Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2021, 10:11 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
I have driven that section more times than I can count and I wouldn't do it. Take the above suggested route 87, Beeline Highway, to the Holbrook turnoff. This will get you to I 40 and a straight shot to ABQ. driven this route many times towing the trailer and it is much less stressful on you and your vehicle.
Canyon
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:57 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Albertville , Minnesota
The Salt River Canyon is very good road, just be sure your brakes are working well..
We have taken that route a few times with our 27FB, no worries. It's nice to have an exhaust brake if your TV is Diesel.
Dkoelfgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:01 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Albertville , Minnesota
We took 36 at Quemado North of 60 a month ago. NM 36 north out of Quemado leaves lots to be desired but when you getup by the Lava Beds (NM117) the road is great.
Dkoelfgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:18 AM   #24

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaryno View Post
Would you recommend not taking a 31' Sovereign through Salt River Canyon? I-10 and I-25 between Tucson, AZ, and Albuquerque, NM, are regrettable but there aren't really any other non-Interstate alternatives. I know the road fairly well and the roads on both sides are parts of favorite drives around but I've not done it with a trailer and honestly never paid attention to the canyon from the standpoint of towing. Curious about others' thoughts and what your experiences have been.
Drove it 2 weekends ago with a 27ft Flying Cloud. No problem what so ever. Go for it.
VinceArenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:52 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Girdwood , Alaska
Salt river

Quote:
Would you recommend not taking a 31' Sovereign through Salt River Canyon? I-10 and I-25 between Tucson, AZ, and Albuquerque, NM, are regrettable but there aren't really any other non-Interstate alternatives. I know the road fairly well and the roads on both sides are parts of favorite drives around but I've not done it with a trailer and honestly never paid attention to the canyon from the standpoint of towing. Curious about others' thoughts and what your experiences have been.
Itís a good road with a couple steep sections dropping into the salt river canyon, with tight hairpins; as long as your tow vehicle and trailer has good brakes and you keep your speed under control on the downhill sections it should be fine.
Johnhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:15 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
YES!!!
Granted I live in Colorado and am used to driving in the mountains.
I just came through there a few weeks ago the beginning of April with at 25 foot Flying Cloud with a Toyota Tundra pulling. It was wonderful. My mother in law was freaking out that we were going to try it but I think she was mistaking it with a different road. From south to north there are 3 switchbacks on the way down. But they are wide enough to make the swing without a problem. Not a big deal. Plenty of room. There are plenty of semis on that road. If they can do it, you can do it. They are longer than you are. Just take it slow, race your own race, and have a wonderful time. If you are heading south to north there are a number of great pull offs on the climb up after your cross the bridge over the river. Nice and wide and easy to get in and out of. We had fun getting out and taking some pictures. And there are a few pull offs on the way down also though we did not use them. I would not hesitate in the least to travel that route. We were headed from Tucson and spent the night in Show Low. Was a nice easy day. I wholeheartedly recommend it. At the Bridge there used to be a Native American store. That no longer exists.
Do it!!!
djabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:10 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
When the NM Governor closed State Parks to camping with no notice, we were at Picacho Peak in AZ and had reservations for Caballo Riverside in New Mexcio which suddenly were no good. We have a Tundra with a 22 foot Safari (2004). We were going to winterize at Caballo before making the 3 hour trip back to Albuquerque. We ended up getting a night at Fool's Hollow Lake SP in Show Low. The only logical route was up Tangerine Road to Catalina SP and left through the Salt River Canyon.

If you have a diesel and good brakes, I wouldn't hesitate to go that route.
My Tundra had plenty of tow power for the 5000 lb trailer. Turns were wide enough not to cause a problem, but I have to admit to taking more than my share going up (fortunately no traffic was coming down). My wife said it was beautiful, but I didn't see much scenery. l lived in Colorado for three years, but didn't tow trailers back then. With brakes and power you won't have too much trouble. Maybe you have already made a decision and this is old news... I didn't notice you posting date. Let us know if it is history and how you did!

thanks for the reply. iíve driven it so many times on my life but never with a thought of towing. the trip iím planning is in July and using this stretch to calibrate on something i know against the experiences of seasoned folks. iíd much rather drive through the scenic central and eastern AZ than grind along the interstate at 62. should have some scenic clouds and interesting weather then as well... iíve got a 2013 Tundra 5.6L and a tekonsha p3 brake controller. feeling like we should be good. the power is definitely there based on my first few towing experiences.
aaryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:42 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
thanks for the reply. iíve driven it so many times on my life but never with a thought of towing. the trip iím planning is in July and using this stretch to calibrate on something i know against the experiences of seasoned folks. iíd much rather drive through the scenic central and eastern AZ than grind along the interstate at 62. should have some scenic clouds and interesting weather then as well... iíve got a 2013 Tundra 5.6L and a tekonsha p3 brake controller. feeling like we should be good. the power is definitely there based on my first few towing experiences.

I have a 2014 Tundra and Tekonsha P3 controller. I used the engine as a brake on the way down with the manual shift feature because I heard a lot of criticism of the size of the Tundra brakes. I didn't stop once I entered the canyon, but if the greater weight of the larger trailer stresses the brakes, you can always stop at the pullouts and let things cool off. I had the "tow/haul" button engaged.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:47 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
aaryno, did you go yet? I was up in Camp Verde over the weekend and then went down to Apache Junction and up to Globe and into the San Carlos Reservation, I see the road from Globe to Showlow was closed due to the fire.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:42 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
aaryno, did you go yet? I was up in Camp Verde over the weekend and then went down to Apache Junction and up to Globe and into the San Carlos Reservation, I see the road from Globe to Showlow was closed due to the fire.

our trip is in late July. hopefully monsoon will actually come north to Arizona this year.
aaryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:26 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Mesa , Arizona
ITSNO60, We drove between Globe and Showlow round trip yesterday, May 11 and the road is wide open. Signs of the recent fire activity and still several dozen fire fighters watching for hot spots, but no traffic restrictions. Probably encountered less than 100 cars and semi trucks on the entire trip. Scenery is amazing and very little traffic.
kdfulsome54 is offline   Reply With Quote