Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Would you use a pay by the hour RV parking service with electricity?
Yes, I would use such a service 19 19.19%
I think boondocking is a right and I will never pay to park overnight 7 7.07%
I would try this service if it is not expensive 43 43.43%
Yes, would use this service if less than overnight fee at a local campground 30 30.30%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
We usually stop at WalMart parking lots when we need to pull over and sleep. If it's too hot or cold and we need electric then we either start a generator or go to a camp ground.

Can the providers (investors) of this sort of service really get excited and make enough money to adequately profit from such an investment where people are looking for a "cheap" solution. IMO the Camp Ground solution really is a good one and supporting them is a good thing. State Parks are already pretty cheap as well; $12-$25 in many places.

I used to feel like I was wasting money by paying the camp ground fees for a simple overnight but really it only adds a couple hundred dollars a trip at the most, especially compared to this docking station idea where you are willing to pay $20.

Happy camping!!
iowaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #22

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have been using this very service for a number of years now. The Petro Truck Plaza on I-81 just outside of Scranton, Pennsylvania has been offering 30 amp electric for RVs in their parking lot for at least ten years.

We have overnighted there at least a dozen times. The charge started out at $10, but on our more recent stays, it has been $15.

I like this service a lot. Easy in and out. A quick overnight stop at a campground us always a big hassle.

I would love to see a service like this, and would definitely use it.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
I like the idea of pulling in - fueling up - and plugging in without having to check in. I would only use this en route. It would have to be quiet and safe. We tried a Cracker Barrel and it worked fine because we pulled in near 11:00 pm and were out of there early AND didn't need air. Maybe if I had a dog and a gun WalMart lots might feel cozier. I like the pay by the hour electric at a reasonable cost and no hassle.
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Thank you to all

I offer my heartfelt thank you to everyone who has read my Forum topic. And thank you to the members who voted in the poll. I appreciate the comments posted about the topic.

My overall impression is that traveling RVers would likely be willing to try this concept for overnight parking while traveling. I think it would be up to the company to bring a product to us that we would like well enough to use the second time.

I will pass along these findings and recommend that the company carefully consider the comments and the poll results. If they want me to provide any further advice, I’ve already offered to do that at no charge. I was flattered that they reached out to me for some advice in the first place.

My thoughts, shaped by the comments, follow:
· The service should offer electrical power compatible with installed RV equipment. A power post should offer 20 amp, 30 amp, and 50 amp RV receptacles.
· We would like a level parking site with lighting and security. The site should be separated from trucks that idle their engines.
· Pull through sites are preferred, some back-in sites wouldn’t be terrible, but we need a choice.
· Check-in, if that is the right term, should be similar to “pay at the pump” for fuel + a web site based check-in and pay concept, possibly including a reservation option.

This company usually offers discounts based on usage, length of stay, number of stays, either with on-the-spot discounts; or a “frequent user” type of program that could lead to discounted or free stays or gifts.

Thank you again,

Let’s Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
I'd use it, especially if I could just pull in and through. I'd use the heck out of it over walmarting it.
Opposite with a MH, walmarting it allows us to shop, security(lights and guards patroling), and all pull thru.
MH vs. trailer electric not as important as pull thru, can't backup with toad and genset works for electric.
Truckstop unless it has separate rv space has no appeal at all.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #26

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Interesting. I found that one of the companies doing Truck Stop Electrification setups uses a pedestal that's workable for some RVs as well. Cleverly named Shorepower makes a TSE pedestal that has a NEMA TT-30 outlet (as well as a couple others including a 20A 120v outlet) and their website shows where they're current available or soon to be installed.

Once I turn on my AC unit, most outside noise isn't really noticeable anymore. I'm sure it's different for those with newfangled ducted air. Also, people parking in the areas with electrical hookups wouldn't be idling their engines, right? They're using the electrical connections instead.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
This is nothing more than an extension of the service offered to trucker at trucks stops. They can no longer let the truck run all night so AC and heat are available for a fee.

I would use it in a heart beat rather than pay some CG full freight for 8 hours sleep. The CGs have never gotten it and set up for late arrivals.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I agree with Howie, would use it often.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:23 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

I would use it in a heart beat rather than pay some CG full freight for 8 hours sleep. The CGs have never gotten it and set up for late arrivals.

That's really the business opportunity IMO. Paying $55 to stay for an overnight at a KOA along the way is silly. If I ran a campground and had empty spaces (especially during the week) I'd much rather get $10/night for someone just stopping through (and maybe their future business when they have time) than $0 for keeping it empty. And at $55 for a "sleep over" I will definitely look for alternatives. But would rather do that at an RV campground than a truck stop more often than not.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:01 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by malett View Post
I usually stay at a certain truck stop that also caters to RV's.

They have an RV fueling area, with propane, dump station and water.

They offer 30 day billing on fuel with a discount.

They can be noisy, and if its hot i fire up my generator.

I have to stop for fuel anyway so i try to time fueling and stopping too.

They also have good pizza at a great price if you buy a while one. lol

works for me.
Which truck stop caters to RVs? I have a DP moho so unlike my previous gasser the genset is in the front and not under the bed...so I can run it at night and keep my AC going (which really is all I care about in summer) but I always worry about it bothering everyone outside. I've only overnighted in a Walmart once and I ran the genset but found a not-so-nice note on my door the next morning...ever since then if I have to stay overnight I seek out truck stops...I'm in Cali so I seek out the larger Flying J and Pilot's as they seem to be a little less seedy and they're usually very VERY well lit at night so I feel safer. Being in a 36' DP moho definitely makes a difference...I know I wouldn't feel safe at all in a TT. At least in the moho if I get scared and want to make a quick escape I don't have to unlock any doors to hop into a truck.

I think the idea, if priced right and everything else you've mentioned, is a home run of an idea. I can't stress though how important a really intuitive mobile app will be. Apps are how I make any trip planning on the fly.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:51 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Alaska View Post
The concept would be this: you pull up to an open site, go to the company's web site on your phone or PC, ID the site, then select how many hours of parking you want. Pay via CC or account with the company (if you have one). Possible add-ons would include a reservation system [a time window for a site].

Hi, not everyone has a smart phone, [we have dumb phones] and if I don't have WIFI, I can't go to their on line site. The next concern is, I don't know how long I will be there so will I be over paying or cheating them? Maybe a coin/card operated power pole would work better.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:07 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Those of us who are Passport America devotees have been doing overnight stops on the cheap for years , and some of those campground have got catering to overnighters down to a fine art.

Seriously, tho, a truck stop area with easy access sites for RV's would be an excellent idea.

I also think that electricity only would be the way to go....if it's just meant to be a very convenient overnight, that is what comfort turns on, and should be enough.

Full hookups would be an RV park at a truck stop.

Just my thoughts.

Maggie
Old 06-18-2015, 05:39 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Maggie - can you share more about the Passport America benefit?? Thanks!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:57 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Our big issue would be safety- does it feel like a safe place to stay?

We were broken down at one of those Ohio rest areas with RV electricity a week ago, but staying there for the night wasn't an option we wanted to entertain. Plus the sites looked too small for our rig, though we didn't look closely.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:04 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Maggie - can you share more about the Passport America benefit?? Thanks!
Low annual fee, best if you renew for, say, 3 years.....around $100, as I recall.

50% off at participating campgrounds, most of which have limits on how long you can stay, and often don't offer the discount during high season, if they are in a popular tourist area.

I renewed this year, for three more years, and we have been members since 2008 or so.

Sometimes, these are high end campgrounds, sometimes they are not.

But......full hookups or W/E with access to a dump station, generally under $15 a night......often $10-$12 a night. What's not to love, if you're just looking for an overnight stay?

If the campground is not lovely, you hook up, walk the dog, close your blinds and you are home.

If you do a lot of traveling, the low annual fee is well worth it, and recouped after 2-3 nights. Check out their website.

They also now have a great app.

Maggie
Old 06-18-2015, 06:11 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I want to speak to fears of rest stops, truck stops, Walmart parking lots, etc.

If you have always lived in the best neighborhoods, away from lower, and lower middle class folks......just know that danger does not really lurk around every corner, nor is every person shabbily dressed a threat.

Broaden your horizons. Smile and say hello. Use common sense. Lock your doors at night. You will be fine.

163,000+ miles.....the last 17,000 by myself.....never been accosted once.

Maggie
Old 06-18-2015, 06:30 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Large cities like metro Atlanta have some Walmarts where the parking lots would not be safe, but in other areas they probably are. Ask the manager in any case to make sure you would be welcome. Truck stops can look safe or not. The best model is keep moving if it doesn't look safe or appealing, and if you do stay always be prepared to fully defend yourself where ever you are. We travel fully armed and prefer states where the Georgia Weapons license has reciprocity.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:23 AM   #38

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
While some bemoan the cost to camp, you really have to look at the fact that the majority of campground owners are not rolling in profits. My former boss and I seriously considered purchasing a campground around 20 years ago and found that unless you were in a southern destination location, the seasonal folks aren't making big money.

Factoring in the cost of maintaining the grounds & facilities, utility, business insurance, medical insurance, and most likely mortgage payment, the profit margin is pretty thin.

The common theme we encountered in our search was you live like a pauper and retire as a king. The king term is related to the value of the property when you sell.

So going to the topic in hand, if you are a typical off the road campground with standard amenities, you can't make it on $10 a night, especially if you are in a seasonal climate. So holding our breath waiting for campground owners to offer a discount overnight rate just isn't going to happen. They need their current rate structure to stay afloat, and offering a discount rate will come at the expense of canibalizing their bottom line.

What really may have to happen is a revolutionary concept as talked about in this thread. Only if the size and amenities of such a overnight stop can minimize development costs, which in turn can be reflected in lower overnight rates.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:37 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I have used Flying J truck stops, Wal Mart, and Cracker Barrel for over 10 years. The only issue we ever had was very early on at a Cracker Barrel. I asked the young waitress if it was OK to stay in a CB in Ohio. She said nothing and disappeared. A few minutes later the manager came over and said, I hear you want to stay overnight. I replied no it was early and just wanted to know in general if it was OK as we would travel a few more hours to a CB down the road. He said OK but he suggested we not stay at his CB because the prostitutes use their CBs to call the truckers in and the police raid the lot several times a night.

The Flying J at Carmel Church Va. is often so crowded you have to get there before 10pm to get a spot. In Alaska the abandoned Wal Mart at Wasilla has a wagon master.

I have a friend that joined the Moose Lodge just because they have water and electric for members at each lodge.

Yes the campground owner associations have missed the point.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:45 AM   #40
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
So holding our breath waiting for campground owners to offer a discount overnight rate just isn't going to happen. They need their current rate structure to stay afloat, and offering a discount rate will come at the expense of cannibalizing their bottom line.
I quite agree. Corps of Engineers can afford to offer campsites at half the price of commercial campgrounds— and accept the America the Beautiful passes for half-price off of that— because the Federal Government doesn't need to turn a profit. Ditto for State Parks.

The Passport America campgrounds that offer 50% off for one or more nights do so for one reason only— a campsite filled at half price loses less money than an empty campsite. Simple fact, campgrounds that already have enough business to turn a profit don't bother offering discounts; they don't need to.