Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2021, 11:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Roadside Assistance

Good morning folks, I’m reaching out for recommendations on Roadside Assistance insurance. The wife and I are very interested in the peace of mind that comes with towing, flat tire help, etc.
should the need arrive. Any recommendations or warnings of who to avoid are very appreciated.
Erschm1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
AAA for 19 years.

Maggie
Old 01-29-2021, 12:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Just be aware that none of the road side assistance companies have people that will come and help you, they all contract with a local company. Only AAA has local people, but they usually won't deal with a RV. That being said the difference is the service you get when you call. Also read the rules carefully, about tow limits, etc. Some won't tow you home, only to a local service center. Some won't let you pick the service center either. And some have levels of service that only covers your car and not your RV until you buy it. AAA you will need RVplus for example. We have only used road side a few times and in each case the estimated time for help to arrive is always off by half. But yes it does give you piece of mind when you are in a strange town.

We have used both AAA RVplus and Good Sams Platinum, and have been happy with Good Sams and it's limits.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Good Sam. All the way.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
AAA certainly does deal with RV’s.

I have used them for years.

Maggie
Old 01-29-2021, 05:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I've found the best deal is to join the AMA (motorcycles), and agree to auto-pay renewal. Membership costs $50/year, and auto-pay gets you no charge Roadside Assistance that covers all of your vehicles, including RV. I've used it for towing several times, and found it very good - they contract with good service suppliers.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:32 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
We had Good Sam when full timing. The one time we needed them, they were useless. Ended up paying someone local to get back on the road. Since then, we have gone without and will pay the bill when we need assistance. We get our piece of mind with the knowledge that when we have a problem, we aren’t limited to who we can use or what a contract limits us to receiving.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:35 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Also keep in mind that AAA even with the RV package may not cover you in every state. Here in Missouri I've read the RV coverage and it says in the fine print where the RV coverage is not available when traveling in some states. So I have AAA coverage for the tow vehicle, and I carry the roadside assistance that comes with my Progressive insurance policy for the trailer. The advantage is the Progressive also covers the tow vehicle when it is towing the trailer. So if the tow vehicle breaks down and I need towing, I'd call Progressive since it covers towing the tow vehicle and the trailer. If I have a flat on the tow vehicle or need a jump start I'd call AAA. If the problem was trailer related I'd call Progressive. It's nice having an alternative.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Good Sam will only cover "road side" emergency. Here in Colorado, AAA will tow you up to 100 miles four times a year, no matter the reason (meaning, you could buy a disabled vehicle and have it flat towed to your home as long as it's within 100 miles). AAA is operated regionally, so be sure of your specific region's rules.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Had a TERRIBLE experience with good "BAD SAM"!! Lost a Ujoint on on the vehicle at 9PM on a 4 lane highway bypass in January with -30 weather. I and my wife were on the phone to the "brain dead" rep for over an hour!! She needed a "physical address" to send the tow truck to. Trying to explain that there was no physical address on a 4 lane highway was similar to trying explain to a "rock". Her supervisor was no better!! I finally called a tow company from the town wheere I live to come and get me. He had no problem finding where I was. Good Sam people are lacking a couple of very mportant things! 1. Common sense 2. BRAINS 3. People skills. They have no idea that person would require assistance outside of a metropolitan area. I sent a written complaint to Good Sam and after waiting 3 years, have never heard a word back. Thats their "Customer Service" in action!! JMHO
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:24 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
I believe i had the SAME rep ! I have found through painful experience that either they can’t find you on a map or the service providers they contact won’t respond ( for the rate they are offering). If you are impeding traffic flow, a very capable and professional trooper will appear behind you with blue lights flashing. The trooper will have a contract towing company that must respond.

Well after you have your vehicles delivered to the places you select and you are once again moving, send your paid receipt to the insurance and indicate that the tow company was called by law enforcement . It pains me to report that this has been successful for us three times. Professional response from all concerned ( except the phone answerer...)

Lessons learned: the sooner the troopers get there, the faster things get moving...

When my friend called USAA for a tow from the gas line at Costco, they asked permission to use his phone’s GPS and had him located down to the pump number. I wish they covered rv breakdowns....

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I had AAA few yrs. ago no claims etc. then jack collapsed called AAA to bring jack to raise tounge to place on ball, they stated we only tow no jacking, cancelled next day will NEVER have AAA again.I now have towing With Union oil Co. flat rate $75 use cost $4 per mo. per mo. Pay tow use cash or cc, then remit bill, no deductable no Q. asked just promptly send check. These are old fig. as to how much they pay as not used tow for few yrs. cost still$4 per mo.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post
Just be aware that none of the road side assistance companies have people that will come and help you, they all contract with a local company. Only AAA has local people, but they usually won't deal with a RV. That being said the difference is the service you get when you call. Also read the rules carefully, about tow limits, etc. Some won't tow you home, only to a local service center. Some won't let you pick the service center either. And some have levels of service that only covers your car and not your RV until you buy it. AAA you will need RVplus for example. We have only used road side a few times and in each case the estimated time for help to arrive is always off by half. But yes it does give you piece of mind when you are in a strange town.

We have used both AAA RVplus and Good Sams Platinum, and have been happy with Good Sams and it's limits.

Damon
One of the reasons that Indiana AAA won't tow travel trailers( RV plus) is that something like 70 % of all Travel trailers are made in Northern Indiana.So they won't tow those around.Every AAA State program is different potentially.
But in general, AAA will "Deal with a RV" No problem, if you have that package, in another State.
B. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobikes View Post
... Lessons learned: the sooner the troopers get there, the faster things get moving...

That’s because most Troopers are far too busy to put up with the runaround those outfits give consumers.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote