Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2020, 06:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
RV GPS Makes and Models

I am interested in anyone who has a specific GPS unit that has detailed RV site information. Several questions;

- what make and model do you have?
- do you use the unit regularly to help choose RV locations and route your vehicle?
- Do you have a dashcam with your unit?
- are you happy with this purchase?
- would you choose another machine if you did it all over again?

Models include Garmin.

thanks for your thoughts.
Danishgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we have a garmin rv 760. we got it a few years ago when it was new. if i were to replace it, i would get the latest Garmin RV model. ours is already deprecated

we also have the matching rear camera. it is wired to the 7 way trailers lights, when we switch on the TV lights, the rear camera powers up and we see it on the RV GPS screen. The camera is mounted up high on the outside and the wireless transmitter is inside

overall, we are vey happy with the unit. it is very fast and has free lifetime maps
we even took it to Europe on a trip and bought the Europe maps set. both fit on the inside memory card
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
They all suck. I use a phone or something that works offline, since the phone doesn't work in places I travel. Even the dedicated RV gps units suck. You put in your rig and say no u turns and what does it do, it directs you to make a uturn. Offline gps programs that you create your route up front and select fuel stops and everything else, work best especially for traveling where no cell signals. Personally the good old fashioned paper maps are still best if you can find a good one.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:16 AM   #4
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I have to agree with Gator. I've been across the country and back three times, and GPS units do indeed suck. Each morning, I verify my route, plan B routes, gas stops, final destination and alternatives. I cannot count on my hand how many times I have ignored GPS insistent directions to make a turn, and I was right each time. I use my stock GMC unit in my Chevrolet, WAZE in my Apple iPhone, but rely on Google Maps review that morning.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I also use Garmin, the 770, because it has an elevation display which allows me to anticipate what up or downgrades are coming up. I use mine on a beanbag mount on the dash, good size, good location and does not really interfere with anything I need to see through the windshield.
I have been using Garmin stuff since the 80's. Reliable, good tech support, intuitive and free quarterly map updates. Hard to beat that combo. I also like their BaseCamp PC software that allows me to plan trips on my PC and easily load those trips onto the device. I had the 760 with the camera but the camera resolution stinks. I now use a GM accessory camera on the back of the trailer.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:45 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
I’ve been researching these as well and so far this one looks to be the best: Garmin RV 890

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/705997
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have the Garmin RV 770.
I like the 7" screen, but the main selling point was the ability to connect a rear camera. I have the Garmin BC-30 mounted INSIDE the rear window. I get power from a USB port*. (I use a USB to cigar lighter adaptor, the camera/transmitter only draw 150 ma., so I'm not overloading the USB. I just lay the transmitter on the bed. Solid signal. I'm begging Garmin to upgrade that camera to 720P, but they don't seem interested. (* I plan to change the USB by the bed to a cigar lighter plug. Pretty sure both have 12v. at the wire.)

I see the newer GPS switched to a wi-fi camera system (mine is bluetooth).
The routing on the Garmin is okay as long as you don't take it for gospel. Garmin doesn't like left turns into a destination, so even though you see the place visually, it's telling you to 'make a right turn' around the block and come in from the other direction.
The data base is clunky at best. If you ask for a Mobil station, for example, it shows some 30 miles BEHIND you. Any may have become something else by now and instead of Mobil you find "Whacky-Gas".
I use the Gas Buddy app to find gas, which is why I won't use my phone for GPS routing.
I've actually considered running two GPS's. One for routing and camera, and a small second for detour and traffic.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I've always wondered in the GPS world if I go to a destination A-B, then return B-A, the GPS doesn't send you over the same roads?
Old 11-27-2020, 08:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Try this app. For ios and droid

truckmap

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1921527
islandtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #10

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
We have the Garmin RV780 and find it very useful. BUT...we don't just rely on the Garmin as we also use Waze, etc. to help us as well. Think of the Garmin as another tool to help you navigate. I really like that it gives me warnings as to upcoming RR crossings, speed limit changes and other safety concerns not to mention steep grades and bridges that we need to avoid for both height and weight. Having the Garmin (you enter in your vehicle's specs such as height, weight, etc.) really gives me piece of mind as I drive and it's like having a buddy watching out for you. The unit also suggests points of interests along the way and plenty of camping suggestions too. Again, it's not perfect but for the most part it gets the job done and I would say it was one of our most important add-on's that we have done.
rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I use the Garmin RV. It is a couple of years old and I am going to buy a new, larger one. I use the backup camera with it too. Helps with hitching and my old truck does not have a backup.

The RV function is not really good. I use it. But with a whole bottle of salt each time I look for a campground or something. It has given me some really wrong information. The unit also likes to take one for a downtown tour and back on to the highway in some towns. I saw 3 state capitols I was not looking for one summer.

But I am going to buy an newer, bigger one because that is what I am used to. And about all I can find. I am working on getting better at ignoring really bad advise from the unit.

I think that many of the problems are in the GPS programming that the companies can buy and that the problems are similar across the board.

I was looking for a UPS drop one in PA while on a trip. I had my old TomTom. I went to the location and the drop was not there. 2 years later I was making the same trip again and again needed a UPS drop. I punched it in to my new Garmin. It took me to the same location the old TomTom did and it still was not there.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:54 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Waterford , New York
iPhone app

I use CoPilot app on iPhone. It looks at clearance, weight and propane restrictions when routing. It works well but there is still no substitute for looking at a map before you start your trip.
Larry1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
I fully disagree with @gator et,al,

The Garmin units are very reliable.
they need no network connection, unlike a smart phone
they work everywhere, even some tunnels have GPS repeaters, but no cell repeaters
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
I have to agree with Gator. I've been across the country and back three times, and GPS units do indeed suck. Each morning, I verify my route, plan B routes, gas stops, final destination and alternatives. I cannot count on my hand how many times I have ignored GPS insistent directions to make a turn, and I was right each time. I use my stock GMC unit in my Chevrolet, WAZE in my Apple iPhone, but rely on Google Maps review that morning.
Please beware of accuracy of Google Map. Used temporally while in Austin TX because my onboard GPS maps were out of date but Google Maps was routing me the wrong way on one way frontage roads that parallel I-35. Bad news for folks not familiar with Texas road systems and driving at night. Fortunate for me I knew the area and it was daylight.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:36 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2023 30' International
Galloway , OH
I have been using Google Maps for years but am considering the Garmin 890 RV.

It is the preferred RV GPS for both Techno RV and these guys, Changing Lanes who tested it.

https://youtu.be/82tcHq84KTU
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I've always wondered in the GPS world if I go to a destination A-B, then return B-A, the GPS doesn't send you over the same roads?
'Cause it's edumacated

There are good reasons to own a dedicated GPS on the dash, I get it.

For the record I have had really good luck with WAZE and some creative on the fly destination modifications. The advantages of crowd sourced traffic info. needs no explanation.

Waze falls down when it comes to identifying restrictions (tunnels, low bridges etc.). For that you need to do some looking ahead with other tools...also available on your smarter-than-me phone.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I have been using Google Maps for years but am considering the Garmin 890 RV.
Hint: I bought my GPS refurbished and sold by "The GPS Store". I saved a couple hundred since it was new and expensive when I got it. The only way you'd ever know it was refurbished is the box it came in said "refurbished". otherwise it was new new, down to the plastic screen protector.
It's worth a look. They don't always have them, but it's a great deal.

LoLoHo:
Old 11-28-2020, 09:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
I fully disagree with @gator et,al,

The Garmin units are very reliable.
they need no network connection, unlike a smart phone
they work everywhere, even some tunnels have GPS repeaters, but no cell repeaters
I guess if you travel known roads you'll be fine. I don't. I used Garmin's GPS to go on a long trip. Had it all planned updated the unit before hand sent it all my stops etc. And then went on my way. It wasn't long before it routed me wrong. I thought that was an isolated case, but no it happened over and over. I recorded the entire route uploaded it to garmin and told them to fix their routes. Never heard back. Nothing. Not a freaken thing. I returned the POS and like Larry use copilot. I send it my route. I can use it on my tablet and then I have a real screen. Not some miniature pos.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:44 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tallahassee , Florida
My two cents: I use a inexpensive Garmin car gps for convenience. For planing the route I use the Good Sam's web site. GPS's are not reliable and I only use it as a tool not a crutch.
Omega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:00 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Last year for my 5 country European tour I ended up using Here We Go app. It routed me to my destinations without any cell phone connection, gave me turn by turn instructions and was completely free.