from the south. There are a few big dips in an otherwise smooth road that caught us off guard on out way in and sent a few interior items flying. There are also many wayside spots where you can stay alongside hwy 101 - we haven’t tried that yet but are looking forward to in the future.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
There have been a few recent threads about this gorgeous stretch of coast, so -- in addition to the posts to follow -- you might want to check out these search results and threads:

https://www.google.com/search?q=oreg...=airforums.com

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ip-147177.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ns-139219.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...st-158193.html

Have a great time!

Peter

PS -- There are some active members here from that area, so hopefully they will cruize by and offer some insights.
Earth to Bob (Cruizindux) [...they will cruize by ]

Great links Peter. I would suggest checking ahead as some places like our favorite, Beachside SP in Waldport close in the winter I presume since it's essentially only a few ft above sea level and likely washes somewhat in the winter.

Some SP's are huge like Washburne (no resise here only FCFS) and some are small like Beachside, so call ahead or check reserveamerica.com. You can't reserve online the day of but can at least see availability.

One piece of advice is to not over look county parks, often with ele/h2o hookups/showers. Lane county has a park in Florence called Harbor Vista. I've lived & camped here for 13 years and only recently discovered it. Not in your area but Sisters also has a great city park in the heart of town. Same for John Day. Apparently fairly common and often overlooked.

Happy Trails

bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
Keep in mind, 101 is a parking lot in the summer, especially in all those 'cute' little coast towns.
Never stayed at a resort, kinda defeats the idea of leaving home in the first place. And getting reservations sounds too much like an itinerary.
There are lots of out of the way camps, dumps, uncrowded if you want to look. Much more of an adventure.
Not to be a Debbie Downer but there's talk of a magnitude-9 from the cascdia subduction-zone rupture long overdue up here with some 30,000 landslides to complement the tsunami. So, plan your visit!
openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by openroad118 View Post
Keep in mind, 101 is a parking lot in the summer, especially in all those 'cute' little coast towns.

Never stayed at a resort, kinda defeats the idea of leaving home in the first place. And getting reservations sounds too much like an itinerary.

There are lots of out of the way camps, dumps, uncrowded if you want to look. Much more of an adventure.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but there's talk of a magnitude-9 from the cascdia subduction-zone rupture long overdue up here with some 30,000 landslides to complement the tsunami. So, plan your visit!

I hear you OpenRoad... wall-to-wall people back home in Utah at my fishing holes, neglected National Parks, dangerous politicos, bizarre laws, dead trees and forest fires everywhere, the Wasatch Fault, and the specter of Yellowstone blowing soon and obliterating it all... perhaps why I’m looking elsewhere. In all seriousness, I may try a shoulder month, slightly off the peak season but nothing definitive planned yet.

Regards - Ron
Old 10-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
We prefer the State Parks, well maintained, sites are well laid out and usually have foliage between sites. Harris Beach at Gold Beach near the border is one of our favorites, as well as Bullards Beach at Bandon; both have walking access to the beach. The one place we use a commercial park is Cannon Beach RV Resort which is near downtown and owned by the city of Cannon Beach and there are no State Parks nearby. Do make advance reservations if you plan on staying more than one night at a time.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Keene , Ontario
You don’t want to miss Cape Arago and the thousands of seals and sea lions.
It’s near Coos Bay.
TheGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:25 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
Tillicum Beach State Park

Just south of Alsea, right on the beach, .lovely and either in the trees or out in the open. We always get reservations since this is so popular.
Stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Man View Post
I hear you OpenRoad... wall-to-wall people back home in Utah at my fishing holes, neglected National Parks, dangerous politicos, bizarre laws, dead trees and forest fires everywhere, the Wasatch Fault, and the specter of Yellowstone blowing soon and obliterating it all... perhaps why I’m looking elsewhere. In all seriousness, I may try a shoulder month, slightly off the peak season but nothing definitive planned yet.

Regards - Ron
shoulder month in Or and likely most places is when school is in season. Plan for after labor day for the OR coast. As you can see since you're on 101 heading for Flo, there are folks year round.

b
Old 10-28-2017, 06:57 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stanwood , Washington
Central Oregon Coast

Oregon State Parks are super, be sure and visit Old Town Florence!
dfschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Earth to Bob (Cruizindux) [...they will cruize by ]
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormalong View Post
Just south of Alsea, right on the beach, .lovely and either in the trees or out in the open. We always get reservations since this is so popular.
Stormalong, to clarify...Beachside is the SP which is small and hard to get into for TT's wanting hookups ] and Tillucum Beach Campground is national forest (not SP) and maybe < a mile to the S. It has a few hookups but more so for dry camping. Same beach front from Waldport to (almost) Yachats. I've stayed at BS since 82 but am rethinking Tillicum as resies for BS need to so far out.

Bob
Old 10-30-2017, 04:27 AM   #20

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by openroad118 View Post
That is what shocks and springs are for, the 9.0. The tsunami and landslides, hmmmm, park on flat land inland and keep the TV hitched.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote