Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
S.C. Coast camping recommendations

Ok, my wife wants to head to the coast for our very first camping trip with our basically nothing but silver tent with AC. We do have electrical and are anxious to try her out so any suggestions for a couple of rookies from Greenville, SC for a trip to the coast would be great! Thanks.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 330 hp w/2slides
Shelby , North Carolina
Edisto Beach SP, Huntington Beach SP or, if you want the "Redneck Riviera" with full hookups, try Ocean Lakes!

Warren Smathers

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
NCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
OK, guess I need to add some more info after looking at Ocean Lakes. Side by side parking lot is not what I'm looking for. Maybe the coast won't work at all so I'm open. Just want a nice low key quiet few days and nights. Electric hookup is important for the AC though, it's been hot here.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
huntington beach state park. very nice. electric and water sites in the 100's your in the trees and very private.
gtc6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Sending you a PM. I am in Greenville and will be willing to help with questions if you like.
Rick in Powdersville
montanablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Rick in Powdersville,

Never received your PM?

Mike
Old 07-28-2015, 05:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My concern is that at this time of the year you may have trouble finding a campsite in a coastal campground......maybe easier during the week than on a weekend.

You have lots of good recommendations here.....and Edisto, the beach campground, is my favorite. Finding open sites right now may be the issue, and I believe Edisto requires one week stays this time of year.

Also, in addition to likely availability, one of the state parks more inland or those in Francis Marion National Forest north of Charleston might be more suitable to you.

Have a great time!

Maggie
Old 07-28-2015, 06:57 AM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
If CHS isn't available consider Santee St. Pk. CHS is about an hour or so away but this puts you on a lakefront SP in SC. North of I26 off of I95.

It likely will be busy neighbors might have a boat trailer nearby, sites are in the trees. Sites IIRC are gravel hard packed.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
My concern also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
My concern is that at this time of the year you may have trouble finding a campsite in a coastal campground......maybe easier during the week than on a weekend.

You have lots of good recommendations here.....and Edisto, the beach campground, is my favorite. Finding open sites right now may be the issue, and I believe Edisto requires one week stays this time of year.

Also, in addition to likely availability, one of the state parks more inland or those in Francis Marion National Forest north of Charleston might be more suitable to you.

Have a great time!

Maggie

Thanks!
We do have the luxury of going pretty much when we want since we are retired, so I'm thinking of putting the beach of until school starts. Will look at something nice a bit closer to home which is my preference since it will be our 1st time in our partially renovated trailer.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Great tip.

[QUOTE=GCinSC2;1659539]If CHS isn't available consider Santee St. Pk. CHS is about an hour or so away but this puts you on a lakefront SP in SC. North of I26 off of I95.

Thanks!

It likely will be busy neighbors might have a boat trailer nearby, sites are in the trees. Sites IIRC are gravel hard packed.[/QUOTE

Really my wife just wants to be near water if not the ocean. So a nice lake or river campground should work
Old 07-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #11

1978 31' Sovereign
Danville , Indiana
The state park has a really nice campground oceanfront. It's a little north of Ocean Lakes, but on the south end of Myrtle Beach.
Indy Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #12
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
We head to the beach as often as we can (starting in Florence, many are only an hour away). In the MB are, Myrtle Beach State Park is great, very shaded, and have a good number of full hookups. Huntington is another nice one that many rave about. Personally I like MB SP better, but there is nothing wrong with Huntington. For a more commercial place, we go to LakeWood instead of ocean lakes. It is a little quieter and has a more family friendly atmosphere, I think. They also have a great ministry and tie that into the events tha they have throughout the summer.
Headed toward Charleston, James Island County Park is incredible. I have only stayed there once, and it was during a tropical storm, but I cannot wait to get back there.
Finally, my absolute favorite SC coast campground is Hunting Island off the coast of Beaufort. There are a few sites that are on the beach, but most are not. If you can get a beachfront one, do it!
We have a 1976 26' Tradewind and have not had any problem getting in/out of any of these.
I am actually writing this sitting in my camper in your neck of the woods. Overlooking Hartwell Lake at the Twin Lakes campground near Clemson.
CMSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:40 PM   #13

Charleston , South Carolina
Hunting Island

We live in Charleston and have set up camp at Hunting Island State Park several times. You can set your camper as very close to, if not on, the beach. There's an old lighthouse on the island (open to the public for a small fee) and Beaufort is historic, beautiful and close by. I highly recommend it.
davidwrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:42 AM   #14
Lotus

2016 27' International
Nebo , North Carolina
Try Bald Mountain in Hiawassee or Oconee State Park. Both are close to you.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
JimGaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:22 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
For a first trip, you might consider Palmetto Cove RV park near Cleveland, SC. Check out their web site. It is less than an hour from Greenville. Address is 521 Table Rock Rd. Cleveland, SC. Large park on South Saluda River. All grass, level sites, wonderful view, easy to get into and out, about halfway between Table Rock State Park and Caesar's head. PC is a non profit membership park, run by volunteers but open to anyone. One of upstate's best kept secrets was once an all A/S park. No need for a reservation but phone is 864 836 6221 if you want more info. Cost is all full hookup for $25/night. Camper must be fully self contained per SCDHEC.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Hmm

I would have to say Myrtle Beach SP is one of the best little jewels of a campground around the MB area. Lots of shade, and walking distance to the beach. Very quiet CG & the sites have H2O & electric. Hard to beat 25 bucks a night. Plenty of grocery stores, and fuel, and Camping World is within 3 miles.
We thoroughly enjoyed our 2 stays there. Thanks for all that posted, as we do wish to explore more of our neighbor state to the S.
Safe travels everyone,
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:05 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
James Island , South Carolina
It is hard to beat James Island County Park Camp Ground. How do I know? I an a James Island resident and quite frequently my wife and I go there for a weekend get away. Yes only several miles from our home but we love it.

Lou
KC5ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:40 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2017 30' Classic
Summerville , South Carolina
SilverHoot,
PM me if you want more info. I live outside Charleston and can help answer your questions. I also have courtesy parking, one of the great benefits of being an Airstreamer and a WBCCI member.

Henry
Captain Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:28 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
I live in Charleston & am from Greenville so here are our favorite sites. I am sitting at Devil's Fork at Jocasse Lake right now & it is beautiful! This is 45 minutes from you. We are here thru Saturday so come by & say hi if you come. Clean bath houses if needed. Electric, water, & dump station. You can walk into the clear water & swim. Edisto Beach is nice (30 minutes from my house) but Huntington Beach in Murrells Inlet near Myrlte Beach. Full hookups & white beaches. Hunting Island near Savannaha is great. White sandy beaches. Closer to Greenville is Dreher Island State Park which is on the Grrenville side of Columbia. Many sites right on the lake.
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:31 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2017 30' Classic
Summerville , South Carolina
Silver Hoot,

If you plan to be in the Lowcountry in Sept. The SC Coastal Unit is having a Rally 10-13 Sept at Santee State Park. We would love have you visit with us, Fun, Fellowship and talking Airstreams.

Just send me a Private Message so we can look for you.

Henry
Captain Hank is offline   Reply With Quote