Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2019, 05:51 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Am occasionally asked if I'm scared to sleep in the AS alone. My stock answer: If someone's going to get me, I'm not waiting up for them.
Good one, FaN.

I get that a lot, too, along with aren’t I afraid to travel alone.

My standard response is “have you met my dog?”

Maggie
Old 12-22-2019, 08:31 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Towing Solo

I will be towing solo, a 74-yr old female, and my equalizer is an 80-lb male Doberman. "He's friendly as long as you're friendly," is what I tell inquirers. I think I will be OK.
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:40 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Safety Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
I will be towing solo, a 74-yr old female, and my equalizer is an 80-lb male Doberman. "He's friendly as long as you're friendly," is what I tell inquirers. I think I will be OK. [emoji57]

Looks like you just need to add the cartoon “Dobie-o-matic gun” launch system as proposed by Gary Larson. Google for it.

You’ll be more than ok. Add the muddy size 12 work boots on the steps when parked, and I guarantee a peaceful night. Me, the NRA Life Member sticker by the door is my deterrent signal.

I have 4 little ones, but if they take a dislike to some stranger, I can’t shut them up, and I will take a cue from them. I can “reach out and touch” whoever tries to ignore the dogs.

It’s amazing how sensitive they are to suspicious activities and how fast I wake up when they alert. Synergy between dogs and humans is millennia old.

Mine all added together don’t even weigh that much, but they are all armed with teeth and will tear all enemy ankles up thoroughly in a pinch.

Nothing like a faithful dog or two or more...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:11 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Nothing like a faithful dog or two or more...
Some dogs are protective, some are not. But I never had a small protective dog that didn't think he/she was an 80lb. doberman. There was never hint of backing down due to size.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:03 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The worst bites I’ve ever gotten were from small dogs. They don’t seem to back off or just intimidate.

They are too small to use their size to get their way, so the teeth get used quickly in any hostile confrontation. A big dog will try to use size and sound to prevail in an argument first.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:41 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
I've had Dobies for 45+ yrs, usually 3 at a time, and they have never had to do more than raise hackles and growl softly to intimidate completely. A Dobie on full alert is an alarming sight. I can no longer manage 3, but no more than one will fit in my Caravel anyway!

I love that Far Side cartoon, I have a copy and I may just tape one on the window by the door of my A/S. Have you seen the Far Side cartoon of the guy asleep on his porch next to a sign "Ben and Vera's Rottweiler Farm" with a guy descending into a pen of many alert Rotties via a parachute, carrying a briefcase and eyes bugging out, the caption reads "The untold ending of D. B. Cooper?" (Hope you remember who D B Cooper is...)

And the size 12 muddy boots is an excellent idea, too. I really like that. Excellent deterrents all.

Thanks for all these excellent suggestions!
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote