Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' Flying Cloud
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Smile Ridgway State Park, CO, Fall 2015

Our latest post is about an overnight at Ridgway State Park. We love this park, and can't wait to head back and spend a week exploring the surrounding areas.

Enjoy the post everyone!

Click here --->> Ridgway State Park, CO, Fall 2015

View from behind the campsite.

Our site.

Getting toasty at the site.

Check out our Glamping-Adventures blog. We post about camping in Colorado, and the surrounding states.
Two Chicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Great photos, but in #2 it looks like your trailer is nose down. I remember some sites at Ridgway are on a grade so severe it is difficult to have a level trailer. It is a nice park, but be careful if you reserve because some sites are not good and there's no way to tell that from the website.

Colorado has some very nice park campgrounds, but some campsites are bad. We don't reserve at them because of unpleasant surprises. Since they get booked up in the summer, we go elsewhere. The Forest Service campgrounds are usually better though they have hiked prices in recent years, they are still much cheaper than state parks. Colorado is a low tax state, so we have neglected parks, highways, state colleges and other infrastructure and high fees in the parks. I wish it weren't so, but it is. But the photos are great.

If you look up Ridgway State Park, make sure to spell it right. For some reason, the town and park are spelled Ridgway, not Ridgeway. Maybe the original settlers of Ridgway were spelling compromised. Ridgway has some nice restaurants, generally better than we have found in nearby Ouray, a place we visit every year.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
How was the fishing below the dam?

What is Colorado doing with all the pot revenue? They should use some of it for roads, parks etc.

Kelvin
Old 01-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
What is Colorado doing with all the pot revenue? They should use some of it for roads, parks etc.

Kelvin
The tax revenue from marijuana goes into general revenues which are limited and require any amounts collected over a certain amount to be refunded to taxpayers. Excesses from marijuana taxes will perhaps go to reduce marijuana taxes for a while, and maybe not to all the taxpayers. The limits on revenue are from a state constitutional amendment (TABOR) and even as the state grows faster than most states, we can't adequately fund infrastructure or other state programs. The idea of TABOR was to continually ratchet down tax revenues and strangle government. Apparently the voters think roads, education, parks and the rest are free. State colleges and universities get around 15% of their money from the state, resulting in high tuition. Parks are expensive to camp in and you have to pay an entrance fee plus a camping fee every day. Highways are deteriorating and neither the state nor the feds are keeping up with growth or maintenance. Roads in a mountainous state are expensive to build and maintain in winter. I-70 in the mountains is often a parking lot in winter and that's why we don't travel on weekends. Skiers suffer from this and that probably limits the amount of people willing to spend lots of money at the ski resorts once they drive from Denver's airport on I-70 to the ski resorts. While you wait in traffic, you can stop at a pot shop and the trip may be more pleasant as you creep along. Looking at the beautiful sights out the windshield as you stop and go is nice. I wonder if a Tesla with the heater and wipers going while you drive a few miles an hour would have enough charge to get to Vail from Denver.

Gene

Old 01-24-2016, 06:03 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' Flying Cloud
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Dang! I was trying so hard to spell it correctly=no E! I'll see what I can do about changing it in this thread.

The sites all seemed good to us. Ours was nice and level. I'm sure the picture is slightly distorted due to the wide angle lens that was used.

Not sure about the the rest-- taxes and such. We do are best with the site once we arrive, and enjoy exploring everything around us.

Happy trails!

Check out our Glamping-Adventures blog. We post about camping in Colorado, and the surrounding states.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:09 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Don't worry about misspelling Ridgway. I did it for years until I noticed the "e" was missing when I went there. Glad you got a good site. I thought it might be the camera, but wondered all the same.

This reminds me of a story about Chicken, Alaska. When the first prospectors went there looking for gold, they wanted to name it Ptarmigan, but no one could spell it, so they named it "Chicken". Fortunately it didn't come out "Chikin". A lot of tourists go to Chicken (pop. 8, but a lot more in summer) as it is on the way to the Top of the World Highway.

Gene

Old 01-24-2016, 06:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Beautiful photos!

Maggie
Old 01-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Hey Colorado folks: A little off topic, but how busy are the CO State parks on weekdays (not weekends) during June-September?

Chicks: we love your threads! Keep 'em coming!
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:54 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Absolutely Love Ridgway State Park

We stayed at Ridgway in the Fall of 2013 for nine nights while our truck was being repaired in Montrose. Lovely area. Very nice people. One of my favorite state parks. We stayed in the full hookup section and were joined by many deer visiting the area behind our site in the mornings and evenings. Had a wonderful dinner at the True Grit Cafe in Ridgway. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Susan
sunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:12 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Prescott , Arizona
Eatery 66 Airstream Food Truck

Did you happen to stop at Eatery 66 in Ridgway?
A nice young family operates a restaurant/ Food Truck out of their 1966 Airstream trailer (hence the 66 in the name Eatery 66).
They're closed for the winter but will open sometime in Spring.
Very good food and farm fresh.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	508.1 KB
ID:	256276
SilverBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:02 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' Flying Cloud
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Field and Stream, we have noticed that the campsites are not crowded during the week. Best times are probably Tuesday-Thursday. If you want to stay at a campground with any hookups, it's best to reserve far in advance. We plan are trips 6 months out.

There are a lot of boondocking sites and non-reservable campsites too. We are not as familiar with them though.

SilverBuddha, Eatery 66 looks really cool. We did not see it while in Ridway. We will keep an eye out next time.

Happy travels everyone!
Sara

Old 01-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #12
coloradopete

1988 25' Excella
Montrose , Colorado
I live about 20 miles north of the park in Montrose. I find the best time in the park to be during the week, when seniors get a small discount and the place is not so crowded. I personally do not go there during July or August...just too hot. Best time for me is April-June, then mid-September to closing in October. Good hiking trails in the park and lots of wildlife. Many attractions in the area: Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP (campground located there); town of Ouray (a few miles south); Telluride (40 miles away); Panny's place in Ridgway..excellent pizza; Silverton (located south about 40 miles..several old mining sites along the way.) Fishing in Ridgway Lake is good for Rainbow, brown.
coloradopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
[QUOTE=Two Chicks;1740412]Field and Stream, we have noticed that the campsites are not crowded during the week. Best times are probably Tuesday-Thursday. If you want to stay at a campground with any hookups, it's best to reserve far in advance. We plan are trips 6 months out.

Hi Chicks -- Great news, and thank you! Hope to see you out there.....

Bob
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
You are wrong! Wait you are right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
The tax revenue from marijuana goes into general revenues which are limited and require any amounts collected over a certain amount to be refunded to taxpayers. Excesses from marijuana taxes will perhaps go to reduce marijuana taxes for a while, and maybe not to all the taxpayers. The limits on revenue are from a state constitutional amendment (TABOR) and even as the state grows faster than most states, we can't adequately fund infrastructure or other state programs. The idea of TABOR was to continually ratchet down tax revenues and strangle government. Apparently the voters think roads, education, parks and the rest are free. State colleges and universities get around 15% of their money from the state, resulting in high tuition. Parks are expensive to camp in and you have to pay an entrance fee plus a camping fee every day. Highways are deteriorating and neither the state nor the feds are keeping up with growth or maintenance. Roads in a mountainous state are expensive to build and maintain in winter. I-70 in the mountains is often a parking lot in winter and that's why we don't travel on weekends. Skiers suffer from this and that probably limits the amount of people willing to spend lots of money at the ski resorts once they drive from Denver's airport on I-70 to the ski resorts. While you wait in traffic, you can stop at a pot shop and the trip may be more pleasant as you creep along. Looking at the beautiful sights out the windshield as you stop and go is nice. I wonder if a Tesla with the heater and wipers going while you drive a few miles an hour would have enough charge to get to Vail from Denver.

Gene
Our parks are incredible. Our roads need work. I am very liberal, but I do believe the people who use these resources should pay for them. Every park we have visited as a NATIVE have never disappointed. Wait a minute... you are right---- Lets keep people out of the state by reverse psychology. While we are at it lets build Trumps wall on the northern boarder of Texas!
Old 01-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
In the spirit of keeping the number of visitors to your state to a small enough number to allow one to also find campsites, I feel compelled to make sure everyone knows that in FL:

1. The mosquitos are the size of birds
2. There are alligators roaming the streets
3. The cops will ticket anyone with an out of state license plate

and

4. If you allow squashed love bugs to sit on your Airstream for more than 30 minutes, they will eat holes right through the aluminum.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by enived2 View Post
Our parks are incredible. Our roads need work. I am very liberal, but I do believe the people who use these resources should pay for them. Every park we have visited as a NATIVE have never disappointed. Wait a minute... you are right---- Lets keep people out of the state by reverse psychology. While we are at it lets build Trumps wall on the northern boarder of Texas!
Might be a good thing....would keep all you "Snowbirds" out in the winter.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:05 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
Thumbs up I promise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Might be a good thing....would keep all you "Snowbirds" out in the winter.
I promise not to take one single camping spot in Texas, if you return the favor in my state!
Old 01-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
In the spirit of keeping the number of visitors to your state to a small enough number to allow one to also find campsites, I feel compelled to make sure everyone knows that in FL:

1. The mosquitos are the size of birds
2. There are alligators roaming the streets
3. The cops will ticket anyone with an out of state license plate

and

4. If you allow squashed love bugs to sit on your Airstream for more than 30 minutes, they will eat holes right through the aluminum.
Damm; I was getting ready to come down there for a good old time python hunt!
Old 01-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' Flying Cloud
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
coloradopete, that is a lot of great information! I'll have to remember to check back here before we go to Ridgway next time.
Sara

Old 01-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1955 18' Globetrotter
Carrollton , Texas
Ridgway State Park, CO, Fall 2015

Two Chicks - question; Do you recall which "loop" you were in at Dutch Charlie? Was is "D" or "E" ? ..... just wondering if you were lakeside for that gorgeous view! Love to camp in Colorado and will have to check this park out! Thanks for your great blog w/photos too!
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote