Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
Taquarin

2018 27' International
Elk Grove , California
Route 66 from CA to OK

Hello there!

This is my first post here, my husband and I just picked up our new 2018 International Signature Series 27FB in May and have been on a few adventures so far, Northern California coast up to Coos Bay Oregon last month, and wine country near Plymouth CA. both great trips!

So my reason for the post, we are planning a trip from California to Oklahoma along Route 66 next year and I am wondering when the best time of year as far as weather goes for this trip? Has anyone here made the trip, any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks and journey well!
Tami
Taquarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
East of Kingman AZ is the longest part of R66 it’s a must drive great road great views.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:03 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
The California segments of Route 66 have been largely replaced by various interstates or surface streets. You can still drive from Santa Monica out to Victorville on various surface streets that were once Route 66, but the magic is gone in the LA basin. And, I wouldn't recommend driving the entire 80 odd mile west-east LA basin on surface streets towing a trailer. You can pick up a small segment around LaVerne, over to San Bernardino. After that, I-15 essentially occupies that space out to the Victorville/Barstow area where you can pick up I-40 over to Needles. There are various segments off the I-40 between Barstow and Needles, but the route is essentially the same. At Needles, the old Route 66 went up and over Oatman, not necessarily an easy tow with your trailer. I-40 goes around that mountain heading toward Kingman. At Kingman, you can pick up a fairly long stretch of the old Route 66 that rejoins I-40 just west of Williams. It's an amusing drive, complete with Burma Shave. Be sure to stop at Seligman, AZ, a veritable monument to Route 66 with lots of old gas stations, classic motels, and 1950 kitsch (including velvet Elvis). Further east, east of Flagstaff, there are small segments through Winslow, Holbrook, etc. I enjoyed driving through Winslow, where you can get your picture taken "Standin' On The Corner". On the east side of Winslow, there's dozens of old, classic motels/motor inns, long ago gone to seed. In Holbrook, there's a wigwam motel, compete with several old classic cars.

Beyond AZ, I can't be much help. I've traveled across NM, but don't recall any particular Route 66 segments.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I think Fall would be the best time to travel the Mother Road. You will avoid the heat of summer as well as any severe weather. If you planned your trip for October, as you pass through Albuquerque, October 6-14th are the dates of the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. Over 500 balloons launch each day and it is a sight to behold. There's even a group of Airstreamers that attend the entire event, but I think reservations for a site are already full.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote