Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Beaver Creek , Colorado
Rusty's RV Ranch, Rodeo, NM

Heading toward NM early in May and planning to spend some time in the Chiricahua Mountain area of NM and AZ. Little town of Rodeo, NM has an rv park called Rusty's RV Ranch. Anyone have information about it?

Neil
WhiteyFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Rodeo, NM

Neil,
No sorry, but do post your findings. Looks like a neat out of the way place. If you get on to Bisbee, be sure to tour the Copper Queen Mine & check out some old Airstreams in the The Shady Dell Trailer Park on Highway 80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitfoxdriver
Heading toward NM early in May and planning to spend some time in the Chiricahua Mountain area of NM and AZ. Little town of Rodeo, NM has an rv park called Rusty's RV Ranch. Anyone have information about it?

Neil
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, the folks at Rusty's have written me several times to inquire about becoming a member of the NM Assn of RV Parks. I dutifully write back each and every time, and then ... nothing. I get the feeling that they've got a bulk mail filter on their email that is set too tight.

Though I've never been down there, the place looks ok from the pictures. On the other hand, it's also pretty clear that somebody's got Photoshop, and that the pics on the site are doctored some. What I don't know is how doctored they are!

Anyway, if you do go down, let me know what it's like. (And if you could tell the owner to drop the heavy-filtering, that'd be great, too!)

Lynn
Old 04-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I don't know Rusty's but the area is very interesting as is the whole Land of Enchantment. It can get pretty hot down there in May 90s maybe 100. You are welcome to park overnight at my place in Estancia (site of the last public hanging in NM) (505) 384-8082 an hour south of Santa Fe and 1 hour se of Albuequerque. I would be interested in your recommendations from your trip for me to check out later.

Here's a couple of ideas for you:
1. If you are heading S on I-25 you can save about an hour by getting off at Hatch and take 26 to Deming, bypassing Las Cruces. When you get off at Hatch there is an RV dealership there that had about a dozen vintage Airstreams, heard they are not there any more. If you stop and they are there let me know.
2. A nice alternative route to Silver City- get off I-25 at Hillsboro go through Kingston (there is a sign in Kingston about the Kingston Spit and Whiitle Club)
winding mountain road over a pass with great lookouts.
3. Hot Springs at Truth or Consequences
4. Mimbres Cliff Dwellings
5. Gila Wilderness/ Mogollon to Magdella- about 150 miles on dirt roads. you come out at the VLA the radio telescopes from the movie "Contact". The Gila will be a bit cooler than the area you are talking about. A Forest Service Map is a must.
6. Glenwood Hot Springs. The locals keep taking the sign down to keep the tourists out. A bunch of small hot springs near the parking lot, but the mother hot spring is 1/2 mile or so upstream. You can drive down the river bed by 4x4. The big one is 25' 30' across and deep enough to dive into.

Hell, maybe I should come with you. Anybody up for a little caravaning?;
Old 04-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Beaver Creek , Colorado
Muchas gracias!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall

Here's a couple of ideas for you:
2. A nice alternative route to Silver City- get off I-25 at Hillsboro go through Kingston (there is a sign in Kingston about the Kingston Spit and Whiitle Club)
winding mountain road over a pass with great lookouts.
3. Hot Springs at Truth or Consequences
4. Mimbres Cliff Dwellings
5. Gila Wilderness/ Mogollon to Magdella- about 150 miles on dirt roads. you come out at the VLA the radio telescopes from the movie "Contact". The Gila will be a bit cooler than the area you are talking about. A Forest Service Map is a must.
6. Glenwood Hot Springs. The locals keep taking the sign down to keep the tourists out. A bunch of small hot springs near the parking lot, but the mother hot spring is 1/2 mile or so upstream. You can drive down the river bed by 4x4. The big one is 25' 30' across and deep enough to dive into.

Hell, maybe I should come with you. Anybody up for a little caravaning?;
Great recommendations, but let me give you some background and some explanation.
This trip will be our first in our new A/S. We pick her up around 4/13 at the dealership in Draper, UT. We will be on the road to Alb. NM on 4/21 for a business meeting 4/26. On 4/27 we go the Bird Watchers RV Park near the Bosque del Apache for a day or two and then on to Silver City, NM. We want to explore that area (including several of Marshall's recommendations). We want to get on down to Rodeo, NM to visit the Cave Creek Canyon area. We enjoy birding and hiking and that area has lots of both. We know the temps will be high, but the payoff is greater since there will be some very special birds in the area that time of year. Later, we may go over to Cochise Stonghold where it's a little cooler (not much) before heading to Sierra Vista, Patagonia, and Parker Canyon Lake where we will start our swing back to CO. Hopefully, we will be able to spend a day or two in the White Mts. of AZ
before returning to the mtns. of CO...Does this trip seem a bit ambitious for a maiden voyage?
And yes, love to have company on any or all parts of the trip. Any takers?
Neil
Old 04-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Bird Watchers RV Park is OK, of course its big attraction is that it is near the Bosque del Apache. Most of the waterfowl will have headed north, but there are plenty of birds and animals still there including lots of mosquitos!

Give a call when in ABQ, some of us local Airstreamers may join you at a local restaurant for a meal. Check out the Airstream Forums Member Map to see who is here.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Beaver Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
Give a call when in ABQ, some of us local Airstreamers may join you at a local restaurant for a meal. Check out the Airstream Forums Member Map to see who is here.
Sounds like a plan! Since it's my wife, Jill, who's having the business meeting, that makes me available for lunch on Thurs. 4/26. If someone want to put together a lunch plan, please pm me. Love to get to know some NM streamers!
Neil

P.S.
Her meeting is at the Heart Hospital, 504 Elm St NE in Alb.. Any strong recommendations for RV parks?
Old 04-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Beaver Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
Bird Watchers RV Park is OK, of course its big attraction is that it is near the Bosque del Apache. Most of the waterfowl will have headed north, but there are plenty of birds and animals still there including lots of mosquitos!
Early May can be a great time to catch some migrants coming through to rest up. We will stop by the Bosque all times of the year just because we like the area so much. It's a very special place for us.

Neil
Old 04-02-2007, 12:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
RV Parks near Abq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitfoxdriver
P.S.
Her meeting is at the Heart Hospital, 504 Elm St NE in Alb.. Any strong recommendations for RV parks?
Enchanted Trails RV Park just off I-40 on the west side of town next to a new CW mega store 15 minutes to Heart Hospital. Turquoise Trail Campground Rt14 Cedarcrest NM 30 min to heart Hosptal. Both are owned by vintage trailer folks.

Or my backyard in beautiful downtown Estancia 1 hour from Heart Hospital. (To get to the Bosque from here you go south to Mountainair past some neato indian ruins west on US 60 to I-25)
Old 04-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Beaver Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Enchanted Trails RV Park just off I-40 on the west side of town next to a new CW mega store 15 minutes to Heart Hospital. Turquoise Trail Campground Rt14 Cedarcrest NM 30 min to heart Hosptal. Both are owned by vintage trailer folks.

Or my backyard in beautiful downtown Estancia 1 hour from Heart Hospital. (To get to the Bosque from here you go south to Mountainair past some neato indian ruins west on US 60 to I-25)
Your backyard sounds like the clear winner for A/S parking, however, the commute is a bit longer than DW cares for. How about a rain check?
The other two recommendations sound pretty good. I'll f/u on them. Thx.

Neil
Old 05-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Beaver Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Anyway, if you do go down, let me know what it's like. (And if you could tell the owner to drop the heavy-filtering, that'd be great, too!)

Lynn
IMHO, Rusty's RV Ranch is everything the website promises and more! We love the wide open spaces with mountain landscapes and this park offers it in spades. This park is a little over a year old and was taken over and refreshed with new office and landscaping. They have a large clubhouse on the front burner and hope to complete it in '08. Each lot is 1/4 acre and our space had a small pond and wetland area right beside us. We listened to lullabies and put to sleep at night by bass bull frogs and awakened by a flock of migrating Willets arriving for a rest stop. Portal, AZ., the gateway to the Chiricahua Mtns. is 8 miles away. Our daily rate including the Escapee discount was $18. Rusty's RV Ranch was by far the best value of any RV park we stayed during in our 6 week journey through NM, AZ, UT, and CO. I would expect the best time to visit the area is late March through May and Sept thru Nov.

Rusty was away on business the week we were there but mentioned the filtering issue with the managers. They said they would pass your concern
on to Rusty.

Neil
Old 05-26-2007, 05:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteyFord
IMHO, Rusty's RV Ranch is everything the website promises and more! We love the wide open spaces with mountain landscapes and this park offers it in spades. This park is a little over a year old and was taken over and refreshed with new office and landscaping. They have a large clubhouse on the front burner and hope to complete it in '08. Each lot is 1/4 acre and our space had a small pond and wetland area right beside us. We listened to lullabies and put to sleep at night by bass bull frogs and awakened by a flock of migrating Willets arriving for a rest stop. Portal, AZ., the gateway to the Chiricahua Mtns. is 8 miles away. Our daily rate including the Escapee discount was $18. Rusty's RV Ranch was by far the best value of any RV park we stayed during in our 6 week journey through NM, AZ, UT, and CO. I would expect the best time to visit the area is late March through May and Sept thru Nov.

Rusty was away on business the week we were there but mentioned the filtering issue with the managers. They said they would pass your concern
on to Rusty.

Neil
Wow, That place sounds nice!

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Wow, that's good to hear! I sure hope they get on touch with me about the parks association, but without the filter on their email!

Lynnnnnnnn