Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2022, 04:31 PM   #1
DG

2021 23' Flying Cloud
oakville , Ontario
RV trip wizard showing no RV route - Yellowstone

We are planning a trip which involves entering Yellowstone at West entrance and going north to Gardiner where campsite is just outside the park. RVTW shows "No RV route available, using car route". All roads per google maps look fine. I tried deleting stops then re-entering them, which is how I found out the problem is most likely Yellowstone.

Current RVTW shows the North entrance as closed (just opened, I know) and routes us through Bozeman - but I still cannot see the problem.

Are there RV restrictions for driving in Yellowstone (we are not camping there - too late to book 9 months ahead!).
Waterbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 04:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Sounds like google just hasn’t connected the dots that the north entrance is now open?
Try doing your maps search from Gardener. And know that when you come from the west entrance, take the left turn to mammoth hot springs and then continue in to Gardener.

Or wait next week or just before your trip to search the route again. Current roads also may be closing down because it’s the end of the season there? The national park website will give you the best information for closures and road conditions in the park etc and DOT will provide you updates on the highways through that area

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 04:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
As above, roads in Yellowstone closer the season.
Old 11-01-2022, 05:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Curious. What did it actually show for the car route? There are not many choices in ways to go in Yellowstone. Yes, I think you need to check the park website and maybe call for road closings and conditions. Maybe just ask at the entrance station and decide from there. Early October is as late as I have been there.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 05:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The northwest leg of the figure eight main road in Yellowstone (Madison Junction to Mammoth Hot Springs) is certainly passable by a towed RV when the road is open. It was rebuilt to modern standards between about 2015 and 2018.

Slow in places but certainly passable.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 05:59 AM   #6
DG

2021 23' Flying Cloud
oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Curious. What did it actually show for the car route? There are not many choices in ways to go in Yellowstone. Yes, I think you need to check the park website and maybe call for road closings and conditions. Maybe just ask at the entrance station and decide from there. Early October is as late as I have been there.
Thanks - it currently shows Route 86 to pocatello, rte 20 to W Yellowstone, Rte 191 to Bozeman, then rte 90 and 89 to Gardiner - a big diversion owing I assume to the North entrance closure. So not actually entering Yellowstone at all.
Route is planned for next June, so winter closures should not be an issue.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
You should be okay then unless something happens to the roads between now and then. We haven’t done the west entrance but I can verify that you’ll be okay once you’re in the park and into the north entrance. A couple years ago we did the whole north and south entrance as well as both sides of the loop. Spent a month in Yellowstone and another couple weeks in Tetons

Follow our adventures!
Old 11-02-2022, 07:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Okay. Have been with the trailer by both routes several times in the summer months. The route through Yellowstone slows down a good bit. We went that way on a Airstream caravan with 30 trailers and nobody had any issues. The long away around through Bozeman works fine too. The third way across Yellowstone park to the east and though Tower is doable with the trailer also.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
East entrance gives you the valley with potential wolf and bear viewing. It’s our favorite part of the park. You don’t really get much between the mammoth hot springs and getting back into 90 towards Bozeman. Although it is pretty.

Follow our adventures!
Old 11-02-2022, 09:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
East entrance gives you the valley with potential wolf and bear viewing. It’s our favorite part of the park. You don’t really get much between the mammoth hot springs and getting back into 90 towards Bozeman. Although it is pretty.
Actually the above description is of the Northeast entrance by Cooke City, and the Lamar Valley. (The East entrance is up the hill from Cody.) I wouldn’t recommend touring the Lamar Valley with the trailer because there are not many pullouts and they are often full.

As others have said the route in the West entrance and out the North is not showing now due to seasonal closure from Madison up to Mammoth; it will be open next summer and is not a difficult tow. The year-round road from Mammoth down to Gardiner had to be replaced after the old one along the river washed out last June, and was just reopened this week.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 09:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Why no route thru Yellowstone?

We stay up outside Jackson June thru September and travel to/from MT thru Yellowstone and Teton at least twice during that time, early mornings to avoid the crowds. Google maps does not show you the direct route thru the parks unless you enter way points, is what I notice. Likely they don't want "more" traffic going thru the parks, and I do understand that.

Last year we stayed a week in Gros Venture and I wanted shortest route to Gardner. Google wanted to route me around West side of Teton back thru Jackson, Driggs, ID, West Yellowstone, and Bozman- 306 miles, instead of going through Gibbon Falls using 191 and 89. Crazy; ever wonder "who" might be influencing these "directions"? To check the crazyness, go to Google, type in Coulter Bay, WY to Gardner, MT and watch how it takes you!

So, good question is "who" is making these decisions which cause wasted fuel, wasted time, and cost to the consumer; surely some groups would be upset if they knew how much fuel is wasted due to this...(not trying to start a political debate, but something to think about, right?)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 09:56 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Redmond/Tucson , Oregon/Arizona
Just checked. Mapquest does the same - long route around. However, some roads are closed in Yellowstone in the winter so maybe Mapquest knows best. Would be interesting to check again in June.
davetoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 11:11 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would plan on camping outside Yellowstone ( you don't have a choice ....) and doing the driving around in the park without anything in tow. As noted above, when the park is open, things move pretty slow through the park. Also there *are* some roads that I would not want to tow down.

All that said, yes, you very much can get through the park in normal conditions with an RV in tow. Going the long way around should not be needed unless roads are closed for one reason or another ( construction or washouts or ..... ).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:51 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
I thought the Park closed Nov 1 for winter?

What am I missing? Or is the park not really closed, and you can still drive on park roads? Odd, the park we were staying at was closing Oct 15 because they were expecting snow. We left a few days before the 15th as it was the temps were in the high 20’s overnight and we experienced “mixed” rain/snow during some of the nights up to the 15th. Not interested driving a car in snow/ice anymore let alone trying to manage an AS in those conditions. Been there done that, not fun.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 11:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post
What am I missing? Or is the park not really closed, and you can still drive on park roads? Odd, the park we were staying at was closing Oct 15 because they were expecting snow. We left a few days before the 15th as it was the temps were in the high 20’s overnight and we experienced “mixed” rain/snow during some of the nights up to the 15th. Not interested driving a car in snow/ice anymore let alone trying to manage an AS in those conditions. Been there done that, not fun.
Not sure anyone is suggesting towing the AS in snow? Think the conversation kind of drifted, but the Google Maps routing issue I was following, is the same winter or summer...they seem to not take you the shortest route thru Yellowstone and Teton for some reason..
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 11-03-2022, 01:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
They probably don’t take you through because a pass is required. Maybe there is a filter like “avoid tolls” that may be on and diverting traffic as a result?

Follow our adventures!
Old 11-03-2022, 02:35 PM   #17
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The route might have been closed because the road has been closed due to a flood. It just opened a few days ago...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 06:23 AM   #18
DG

2021 23' Flying Cloud
oakville , Ontario
TW response

Thanks to all for the comments and advice. I finally sent a message to RVTrip Wizard and got this reply:

"Thank you for contacting RV LIFE Trip Wizard/RV LIFE App part of the RV LIFE Pro Suite of products.

I looked at your route and don't see any reason. Our routing company does not share its algorithm with us so I can't find an explanation. You might want to call the park and ask them if there are any restrictions you should be concerned about.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Safe Travels!!!!"
Old 11-04-2022, 09:51 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
The route might have been closed because the road has been closed due to a flood. It just opened a few days ago...
Doubt that; just going from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful takes you outside the park, back thru Jackson and Grand Teton, 225 miles; 4 hours 50 minuets! Actual distance on the on Hwy 191 takes about 20 min! All I can think of is they don't want folks driving thru the park for traffic reasons?

http://www.google.com/maps/dir/West+...5943!3e0?hl=en
Old 11-04-2022, 10:19 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
I am confused about the confusion here. If you are checking for routes now, the map sites will show routes available now. Except for the year-round road connecting the north and northeast entrances, all of the roads inside Yellowstone are closed to all traffic for the winter. So, the mapping sites are correct because there are no through routes available now.

I suspect these sites will display through routes as the roads reopen in the Spring.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote