Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Santa Nella RV Park

Hi
Anyone ever stay at the Santa Nella RV Park?
We're going to Toscano RV next weekend to have our Hensley Arrow installed.
The park is only 15 minutes away from Los Banos. We plan to go Sat the 19th, stay Sun and then on Monday have the hitch installed. Creating an excuse to go camping!
Any other park suggestions close by?
Thanks
Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Not very inspirational..

Santa Nella is kind of like a truck stop, except with Anderson's Pea Soup restaurant.. It is convenient at 1 exit north on I-5, but not very scenic..

Three other options:
1. San Luis RV park is 1 exit west on Hwy 152 (where 33 (?) meets 152 from Santa Nella.. Favored by local Wally Club, it is cheaper and at least has green lawn in area.
2. San Luis Dam and Resrvoir has campground and recreation area, I think operated by Corps of Engineers.. Try Google for San Luis Dam and Recreation areas.. It's another 5 minutes away, but you'd be camped along water in forebay below dam, with fishing adjacent.. May have limited hookups..
3. Why not stay at one of new Toscano's camp sites at new expanded location on east side of Los Banos.. I think they have at least 5 or 6 overnight pads with at least water and electric plus a dump station, and cost should be free...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Doesn't Santa Nella get pretty smelly from the feed lot - or am I confused...again?
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Mill Valley , California
Thanks Condoluminum
I'll check the two out. Ron at Toscano offered a slot but we have the two kids and want to take a mini camping trip! I don't think Toscano would allow two kids on bikes riding between their rvs.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Doesn't Santa Nella get pretty smelly from the feed lot - or am I confused...again?
You are thinking of Harris Ranch farther south near Coalinga.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot

Bill
Must be the alzheimers....
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
We have often used the San Luis Dam Reservoir at the forebay for a quick camp stop... It really is boondocking, no toilets or hookups. In the summer they often have big water tanks you can fill your water supply with, but I am not sure I have been "comfortable" using that water... But, the scenery isn't bad and the price is something like $5 a night... there is also a campground on the north/west end of the forebay... might be more developed.

If you want to stay a little ways away there is Hatfield State Park along a river, about 35 minutes or so away... it is quiet and pleasant. I would be sure if you haven't been there you map it to be sure how to find it!

This time of year down I-5 or 99 towards Los Banos can have awful zero visibility fog. Hope for rain.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
The smell of money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot

Bill
The Coalinga locals call that the smell of money! (used to live there! ) The one thing about Harris Ranch ~ you can camp for free in their parking lot with your trailer, they have great steaks, and they have free wifi you can use from the hotel! Just hope the wind is blowing from the south to the north!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
The San Luis Dam has a very intereresting visitors center and kid-friendly exhibits and info. Might be a place to spend some time while you're waiting for Toscano to do their thing.
You might also consider watching some wind-surfing at O'Niells Forbay. Lots of fun but also--a bit windy!
We often stop at a dump station at a Santa Nella truck stop on our way home from trips to state park campgrounds in the Sierras. It's very convenient, but I sure wouldn't want to spend any time there--especially with children. It's a giant truck-stop.
Hope you find something comfy for your family!
Let us know how it goes.
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
The Coalinga locals call that the smell of money! (used to live there! ) The one thing about Harris Ranch ~ you can camp for free in their parking lot with your trailer, they have great steaks, and they have free wifi you can use from the hotel! Just hope the wind is blowing from the south to the north!

So true, when the wind is blowing from the east the aroma goes all the way to Coalinga. Our oldest daughter worked at West Hills CC for two years.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Mill Valley , California
Has anyone stayed at the San Luis RV Resort at 28485 Gonzaga Rd, Santa Nella? They have 100+ sites, all full hookups, 27.00/night but no website!
The one picture on their "homepage" looks ok and it says "under new management" but I can't get a hold of anyone on the phone. The message on the phone says "no reservations required" . I don't want to get there and end up not having a place to stay.
Thanks
Dennis
Old 01-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Not sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
Has anyone stayed at the San Luis RV Resort at 28485 Gonzaga Rd, Santa Nella? They have 100+ sites, all full hookups, 27.00/night but no website! Thanks Dennis
Dennis,

I did a search for the RV resort on google maps and went to the satellite view... If it is the place I think it is ~ it is a old KOA that was bought by another local company. There are two different RV places I know of, one is just off of Hwy 152 close to the O'Neil forebay (this one looks like that...) and the other is closer to Santa Nella... actually used to be a regular mobil home park in the 60's when they were building the dam and folks actually lived there.

We have stayed up the road at Casa de Fruta (about 15 miles... west) and it is much nicer than what you will likely find in Santa Nella. I don't think you will have any trouble this time of year finding a space there... it isn't a highly desirable vacation spot... Some of the campgrounds get pretty full during lettuce season with migrant workers in the area, but even then one can often find a spot somewhere.

I would say if you can arrive in the area kind of "early" in the day and drive around and check out what things look like so if you have to drive a little extra you won't feel pressured. Just watch out for fog.

You might also check to see if anyone has courtesy parking in the area thru WBCCI or the forum... it might be closer to your repairs?!

Atwater isn't too far away, and they have a nice air museum at Castle (former airforce base) if you are into vintage aircraft... our son used to like it a lot. About 30 miles is the Hilmar Cheese factory and it is a fun place to go, but if it is foggy, I would stay close. If you have little kids, then Casa de Fruta is good... except in the winter many of their attractions are closed. There is also a National Cemetery right in the area if you want your kids to have that experience.

If you want to go out to eat, I recommend Andersen's Split Pea... otherwise your bill of fare will be Denny's or Taco Bell... or some other fast food.

Good luck!

Old 01-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Dennis,

If you are going out for the weekend, then going to get your hitch installed on Monday... you might consider the Pinnacles National Monument (East side!) It has great hiking, very interesting geological site. It is right on the San Andreas fault line... There are two sides, one off of Hwy 101 and the other is south of Hollister. If your kids are bigger and like to hike or rock climb this is a great camp spot. No hookups, (maybe water...) but we used to love to camp there. This is a good time of year as the snakes aren't usually out... do a google search for Pinnacles National Monument under images and you might find some ideas. It would be about 1 1/2 hours from Santa Nella.

San Juan Bautista is also interesting, they have one of the California Missions and have a nice square with lots of historical information and things to do. I think there is camping kind of nearby, but haven't camped there. It is about 50 miles from Santa Nella.

There is also Mt. Madonna County Park just out of Gilroy... it is a great park and very interesting. I think they have a website... you might look. It would be about an hour and a half from Santa Nella.

What kind of camping does your family like, and ages of your kids? There are other areas that have fishing and that kind of stuff...

Old 01-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
We did have RV rally at the campground about 32 miles north of Santa Nella. It was clean, had nice clubhouse and WI-FI if you parked close to the office.
There is no other activity there, than the campground company. Don't think I would ever go there with single rig.
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
if you have kids then stay at casa de fruita resort. lots of stuff to do with kids including petting zoo, train, big playground, pool, etc. i stay there when i go to toscano for service. if you go, the nicest sites are down by the river. its camping in a secluded orchard. the river sites only have water/electric hookups but its so nice and peaceful. camping on grass is a luxury.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	492.8 KB
ID:	52428   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	456.0 KB
ID:	52429  

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.