Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2017, 08:08 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
No 1/2 tons for me, been there,
I might agree were I pulling a 31'... but it works just fine for me.
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:50 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by vossom View Post
Crazy stuff, glad no one was hurt!

I was on I-95 and experienced the traffic (and winds) in this area. I have to say however that the ProPride hitch handled it like a champ. I pull my 28FC with a RAM 2500 diesel and it tows like a dream. Very stable and comfortable ride.
Yes, and your power unit is heavier than the trailer as is mine....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:51 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
A very good question. My approach is to adjust to conditions and when you are no longer comfortable, slow down or stop.
Well said. In other words, trust your internal compass IMO.

Quote:
However, you might take a hint when the SOB in front of you gets a wheel off the ground. Maybe someone has a technical answer the question. That would be nice to know. Pat
Multiple books would probably not cover all the possibilities. Like asking what is the best tire or WD hitch or tow vehicle.

If your trailer is lying on its side, or roof, you waited too long to pull over!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:36 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
As it was posted earlier by someone in the area, the area is tree lined, that can be a serious false sense of security. When I was younger, on a motorcycle and traveling at a slightly high rate of speed (seriously it was only slightly) I was in the left lane of a two lane (each direction) divided highway, median was about 100 yards wide and tree lined also, came to high power lines intersecting the highway (so a clearing) and without any warning, found myself just over the white line in the breakdown lane, thankfully there wasn't anyone else on the highway to be seen.

Coming into a clearing from side coverage can be completely surprising in any wind situation, depending on circumstances, it can act as a funneling affect and even in not bad conditions can be severe.

I learned from that to always 1. Be aware of my surroundings and 2. Pay particular attention to what is happening a distance up ahead in front of me to see how traffic is being affected, that sort of condition will even cause cars to sway when they first encounter it.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
I owned one of that age range also. Think you are correct. Also, from the rear Puck-up photo, it looks like a Mirror Extension on the passenger side door. That would pretty well point to a 1/2 ton truck.

I pulled our 2012 30 with a 1/2 ton for one trip only. Many of us talk about the TV power when towing. I can state that from that one trip with the 1/2 ton Chevy, TV Suspension is a very important factor when you get to the larger trailers (Not just WD hitches or Sway Control hitches but the meat of the TV is so important). To me, that suspension is more important than the power. Going slow up a hill is one thing, handling that trailer in undesirable conditions is another.

I wish we could get a full report on the accident. That info would be an education for us all.
I have towed our 30' International for 3 years with a F-150 Eccobost. The trailer tongue weight being 1,000 lbs would at times make the tail wag the dog. After last years trip out west through Missouri and Oklahoma I decided to trade it in for a 2017 F-250 Diesel. The difference in towing is day and night. No more white knuckling rides in crosswinds and heavy traffic.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When the winds are pushing the Airstream out of alignment with the truck, the weight of the truck is little deterrent to a sway condition, the longer wheelbase is what's holding things on the road. And it has it's limits.

We moved up to a Henley/Pride style hitch on our half-ton truck and the crosswinds and semi cannot move our Airstream out of alignment with our truck, we went from white knuckles to a two fingers on the steering wheel towing experience, no matter the wind. We had a 120" wheelbase Ram 1500 truck at the time.

Nonetheless, if the crosswinds or gusts are strong enough no truck/trailer combo will stay upright. I suspect that is the issue with this accident, as with semi's that were blown off the road in the same storm.

You couldn't be towing a better travel trailer for strong wind conditions than your Airstream. When is the wind too strong? Hard to say, and depends on other traffic passing you. If it comes up suddenly, slow down and get to a safe spot and take the towing day off. Don't risk it, a bigger truck nor a better hitch setup will make unsafe conditions safe.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:55 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
When the winds are pushing the Airstream out of alignment with the truck, the weight of the truck is little deterrent to a sway condition, the longer wheelbase is what's holding things on the road. And it has it's limits.

We moved up to a Henley/Pride style hitch on our half-ton truck and the crosswinds and semi cannot move our Airstream out of alignment with our truck, we went from white knuckles to a two fingers on the steering wheel towing experience, no matter the wind. We had a 120" wheelbase Ram 1500 truck at the time.

Nonetheless, if the crosswinds or gusts are strong enough no truck/trailer combo will stay upright. I suspect that is the issue with this accident, as with semi's that were blown off the road in the same storm.

You couldn't be towing a better travel trailer for strong wind conditions than your Airstream. When is the wind too strong? Hard to say, and depends on other traffic passing you. If it comes up suddenly, slow down and get to a safe spot and take the towing day off. Don't risk it, a bigger truck nor a better hitch setup will make unsafe conditions safe.

Without question, your Henley style hitch (which effectively puts the hitch point at your rear axle) is a master at controlling sway. But, we are not just talking about the weight of the truck here Doug. The weight is only a small part of the difference, the 3/4 or one ton suspension is what is important. Also, you are pulling a 25 with your 1/2 ton. Seems to me most everyone agrees a trailer your size runs great behind a 1/2 ton type TV--not so for our ASs 28 and above. Good point on weather though. The hitch, tow vehicle and driver experience all matter. But, good head work planning for the worse that might happen will serve as the best safety measure.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:41 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
It's cloudy and the road looks wet like previous rain...I have been in slightly wet road conditions from just a drizzle of rain where the highway got slick as ice. Sections of interstate can be very slick after a slight rain. We have all been there. The truck is heading back the opposite way of traffic so he jack knifed. Slick road and high winds make for a deadly combination.

Glad everyone is ok...God's hand for sure!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote