Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #21
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
'Cause it's edumacated

Waze falls down when it comes to identifying restrictions (tunnels, low bridges etc.).
Too Tall,

Low bridge problem? No problem. You just walk the route and if your head don't bump the bridge, Wagons ho.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:04 PM   #22
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
One feature I have used and appreciated is the low ground clearance alarm on my Rand McNally (which I will replace with a new Garmin RV785 from TechnoRV). It has saved me from having to turn around when I could have faced a high-center problem.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:21 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Garmin vs cell phone

We use the Garmin DriveSmart 60 (older model). It connects to the BC30 camera in the rear window of our 30'. The DriveSmart is hands free. It has sent us down a dead end as has Google Maps. We use both and do not totally rely on either. A couple of years ago, we came to a T intersection. Phone said left. Garmin said right. If we had gotten our heads out of the electronics and look straight ahead, the BIG brown sign told us which way to turn.

GPS is a better bet out west and western Canada. Not many people, so not many cell towers.

We have learned to review the route the night before and make notes. So, we know highway 375 and Transmountain Hwy are the same and we need to turn left in El Paso.

And we always carry a paper map courtesy of the states' visitors centers.

John
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #24
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
I use RVTripWizard.com to plan my trips. This allows me to add the gas stops I need. I then download them into my Garmin GPS to use. This has worked great for me. I haven't used the default maps on the GPS though.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:47 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Shawnee , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
My two cents: I use a inexpensive Garmin car gps for convenience. For planing the route I use the Good Sam's web site. GPS's are not reliable and I only use it as a tool not a crutch.
Saw there was a RV GPS Phone app that takes into account rig size. There may be others than www.rvlife.com--user/buyer beware! Waze has taken us down some sketchy roads (some without a shoulder or way too narrow) for the size of our rig, so anxious to see how these apps work.
Vagabonds_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:49 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Shawnee , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1492 View Post
I use CoPilot app on iPhone. It looks at clearance, weight and propane restrictions when routing. It works well but there is still no substitute for looking at a map before you start your trip.
In addtion, here are other apps that may apply:

https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-apps/
Vagabonds_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm sure I'm not the only one here old enough to remember when there was no GPS. What a miracle!
For my job I travelled a lot and finding a hotel in a strange city where the street name was new to the development (and not on paper maps) I learned to love GPS.
I'm also old enough to remember when you could go to a gas station and ask directions. They knew, or someone in there knew. Today the clerk won't know even if it's next door.
So pardon me if I don't bash GPS for an occasional glitch, there's millions of calculations going on in that little box per second.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:13 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
The GPS in my 2019 Ford Truck works really well. However I don’t blindly follow it. I’ll generally look at the bigger picture on the map and decide if I want to take the bypass or through town, for example. When I’m in unfamiliar territory it’s nice to have some guidance. Of course the truck GPS doesn’t have an RV mode.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:38 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Camden , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
One feature I have used and appreciated is the low ground clearance alarm on my Rand McNally (which I will replace with a new Garmin RV785 from TechnoRV). It has saved me from having to turn around when I could have faced a high-center problem.

Pat
What are the benefits of the Garmin over the Rand McNally?
Explorer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
STAMFORD , Connecticut
I settled on the Garmin 785 RV.

Quite often I will enter my destination in both the Garmin unit and the Waze app to see the routing differences in real time. The Garmin almost always makes a more suitable decision because it "knows" I am in an RV and it routes us based on dimensions, weight, and other factors. While it's not perfect and occasionally sends us in a strange direction, it is far better than Waze, etc. I still keep Waze running for the benefit of the real time alerts related to road hazards, etc. But I would never depend solely on a non-RV GPS routing application.
Justinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:08 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Harmon RV 890

Garmin RV 890 (not Harmon! Damn autocorrect)

We've been using the Garmin RV 890 for about 5 months and really like it. It's nice to have the dedicated large screen for GPS functions while using the Ford's screen for Audio or whatever. We actually use the Garmin for routing and have the Ford dash screen set to navigation but zoomed way out so we get a better idea of where we are in the world.

Like any GPS I've used, the 890 doesn't give perfect directions - a couple of times recently it had us exit a freeway only to have us re-enter the freeway at the next ramp. We usually double check our route with Google maps.

No dash cam or rear view camera. I tried another brand of rear view camera and it was more confusing that helpful. I can't figure out why I'd need a dash cam other than to record an accident but I try like hell to avoid those!

We haven't used it much to find campsites but its inclusion of TripAdvisor (?) reviews and links for campsites, restaurants and POIs has been helpful on occasion.

I always rate a piece of gear based on whether or not I'd replace it if it somehow disappeared. I'd get the 890 again in a minute.
OldFolksRoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:12 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
East Hills , New York
I bought the Garmin RV 780 GPS Navigator with Traffic and have used it for 3 long trips so far. Best feature is the route shaping by touching the screen and changing the route. This way I can avoid areas that I know are stressful and choose different route. Also works well avoiding tunnels not allowing propane and works reasonably well avoiding parkways where trucks and trailers are not allowed. Worst feature is that it continually warns me to shut my propane off. I can't stop it. Garmin was useless when I contacted them. So, I shut the warning off. I also like the easy switching to show what's up ahead and turns. Overall, it does the job but as others have pointed out it's not perfect. But I feel safer than using Google. Google got me in some trouble with small bridges on back roads on my very first trip so I bought the Garmin immediately after returning home. If I could do it again I would buy the higher model that shows dump stations and other cool info. I think it's the 890. It hurt to spend the $$$ when Google is free but I figured it was cheap when compared to the fines from being on the wrong road with propane or ripping my top off! I hope this helps.
milesinmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:13 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
We use the Garmin 770, this is at least the 3rd Garmin unit over the years. It's OK but augmented with my phone on google maps, my wife's on Waze and last but not least an up-to-date atlas.

Whenever possible we'll stop at the visitor center on the way into a state and pick-up one of their great good old fashioned paper maps. These seem to work fairly well without a power connection, GPS, wifi, or cell signal...go figure!

When planning a trip, either a day's travel or a multi-day excursion, I'll start with a map and a divider (comes from my nautical days). The electronic gadgets just add to the info and for us always require critical interpertation.

If I were to go new it would be another Garmin RV unit with the built in dash-cam. Right now I use a separate Garmin dash-cam.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #34
Just RVing

2009 30' Classic
Redmond , Oregon
Thumbs up RV GPS Makes and Models

We have a Garmin RV 770 and used it last November 2019 through March 2020 on a 12,332 mile trip from Oregon through the six southwest states to the southern tip of Florida.

It was very useful in locating the towns, roads, campgrounds and locations to skip since our TV is a F350 Super duty extended cab with an 8 foot bed. Our Air Stream is the Classic 30 foot.

We stayed off the major interstates to be able to see the country side and actual life of the individuals. We do not have a backup camera.

I have owned Garmin products since the early 1970's and I am still using our hand held unit for in the mountains on horse back trips. The original Garmin that I purchased for use in a vehicle died, and Garmin gave me a discount while trading it in on the 770 unit.

Check out all the units and select the one that best meets your needs regardless of what we say about our units.

Mo
Just RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:41 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Ada , Michigan
Works well for me

Have a Rand McNally 7710. Not perfect, but you can enter information about your coach.
patty1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:58 AM   #36
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danishgod View Post
I am interested in anyone who has a specific GPS unit that has detailed RV site information. Several questions;

- what make and model do you have?
- do you use the unit regularly to help choose RV locations and route your vehicle?
- Do you have a dashcam with your unit?
- are you happy with this purchase?
- would you choose another machine if you did it all over again?

Models include Garmin.

thanks for your thoughts.
Hi

Detailed site info? Nope, not any of them. If you want to find site 12 at the campground the GPS isn't going to help you. Even identifying the route to smaller "back in the woods" campgrounds may be iffy. A *lot* depends on where you are.

Make and model? Whatever Garmin is pushing this year. They go out of date fast.

Do you use it regularly? Sure, for turn by turn directions while in motion. For anything else, there are map apps on a computer.

Dashboard cam? Nope, no need for more visual clutter. No need to find that blocking my vision this or that way is against the law in the state I just drove into.

Would you buy it again? As I said up top. They go out of date pretty quick. If the beast is good for a couple of years, that's doing really well.

What improves as time goes by?

1) The traffic info and re-routing seems to be getting better generation to generation.

2) The amount of map detail seems to improve generation to generation.

3) "Cool" features come along. Most don't get a lot of use. I have other ways to talk to my cell phone ...

What doesn't change?

1) The tendency to route you off into the middle of nowhere without any apparent reason. It doesn't happen often, but it's still a "feature".

2) Very basic errors in navigation. You are driving down a road and the "track" jumps 5 miles to your left. Drive another 20 miles and it comes back on the road. Not a freak thing, It happens each and every time you are on that road (in the middle of Montana ...).

So, no ideal single answer all in one box. You need to use multiple sources of information to plan what you are going to do. Each has it's strong and weak points.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
NA , Maryland
We have a Garmin Smartdrive 61 with traffic and turn lanes (LMT). We’ve had a few Garmin units all with the same features. The RV specific units seem expensive. We also look at our routes beforehand because the Garmin isn’t always 100% right, highway departments don’t notify Garmin or SOB GPS of an issue.

We also have Garmin cameras in all our vehicles. I’m sure there are other good brands, but you get what you pay for. And yes, we’ve had to rely on a video for an accident.
jan55255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
North East , Maryland
Latest RV model Garmin! Ours is older; but we set it for our tow vehicle and trailer length and define the other parameters like bridge height, etc. We've used other methods; but when in doubt the backup is a current state road map. The GPS will tell you if there are backups and detours; but it can sometimes get confused when there are major accidents, etc. Cell phone service and apps are OK in highly populated areas; but lose their appeal when in Montana, Wyoming or other rural areas. We also carry a paper book that has rv park/campsite information. The navigator can look up the next destination and find a suitable campground, call in the reservation and provide the address to the GPS. This simple system works for us! Your mileage may vary...
Ladyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:20 PM   #39
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer7 View Post
For my part, I found the display harder to read - especially so when I was wearing sunglasses.

Secondly, when I changed computers it became impossible to update the maps online. I finally called them, then spent a lot of time waiting for tech, then finally was told that I would have to send the unit in.

So, I have not updated the maps for years, and believe their software is clunky. Each bootup of my pc had a bunch of DOS calls that slowed the booting process to a crawl. Perhaps they fixed that, but I will not try them again.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:46 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Guelph , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer7 View Post
rich.dev is offline   Reply With Quote