Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by enived2 View Post
I promise not to take one single camping spot in Texas, if you return the favor in my state!
Not going to make that promise, and besides, without tourism and marijuana Colorado would be in serious financial trouble. Colorado is blessed, or burdened, what ever your opinion on the subject, with having some of the most beautiful mountains in the lower 48, but tourism is how they make the money for the state. Mining has long since played out, and there's not too much money in sheep herding.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:19 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' Flying Cloud
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Jame, we were in loop D. You have to walk behind the site, to the trial, that takes you to those views. If you check Google Map you can see all the trails behind the sites.

Hope you make it to Ridgway State Park!

Check out our Glamping-Adventures blog. We post about camping in Colorado, and the surrounding states.
Two Chicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:22 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1955 18' Globetrotter
Carrollton , Texas
good to know, thanks.
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I remember camping in Colorado with our Dolphin micro-mini motorhome back in the late 1980s and you guys didn't like all the Texas tourists not to mention Texans who purchased land in Colorado even back then. I remember camping in Almont on the Taylor River and driving up stream from Almont to the Taylor Park reservoir. Some land owner and placed in the middle of the stream every couple of hundred yards, rock pillars with no trespassing signs. Later learned from the locals it was a Texas resident. Don't know if its still like that since I haven't been back to the Gunnison area since then.

Over crowded campgrounds are not just a problem in Colorado. Back in the late 80s we never had to call ahead to reserve campgrounds. We moved from California to Texas and we could just drive to any state park close to DFW and get a spot. Now you have to reserve weeks or months out. Even in Missouri the COE campgrounds at Table Rock lake you need to book weeks and months out if you want to get some weekend camping during the open season.

The Feds and states don't seem to be building any new campgrounds and more RVs are being sold.

Kelvin
Old 01-31-2016, 02:31 PM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I have friends who grew up in Texas and they are nice people. I even like Steve H. and I know that is hard to believe. But I have met him in person, even with his giant Texas flag above his Airstream, he is a decent guy for a Texan. I think when we keep Texans apart, they act nicely; just keep them from congregating in a group, then they start thinking they are in Texas.

You can check for reservations at Colorado SP's online sometime in the spring and see what is available. You don't have to reserve to check. Weekdays are always better and that's when we usually go to any park or national forest campgrounds.

As for Colorado roads, along the Front Range and much of I-70, there are more and more potholes and cracks. We were just there for 5 days. The western slope isn't as bad, but will be. Seems worse each year. Let half the air out of your tires and drive at 5 mph and you'll be fine.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:19 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Not going to make that promise, and besides, without tourism and marijuana Colorado would be in serious financial trouble. Colorado is blessed, or burdened, what ever your opinion on the subject, with having some of the most beautiful mountains in the lower 48, but tourism is how they make the money for the state. Mining has long since played out, and there's not too much money in sheep herding.
Steve, You obviously have no idea of our state economy. Mining is definitely down, along with energy and sheep dogging. We however have other sources of state income that allows us to have a moderate income tax, along with a property tax that is 1/10 as much as you arrogant texans pay. Pot taxes are insignificant to the state budget and if you would look, Colorado doesn't get nearly the Federal aid that texans get and complain about. We do not need your tourism dollars. Don't kid yourself. Tourism is usually a two way street. I, and many other Coloradan's have no intention of spending money in your state voluntarily. Unfortunately only for business. Very unfortunately.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:57 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Steve, You obviously have no idea of our state economy. Mining is definitely down, along with energy and sheep dogging. We however have other sources of state income that allows us to have a moderate income tax, along with a property tax that is 1/10 as much as you arrogant texans pay. Pot taxes are insignificant to the state budget and if you would look, Colorado doesn't get nearly the Federal aid that texans get and complain about. We do not need your tourism dollars. Don't kid yourself. Tourism is usually a two way street. I, and many other Coloradan's have no intention of spending money in your state voluntarily. Unfortunately only for business. Very unfortunately.
I would submit to you that although you may have encountered some arrogant Texas, most are not. There are bad apples in every barrel. I would also submit to you that I, on average, have been rudely treated by many more Coloradoans than I have Texans. Don't know how long you have lived in Colorado, but I have been visiting your state almost yearly since '72, so I have left a considerable amount of funds there to help the economy.

Yes, Texas does have property taxes, but we have no state income tax. There are reasons why a lot of Federal aid goes to what I will call people "who live in Texas", but to elaborate any further would be politically unacceptable on this forum.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:03 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Whoa - that's not very neighborly - I think we still live in the United States of America - Texans and others are welcome in my town - Durango Co - and yes tourism is a significant revenue source for businesses in Co which translates to tax dollars - yech talk about arrogant - let's get back on to the wonderful state we have

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:45 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1955 18' Globetrotter
Carrollton , Texas
Ridgway State Park, CO, Fall 2015

Wow - Two Chicks began this thread with beautiful shots of Ridgway Park - what happened to the gist of this park thread?
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:02 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I suggest you read post #14.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
One of the best hamburgers in Colorado is at the True Grit cafe on the west side of the Ridgway town park. The buildings were part of the sets for the movie and there are albums of photos taken during the filming. I lived in Telluride when they filled Ridgway and had the opportunity to drive my Jeep over the bottom to check out the structure for fishing.

Street sales of MJ have not gone down due to the high taxes on retail sales.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Really sad that something that starts out so nice and beautiful turns into something so ugly.

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:37 PM   #33
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Texan bashing has long been a Colorado favorite avocation. Some Texans deserve it and when they travel in groups and take over an area, they have not always been loved by the natives. Yet, whenever we go to Texas (more often than not on the way to somewhere, but not always), Texans are nice to us.

We also like to bash Californians, a group that came in hoards in the early '90's (though Cal. is so big, they never noticed anyone had left) and especially like to complain they brought all the traffic to the Front Range. They are also bad drivers and apparently that is catching—when we were in Denver last week, we were surprised that drivers were even more rude than they were before we left that part of the state 15 years ago. It wasn't quite down to the level of Florida drivers, but give it time. Coloradoans also look down on Kansans and Utahns. Probably New Mexicans too, but we like chile. Being the highest state (in more than one way nowadays), we look down on everyone except Tibetans and Nepalese. Native born Coloradans look down on "transplants", but since my wife is native born, I have been naturalized and have been allowed to stay here.

I understand in Wyoming, the natives call us "greenies" because our license plates used to have a green background with white letters. Some time ago the plate colors were reversed, but I doubt they call us "whiteys" now. Anyway, Wyomites probably say the same things about us, we say about Texans, or New Yorkers say about Jerseyites.

We all tend to think our home town is better than all the others. You don't want to hear what western slopers say about the Front Range. And, don't forget, my father can beat up your father! Furthermore, my truck is better than yours. We're just as territorial as other animals.

Steve H. comes to Colorado every summer and I threaten to visit him while he's here. I never do, perhaps because he may be surrounded by more Texans. Or, life has too many things going on. Next August in Lake City, Steve? Maybe.

Gene

Old 02-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Steve H. comes to Colorado every summer and I threaten to visit him while he's here. I never do, perhaps because he may be surrounded by more Texans. Or, life has too many things going on. Next August in Lake City, Steve? Maybe.

Gene
Definitely Gene if I'm still able. (We have reservations.) There are other Texans there as well as Coloradoans and even some from several other states as well, but we all get along and have a good time. Come on over to see us, and I'll buy you a beer, but you have to promise not to pour it on my Texas flag.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
I went to a little cabin in Colorado that my grandfather had and loved it then and love it now. Come on down to Texas, you are welcome. Some really nice campgrounds for winter camping. We may pass on the road.

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Perhaps this entire discourse is a trick to make Californians not want to got to either state.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' Flying Cloud
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Gosh, I just wanted to share a nice adventure at a State Park. Perhaps those that want to continue to other conversations could begin another thread?

Please?

Thanks to everyone that enjoyed the photos and post.

Check out our Glamping-Adventures blog. We post about camping in Colorado, and the surrounding states.
Two Chicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #38
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Chicks View Post
Gosh, I just wanted to share a nice adventure at a State Park. Perhaps those that want to continue to other conversations could begin another thread?

Please?

Thanks to everyone that enjoyed the photos and post.
Threads wander, especially when the initial posts answer questions or are otherwise finished. Seems like I answered a question about taxes and it went wild after that. It is a nice park and the photos were great.

Gene

Old 02-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Two chicks, thank you for your posts. I live in Colorado, and have interest in finding nice places, (reasonably priced) to camp and also good fishing locations. I enjoy reading of your adventures...so please keep them coming. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote