Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2022, 01:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Bandon , Oregon
Risk Assessment Help - Route 140 near Lakeview, OR

I'm trailering from Bandon, Oregon, to Moab, Utah starting May 11th. The most direct route would go through Lakeview, Oregon on Route 140. However, based on what little info I could find online (RV.net; couldn't find anything on this forum, but I might not have searched properly), there appears to be a section of Route 140, east of Lakeview, that is very winding and steep, with no guardrails. One poster described the road as "cut into the side of a cliff", and their passenger was "curled up on the floor" of their tow vehicle. It's not clear if the steep section is eastbound or westbound (or both ways, since it appears to transverse a ridgeline), and a Google map inspection is inconclusive to me - in fact, the route doesn't look as winding as reported. I'm comfortable towing on these kind of roads, to a point. I towed a 40-ft 5th wheel for 10 years before I downsized to my current Airstream trailer, and when on narrow winding roads I just take it easy and slow down, etc. But an informed opinion from anyone who has towed this section of Route 140 would be invaluable in helping me assess if I want to bother with the stress, additional risk, etc.

You may ask why I don't just go around, since cutting north on 97, through Bend, then 20E to I-84E through Boise, ID, to Salt Lake City only adds about 30 minutes and 36 miles onto my route. Well, when I depart Moab I'm returning home through Portland, and that route includes that long stretch of I-84 (now going west) out of Salt Lake City. I prefer to take different routes out and back if possible, just for the change of scenery (noting that things can look different going the opposite direction on the same road). So I like the idea of taking 140 eastbound as long as the sketchy part east of Lakeview isn't too risky/not worth the hassle.

There may be other reasons to avoid the 140 route that I'm not aware of, like poor road conditions, extreme remoteness, etc., so any other thoughts are also greatly appreciated.
RicknTrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Never been, but checked it out on gmaps. There appears to be a section west of Adel that follows a creek and has no guard rail. The road looks ok to me though, unless there's been washouts and such of late.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 03:04 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Bandon , Oregon
Yes, that's the downhill (eastbound) section after crossing the ridgeline out of Lakeview (and passing the ski area). I agree, on Google Map, even zooming in, that section just doesn't look that bad - the road isn't nearly as winding as some other stuff I've towed on.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-21-2022, 03:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
You are referring to Blizzard Gap, specifically the Douerghty (SP?) Slide. According to the Mountain Directory West, it is 7% for 6 miles ascending as you go east at mile 44. From experience, you will be looking at blue sky the whole time, while your terror stricken passenger will be looking down at the valley floor as it recedes from the narrow shoulder.
Your rig will have no trouble making the haul, as long as you don’t mind listening to the engine’s roar increase with each downshift until you are in first gear. There’s a sharp turn at the bottom, so you can’t make a run at it at speed... The cut itself is pretty straight the whole way.
It’s actually worth taking that route, just so you can tell your grandkids.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
But don’t take my word for it. Use www.flattestroute.com to review the route from Adel, OR to Denio Junction, NV.
Or if you prefer google maps, search for the Langslet Monument Rest area and take street view north.
It’s about 3 desolate hours to win Winnemuca, NV. From Adel, OR.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 05:09 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Bandon , Oregon
Don,

Thanks so much for providing a name for the area in question, and clarifying that it's actually east of Adel. Using "Doherty Slide", I was able to find a description, photos and a 10-minute video of that route on onlyinyourstate.com. The video, from 2017, is from inside a vehicle going westbound down the steepest downhill section of the route (there are downhills going both ways, but it appears the steepest - 8%, from the road signs - and longest are going westbound). The vehicle stays at around 17-18 mph for most of the descent (and has a manual transmission - can hear the downshifting at the beginning of descent).

The "flattest route" link you included was invaluable at visualizing the elevation change. Had not heard of that web site before.

It looks like going eastbound I'd be going up the steepest part of the route, but on the outside (drop-off side) of the road. Then on the same outside when going down the other side (still a pretty steep downhill). The video indicates there's a narrow shoulder most of the route - and in a few places, that shoulder narrows to just a couple of feet, which probably exacerbates the stress level as the margin for error narrows.

However, now that's I've seen the video, I'm comfortable towing on it. I just need to decide if it's worth it to go that way, just to say I did it, and then put up with the 2+ hours of driving through a bunch of nothing on the way to Denio Junction. (I wouldn't be able to appreciate the views much on the Slide, because I'd be driving - and would be solo).
Thanks again for the feedback!
Old 04-22-2022, 10:02 AM   #7
Bompagene

1979 31' Sovereign
Pahrump , Nevada
Route 140 (Winnemucca to sea highway)

I drove semi trucks for 30 years. I’ve used that route several times with no problem outside of a SLOW ascent and descent. Be sure to top off your fuel tank, not much in the way services. Check out Virgin Valley campground and Rainbow Ridge Opal Mine near Denio Jct. where you can dig your own opals.
Old 04-22-2022, 10:05 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Jacksonville , Oregon
I've drove that route many times. Yes, looking down can mess with ones psyche but you're fine if you're driving safe.
douglasks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
We went that way from LaPine last year. No problems.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 11:10 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Eagle Point , Oregon
Bandon to Moab

As a retired truck driver as well my preferred route would be 42 E to I5 south to Medford pickup 140 in White City, New Rogue Valley expressway Medford to White City if you like. 140 to Klamath Falls then 97 S to State line road, 161 E to 139. South to Canby then either continue 139 or East 7 miles to 395 which is wider and flatter preferred in a truck. Don't miss the A7 cutoff in Standish and bypass Susanville. From Reno I'd take 50 East. One big hill so do a trip check for weather.
The worst place and best to avoid is 140 East of K Falls. I f you must go through Winnemucca at mp 44 cutoff to Fort Klamath and go east to Sprague River. Pretty flat follows the river. 138 Roseburg to Hwy 97 South to Silver Lake Rd and out through there to 395 is a decent probably shorter route coming from Bandon to Lakeview. If still winter check TripChek for road conditions. Lots of truck traffic on 31 E. Pretty much a preferred route east from here.
1976 Sovereign 31' CB Rear Twin towed 'on the ball'.
Retired Professional Truck Driver 4 million accident-free miles. Various combo's GCVW 105,000 lbs 105' length.
Olscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 11:14 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
We drove 140

In 2017 while exploring most of northern Nevada we drove 140 northwest of Winnemucca to the Oregon border. We were towing an SOB, T@b trailer, behind my Tacoma. We stopped at Denio Junction for fuel from their above ground credit card operated dispenser. While there we parked under some big trees and went to check out the store. To our surprise a handwritten sign by the door invited us in for $3 tacos and margaritas. My wife was all over the opportunity for a margarita out in the middle of nowhere!

Once inside we were greeted by a rambunctious 4 year old and his bartender/store clerk dad. I had a beer and my wife had the promised margarita. Entertainment consisted of the 4 year old playing with his construction toys on the floor by the bar.

Mom came in to start the Taco setup. We could smell the meat cooking in the small kitchen at the back. When she was ready she brought out big pans of prepared ground beef, refried beans, cheese, chopped tomatoes, chopped black olives, freshly made salsa, and homemade taco shells. Her instructions were to come on over and make yer own!

Mom, dad, and two other couples sat around eating and engaged in good conversation. That’s where we learned about camping at the Virgin Valley area where there were multiple hot springs. Great camping area!

After dinner I decided to pick up a six pack for the road and asked if they had any eggs. Mom said she could let go of only seven eggs as she needed to make sure she had enough for the breakfast crowd. Turned out that the store had special permission from the state to sell fresh farm eggs because they were so far from anything! Dad collected my money, selling me a six pack minus one ( that I’d already drunk) because it was cheaper that way. Such a wonderful experience and very nice couple. If they’re still there I’d stop in again!

Oh, about the road: new surface in 2017. Typical two lane highway. A couple of mountain turns and not excessively steep slopes. Beautiful desert views. Not much traffic.

The picture was taken at the Virgin Valley Campground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9788ABFA-B94A-4CF4-B91F-716AD90BF524.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	414801  
Hikingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 07:28 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
2001 19' Bambi
Fort Jones , California
I have towed my (now sold) FC23FB several times thru that area, stopping to dry camp at the Sheldon/Hart wildlife refuge headquarters area where there is a hot springs and a handful of campsites. Yes, there are steep or winding sections along 140 so you need to pay careful attention driving on this two-lane highway. The principal concern on this route is fuel, as another commentor mentioned. Make sure you have a full tank when leaving Lakeview. This is a beautiful drive with plenty of wildlife viewing opportunity and almost no traffic...we love it!
Jack West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 10:19 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Albany , Oregon
My sister named that area "Scary Mountain". Definitely not a good road to travel in winter conditions, but in May you should be fine. We pull our 25' FC that route a lot. No issues. Along the way you'll see Sheldon Wildlife Refuge on the Nevada side. Great boondocking place with a hot springs and fresh water. Happy trails.
Oh, and say hey to Brad the cheese maker at Face Rock Creamery!
FlyingCloud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 10:53 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Thanks for sharing that Flattestroute.com link! Great website!! So far, it looks to be free as well.
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 4x2 Powerboost
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 11:19 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Bandon , Oregon
Thanks so much to everyone for all the great feedback! Great to hear reassurances from those who have driven this route. Yes, topping off in Lakeview would be a must. I get about 250 miles of range towing (and that's a conservative estimate - I factor in 30-40 miles of reserve on top of that 250 mile estimate), keeping in mind that going uphill chews up more fuel (try to make up for that going downhill, but if in low gear going down, that also can chew up some fuel). It's 114 miles from Lakeview to Denio Junction, and 211 miles from Lakeview to Winnemuca. A Google post implies that Denio Junction sells diesel, but I'd try to call them to confirm that (even though it appears I should be able to make it all that way to Winnemuca on one tank).

Did not know about Virgin Valley Campground off of 140 - looks like a great spot for an overnight stop if I choose that route.

That's a great story about the taco dinner!

Had not considered that more southerly route going through Reno, so thanks for that suggestion - it adds a little more distance and time (about 60 miles/1 more hour), but over a three-day drive that's not significant. I probably won't use it this time because now I'll be meeting someone near Salt Lake City before continuing down to Moab, so want to take a more northerly route.

So now I just need to decide if I want to take the 140 route out of Lakeview, or the more northerly route out of Bend (20 to I-84 through Boise), which also adds a little more time and distance, but also has more options to meet my friend, who's coming south out of Montana. I'm on a little bit of time schedule for this trip because I need to be in Moab by May 17 in order to begin a river rafting trip on the 18th, so I wanted to arrive in Moab area by the 13th or 14th (dry camping at Horsethief Campground, about 25 miles outside of Moab itself) to do some mountain biking. I can't leave Bandon until May 10 or 11, so not a lot of time for sightseeing along the way to Moab.

Thanks again to everyone for your feedback and suggestions.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:15 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Portland , Oregon
Lakeview drive...

I've driven that road in my old VW vanagon camper. It's fine. Have fun.
bboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:58 AM   #17
Quarter-Timer

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Agree with all - enjoy the route. I second the 'remote' remarks - I tell my grandson often that I set my all-time 'remote drive' record on that stretch in the late seventies. 3 hours with no vehicle sightings in either direction as I made my way home to Klamath Falls.
KellysDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:24 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Boise , Idaho
Great website! I love finding these elevation and gradient profiling tools. Thanks!
MDWilkinsboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:30 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Redmond , OR
We traveled 140 East of Adel last spring with our 27' International Serenity. There is a 2.5 mile long 6% uphill grade East of US 395 and another 7% uphill grade at MP 44 East of Adel where we camped. We had no issues with either one towing with an F250 7.3L Diesel. We did not travel any further East but there is one more uphill grade 8% before entering Nevada. The publication Mountain Directory West shows all steep grades and mountain passes. Its a good resource.
VinceJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:26 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Just to add, I always zoom in on google maps and if I see multiple semis on whatever road I’m nervous about, I know it’s going to be fine for us to drive.
SilverLock is offline   Reply With Quote