Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Safe towing speed

I have heard that 65 mph is the highest speed safe for towing our baby. However, the tires are rated for much higher speed and the TV is very capable. Can 70-75 mph on level interstate pushing our limits? I seem to be passed by just about everything being towed.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:59 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I usually tow at around 65 mph, but I very often ease up to 75 when passing or on a long gentle downgrade.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont
I seem to be passed by just about everything being towed.
I had to smile when I read this because the "legal" speed for anything towing any kind of trailer in CA is 55 mph. The last time we were in CA with our Bambi (in June)...I think we were the only ones on the road that paid any sort of attention to the posted speed limit...we were passed by everything from small trailers like ours to 40' SOB toyboxes... It was actually sorta scary to see those big ol' things fly by us (and coming toward us)...knowing that the drivers really wouldn't have much control over their rig if they needed to change lanes quickly, swerve to avoid something in the road...or heaven forbid...STOP quickly....and they were right on top of each other, too. No mercy.

Even though we can certainly go faster, we tend to hang in there around 55-65 mph for the most part...get better milage and it's easier on the truck...and, more importantly, I feel like we have better control of both the truck and the trailer. We'll get there in OK time and it's much less stressful. Just my thoughts.

Happy Trails!
TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Smile Hi All,

In my little mind it is not how fast I am moving it is how long will it take to stop safely. With the trailer and truck I am at 10,000 lb. I know that in California the biggest joke is 55 mph.In Arizona it is 75 for all. But towing a triler my speed is about 60 to 65 on open road. I get around 13 mpg then.
Regards to all Russeiil in hot Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:14 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Sometimes going too slowly on the interstate can be scarrier than going going the speed limit.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:19 PM   #6
_

. , .
a frequent question with it's very own poll...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...-tow-2946.html

although the mention of the tire speed rating is a whole 'nother issue...

and what tires (tv or trailer) are 'rated for much higher speed' ?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I think 60 to 65 MPH is just about right; Any faster means longer stopping distance, worse fuel mileage, and higher chance of problems. [tires, tickets, and accidents] I'm practiceing for my retirement; Why be in such a hurry? I spent my entire, Southern California, life in a hurry and now I want to slow down and enjoy the scenery. If Joe Kenworth or Mustang Sally wants to go faster than me, go for it, I don't care.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We try to keep it at 60, although it creeps a bit higher on those long downhill grades. One thing to look at is the speed rating and recommendations of the trailer tires - I think mine are 65 mph max. Also, the physics of the whole thig are amazing and scary - things happen so much faster at 75 than they do at 60. Slower tow speeds allow you a little more reaction time than faster ones.
Besides, you can see a hwole lot more of the country at 60 than 75. Enjoy!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:13 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
What he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
although the mention of the tire speed rating is a whole 'nother issue...

and what tires (tv or trailer) are 'rated for much higher speed' ?

cheers
2air'
ST tires (trailer) are speed rated at 65 mph, and LT tires (truck) are speed rated at 75 mph. Unless someone has replaced your ST tires on your trailer with racing tires, 65 is it.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
A significant number of members are reporting early failure with OEM Marathons in hot southwest conditions. Search on Marathons desert and you'll get the idea. Excess speed and heat can't be a good combination.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:00 AM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
have a look at your tires. all of them. for thier speed rating. Trailer tires are usually rated to 65. Going over it could result in tire failure. Your call. I go no faster than 65 when towing. I don't care how far I have to go.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Just because your tires/TV are rated for higher speeds doesn't mean you should go that fast. Towing is a very imprecise science, and involves lots of factors including those you have influence over (tongue weight, speed, style of driving, etc.) and those you have no influence over (road conditions, idiot drivers, a blowout, etc.). I would suggest 60-65 is the highest you should tow at, since you have to be able to react safely should something happen. We have found our trip is actualy easier at a slightly slower speed, since we can stay in our lane at a steady speed while others go around us. A lot less work!

I have seen many trailer setups flying down the road, often with trailers wagging, an unbalanced load, or other problems. I have seen some of them later upside down in the ditch. Even with a proper load and tow hookup, you can still have issues. A friend was towing his racecar to an autocross event with a Jeep Cherokee and about halfway into his 300-mile trip his trailer started whipping and immdiately flicked them into the median, fortunately upright. He still never has figured out exactly what happened, but he was towing at 70 and 75.

And what happens when you're tired, later in the day, the sun is low and in your eyes and the car you're following suddenly whips onto the shoulder to avoid the huge tire lying in your lane? Your reflexes will kick in and you will make an abrupt movement to avoid the threat. Too fast, and you're tumbling off into the ditch. A slower speed may save your life, or at least your trailer and tow rig. Did everyone watch the slalom video on a recent thread, where they compared the AS trailer with an SOB going through a slalom course? Fix the image of the SOB trailer rocking and almost flipping over firmly in your mind. And that was controlled driving. The AS was better, yes, but it was also not loaded the way we all load our trailers, it was the optimum hook-up, and I believe it was at a slower speed.

PLEASE be aware that safe driving practices not only affect your safety, but the safety of those around you. With the rolling load on our rigs, we can do lot of damage and kill people if something goes wrong.

Getting off the soapbox now...

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:49 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
have a look at your tires. all of them. for thier speed rating. Trailer tires are usually rated to 65. Going over it could result in tire failure. Your call. I go no faster than 65 when towing. I don't care how far I have to go.
I went down to my local Americas Tires Company and they said that trailer tires (ST's) were good up to 118 mph! I have been reading on the forums that these tires are only good to 65, so who is right? I truely can't imagine anybody manufacturing a tire that is only good for 65 unless they were to be used on golf carts. Just going downhill gets us up to 70 easily.

I will continue to drive the safest speed for the traffic, conditions, and the road surface (usually 65-70). I have been on some freesways that SHOULD be posted at 50 but let's not get talking about US road conditions.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
Just because your tires/TV are rated for higher speeds doesn't mean you should go that fast. Towing is a very imprecise science, and involves lots of factors including those you have influence over (tongue weight, speed, style of driving, etc.) and those you have no influence over (road conditions, idiot drivers, a blowout, etc.). I would suggest 60-65 is the highest you should tow at, since you have to be able to react safely should something happen. We have found our trip is actualy easier at a slightly slower speed, since we can stay in our lane at a steady speed while others go around us. A lot less work!

I have seen many trailer setups flying down the road, often with trailers wagging, an unbalanced load, or other problems. I have seen some of them later upside down in the ditch. Even with a proper load and tow hookup, you can still have issues. A friend was towing his racecar to an autocross event with a Jeep Cherokee and about halfway into his 300-mile trip his trailer started whipping and immdiately flicked them into the median, fortunately upright. He still never has figured out exactly what happened, but he was towing at 70 and 75.

And what happens when you're tired, later in the day, the sun is low and in your eyes and the car you're following suddenly whips onto the shoulder to avoid the huge tire lying in your lane? Your reflexes will kick in and you will make an abrupt movement to avoid the threat. Too fast, and you're tumbling off into the ditch. A slower speed may save your life, or at least your trailer and tow rig. Did everyone watch the slalom video on a recent thread, where they compared the AS trailer with an SOB going through a slalom course? Fix the image of the SOB trailer rocking and almost flipping over firmly in your mind. And that was controlled driving. The AS was better, yes, but it was also not loaded the way we all load our trailers, it was the optimum hook-up, and I believe it was at a slower speed.

PLEASE be aware that safe driving practices not only affect your safety, but the safety of those around you. With the rolling load on our rigs, we can do lot of damage and kill people if something goes wrong.

Getting off the soapbox now...

Susan
Agree 100%, you are one wise lady!

You want to come up to Canada and run for the job of Prime Minister???
Old 08-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
I went down to my local Americas Tires Company and they said that trailer tires (ST's) were good up to 118 mph!
Probably meant to say 118kph !
Old 08-22-2007, 09:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
I think TB nailed it. Control is the answer. Although I personally do not plan to drive on interstates, if and when I have to, it is no faster than 55-60. I prefer the back roads and enjoying the views at 55 mph.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
As has been said already, it ain't the spped you CAN go, it's the control you have and your ability to stop and to maneuver safely. I try to limit my speed to 65 max. After a while, you get used to having just about everyone else blow your doors off. It's your life and property you're protecting. We've all seen too many rigs upside down in the median and jack-knifed because the driver was going too fast. Don't take unnecessary risks.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:15 AM   #18
_

. , .
Quote:
I went down to my local Americas Tires Company and they said that trailer tires (ST's) were good up to 118 mph!.. so who is right?
clearly 'they' is wrong on all counts...

's' rated passenger car tires are rated to 112mph
't' rated passenger car tires are rated to 118mph

Tire Tech - Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions

'st' tires are designated 'special trailer' tires...

the industry norm is that st tires are load rated at 65 mph....

Trailer Tires - Tips and Advice by Auto Media

visit the g/y site for a little more reading and info...

On The Wings of Goodyear | RV Tires - Tire Selection - Marathon®

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marat...nfo_032806.pdf

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
I have heard that 65 mph is the highest speed safe for towing our baby. However, the tires are rated for much higher speed and the TV is very capable. Can 70-75 mph on level interstate pushing our limits? I seem to be passed by just about everything being towed.
Though you will see 65 or 75 on a sidewall, if you look at the tech specs for trailer tires they are actually rated for speed at load and pressure. For example:

Goodyear ST 225/75R15s are rated at 2540lbs at 65MPH at 65PSI.
Or 2270lbs at 75MPH at 65PSI
or 2150lbs at 65MPH at 50PSI and so on.
My suggestion would be at 10% below the rated load if at all possible.

As for what speed is 'safe' it depends on your circumstances, tow vehicle, and trailer. Generally speaking, it is safest to be in the flow of traffic in the slow lane (at least up to 75MPH). With no traffic I tow at 65MPH.
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #20
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I kinda think that if you are wondering whether you are at a safe speed or not....

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote