Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2012, 01:28 AM   #121
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I don't know where the days go. How can I be retired, not have enough time and be so busy and not feel like I got anything done? Maybe this is the answer: Age-Activated Attention Deficit Disorder - YouTube

Gene
And here I thought it was just me!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #122
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
Gene;

I assume that since you don't mention the quality of the schools that serve the area, you are not aiming this property toward families with children?
I tried to find the school ranking for the local schools online and couldn't. They must be somewhere, but by searching skills weren't that good that day. I think Crawford elementary ranked pretty high in reading, but I don't have the numbers. I have to go look again.

Apparently one of the other FSBO sites is hurting because they keep offering me more discounts. I have to follow up on that too.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #123
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Yesterday I had a couple of hours and built a unit to cut the vinyl planks on. I made it out of old OSB left over from a water bed we had long ago (I save everything) and scrap 2 x 4. This lets me clamp a plank and straight edge to use a sabre saw to make long cuts. It used to be, I'd get a "Formica" blade, but now they have "laminate" blades. The Formica blade cut on the downstroke, so it didn't tear up the brittle surface of the Formica. Regular sabre saw blades cut on the upstroke and cause tear out. The laminate blade looks neutral and cuts pretty smoothly.

The first two photos show before and after cuts have been made. After a cut, I ran some 150 sandpaper along the edge once or twice to smooth out any rubbery pieces left. None of these cuts are going to be seen, but it makes me feel better.

First, we went today to our political party county convention. I don't know if I can mention the party on the Forum, but I grew up in NYC, so guess. We both were chosen to go to the state convention next month. Our county is entitled to 15 delegates, and only 11 people wanted to go, so it was hard fought battle, but we prevailed. It will be in Pueblo, the day before Barb's mother's birthday, so we'll be there anyway and the place where it will be is in walking distance.

By the time we got home, we had some time to wash the 4Runner, and then I had 2 hours to work on the floor. We put down the planks a couple of days ago to establish a pattern of surfaces and see how it would go. Each plank was numbered and we put those on the floor too, so it was easy to pick them out and work on each one. The first piece took a long time since I am unfamiliar with this material. All I had to do on #1 was put a small curved notch in it below the fridge. It cuts fairly easily with either a utility knife or a carpet knife for things like that. For short cuts, I have to cut it 3 or 4 times to get through it, but that's faster to get around things like the bathroom entrance. For longer cuts, the sabre saw works great and cuts a much straighter line.

Each piece went a little faster and I've fit 6 so far. The three across the hallway at the carpet are done. The Velcro idea didn't work—too thick—it made a hump at the edge. I now have 24 1/2 feet of Velcro, a lifetime supply. I'm using non-permanent glue under each plank. It seems to hold it fairly well, but if I push too hard on an edge with no weight on the plank, it will move. The photo of the planks that are down looks kind of strange because of the flash bouncing off the fridge door and creating some unusual shadows toward the bedroom and the color is washed out near the camera because of the flash. The floor looks good to me, but will look a lot better when finished.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	154238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0313.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	154239  

Name:	IMG_0314.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	154240  
Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #124
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Gene;

I assume, and hope, you all are well clear of the wild fire.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #125
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Gene;

I assume, and hope, you all are well clear of the wild fire.

John
John,
Gene is about as far away from the current fire as you are from Mt St Helens. So I guess you'll both be fine, for the time being.
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #126
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I'm not as far as you think. We are near Evergreen, west of Denver. The fire is some miles south of here and south of US 285 and Conifer. The Hayman Fire in 2002 (maybe) was south of this fire and there have been other fires in the area for years. Part of the area is Pike NF and part is private land. When we arrived here on Monday we could see plumes of smoke, though since then we haven't seen much. We are about 30 miles north of the fire. It is a beautiful area and I can't blame people for wanting to live in the ponderosa forest, but it is a dangerous place.

Two people have died and a third is missing—first deaths in Colorado from a wildfire in decades. A "controlled" burn had been set in the area by the state Forest Service.

Our home, 250 miles west, is also in a forest and we are always concerned bout fire. The trees are cleared from around the house, but we still worry.

Gene
Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #127
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
sometimes less information is more powerful

I over do my adds and never amounts to sale
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Gene, looked at the listing the house looks beautiful. I hope it sells soon. I am amazed at the price. Property in the Puget Sound must be some of the most expensive in the country. I'm not a Realtor but I'm guessing a house like that with that acreage, if you could get it would 2+ million. Property is really expensive here because of land use restrictions, density laws, development fees and just shortages of buildable land. If our whole family wasn't here I'd leave in a heartbeat.My Dad is in his 80's and my Mom just passed recently so we know all about that responsibility It's a beautiful place to live but the gloomy winters are starting to get me down. The plan is to take the AS to AZ or NM for some sun in the winter. Best of luck on your sale, remember it only takes one person.
Dan
Old 04-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #129
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I only have 2 small pieces of flooring to install. I am fitting this in between getting more house listings together and all the other stuff that comes up. I'll take some photos when I get more done. Another plumbing issue has come up and tomorrow it will be solved; I got most of the parts yesterday, but forgot one thing and will have to buy it in the morning. This involves drain lines, so I am used to that from being the Airstream sewer expert.

I have found that I need to spray more of the non-permanent adhesive on the subfloor before I seat them. That seems to keep them closer at the seams. They are very easy to pull up and reposition. I also had to locate the screw holes for the dinette seat and the subwoofer—careful measuring meant I was only off on about 25% of them. No big deal. I drilled small pilot holes through the flooring so I could find the holes in the wood floor later. I plan to just screw the subwoofer onto the flooring with longer screws, though I am unsure why to bother—we never use it. The seat has 12 screw holes—I'll loosely screw it down, use an erasable pen to outline the legs, score around them with a knife, take out seat, cut through the flooring and remove the pieces, put in seat and screw directly to subfloor. This will be more difficult to do cleanly than to write it.

We have talked about replacing the covers on the dinette/gaucho cushions for a long time. The factory job was poor—some were so loose fitting they slide around on the foam (some of that was fixed under warranty), they get dirty easily and clean up badly, have no liners (would keep foam cleaner and lessen sliding of cover on foam) and look to be wearing fast. It all came together this week.

Barb remembered a seamstress that has a good reputation and works at reasonable rates. We discussed cloth and colors and worked it down to several choices. My favorite was to duplicate (sort of) the seats on the replica arts and crafts chairs we bought with maroon (Barb says it is burgundy) leather, except use vinyl to save some money. Barb wanted something else entirely. We looked at cloth (women call it "fabric") at a nearby store, but most were designs out of the 1950's suitable for "house dresses". Then we went to GJ and narrowed it down some more—cloth would be solid color or muted design, preferably southwest, or vinyl maroon or brown. A cloth (fabric) store in GJ has been going out of business for months. People would come from all over the state because of their selection. Maybe they would have what we wanted. We walked it to mostly empty shelves in their large store, but after we figured out all the deals, we focused on one area. The sign on the door said 65% off. We didn't know if the prices were already marked down, but they weren't so bad anyway. We found maroon (burgundy) vinyl in enough yards (just the right amount considering waste). I won one! We paid about $3.05/yard. What a deal! We hope to have them done by the end of the month. It will contrast with the neutral tones in the trailer (all shades of brown) and may reflect well in the aluminum walls. Easy to clean and we can velcro our sheepskins to it on the dinette seats.

I also ordered a WiFi Ranger Sky at a 40% discount so we will have a wifi booster to hopefully get in those elusive and weak CG signals. See this: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...r-64512-2.html Check out post 112 for the coupon for the Airstream discount and read over the posts in the last 6 months or so to learn about this; coupon will expire soon. Seems easy to install and hopefully no problems, but if there are any, we have the ear of the company and there is a work around for issues with cable TV reception. Next I may check out a cellphone booster. The Sky means no holes drilled for an antenna on the roof; it has a wireless router on the roof powered by the Winegard antenna power. I'd like to find something for the cellphone that does not mean any holes drilled either.

I wanted to keep modifications and fixes simple this year to save time and money. This seems to be impossible. So far floor: $200-250; table: $100 (still on the list); WFR Sky: $162; recovering cushions: ?. Still a lot cheaper than last year.

Gene
Old 04-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #130
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
I just ordered a Ranger. I hope it works as advertised.

Gene, please let us know how you convince Barb to go up on the roof to install it. I will need to use the same tactic for my wife.

John
Old 04-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #131
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I have not succeeded in convincing Barb to go onto the roof. I have suggested "a roof makes you young", "people who work on a roof never get wrinkles", "I'll buy you a fur coat" and other such BS. It never works. She doesn't care for furs and diamonds anyway, and she'd know I would be lying. She doesn't buy the "lord and master" argument either. I prefer intelligent women, so this is my fault.

All the flooring is down and the threshold and the plastic strip at the rear are in. I have put in transition strips at the bathroom and the folding door between hallway and kitchen. I hope to get back to it this afternoon.

I have filled out the forms for realtor.com and forsalebyowner.com and this afternoon it appeared on realtor.com with a few mistakes. The company that handles MlS listings have proven to be very difficult to deal with and maybe realtor.com is enough as I believe people use that a lot more.

I made reservations for Enchanted Trials RV park in Albuquerque for the 2 nights prior to the Balloon Fiesta. We got word we were registered for the Fiesta a while back. Apparently spaces are filling faster than last year at both and about 100 have already registered for the Airstream group at the Fiesta. We are thinking about making reservations for Santa Fe afterwards, but not gotten to that yet. I also have to contact the Ouray KOA for late May (our anniversary of meeting each other) and make sure we will be near friends who have reserved a camping cabin (they spell with with "K's", I don't).

Now to try to get some more trim done on the floor.

Gene
Old 04-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #132
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I did most of the trim yesterday and it went pretty well. I still have some miter joints to do, something I am not very good at. I do have enough quarterround left over to screw it up several times. The rubber molding is on around the kitchen sink counter.

Photos of the floor before I started on trim yesterday although some has been done. The threshold came out real well. The colors of the floor are all off. The color in front of the threshold is closest to reality.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Floor 10.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	155618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor 11.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	155619  

Name:	Floor 12.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	155620  
Old 04-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #133
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Look'n good Gene!!!

Would love to get rid of the Classic's carpet, but the interior doesn't belong to me...

Bob
Old 04-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #134
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob,

I'll bet the interior belongs to you when something has to be fixed. Say: "The carpet looks pretty shabby by now and a new floor would really show off your eyes".

Gene
Old 04-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #135
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Bob, sanitizing is your friend . . after you spill some bleach.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #136
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Bob,

I'll bet the interior belongs to you when something has to be fixed. Say: "The carpet looks pretty shabby by now and a new floor would really show off your eyes".

Gene
That will work about as well as " a roof will make you young".
Old 04-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #137
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Bob, sanitizing is your friend . . after you spill some bleach.
Red...are you familiar with the plastic furniture protectors, DW grew up in Poland NY. Sorry, regional reference.

Quote:
That will work about as well as " a roof will make you young".
We did experiment with "up on the roof" once...but we were much younger then. I now go it alone.

Bob
Old 04-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #138
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I did try this once: "You don't need that necklace. It distracts from the beauty of your neck". I got one credit for the neck compliment, but she bought the necklace anyway.

Someday I'll figure it out.

Gene
Old 04-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #139
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Southwest US....

DW, "look at all the beautiful colors on those cliff's"

me, "doesn't compare Honey, your my butte".

DW, "so now I'm a bag of rocks....nice."

Didn't score any points with that one.

Bob
Old 04-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #140
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Bag of puppies, Robert. Sack of kittens, Bob.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote