Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Report on work by ReliableRV in Springfield, MO and the great MN Bear Hunt

As many of you know, my baby was side swiped by a truck in July. It took out the water heater, and scarfed up both side panels and the rear panels.

I called the factory, they were booked thru October. I had a trip to Minnesota planned in Setember, and wanted it repaired by then.

The factory service mgr suggested I take it to ReliableRV in Springfield. I called them and John Steuber said to bring it down and he would start on it as soon as the parts came in.

Several forum members asked for a report on the work that ReliableRV did, so here it is.

It took a week for them to get all the parts identified and ordered. Then I took it down to them. It took a week and a half to do the work.

They replaced both the lower panel and the upper one with the windows, all the way to the front end cap, and the two rear panels, as well as the water heater.

The rivetting is flawless. It looks as good as the factory work. The whole side of the trailer looks new again. The rear end cap looks new again.

They put on a new polished belt all the way around from one side of the door to the other side of the door. I got new emblems, letters, and pinstriping. I got a brand new water heater. The windows fit perfectly. They put on all new window latches, shade strings, and the little plastic things you attach the strings to.
(BTW, the inside of my trailor is as clean as when I took it to them. No mess, no dirty footprints on the carpet.)

They washed the trailor, cleaned all the windows, and polished the wheels.

They put on a new set on 10 ply Maxxis tires and a TPM system with booster. (Those were not covered by insurance, but I needed them, anyway.)

I have to say, I am thrilled with their work. I reccomend them to any of you.

I did find one small problem on my trip to Minnesota. I have a small water leak in the box where you hook up to city water. If the water pump is left on, it cycles every minute or so and water leaks out the seam below the fresh water and tank sprayer hook ups, which is under and behind the water heater. I will call John this week and tell him about it. It wasn't a big problem on the trip, as we were camping off the grid. I just turned the pump off after I used it and all went well.

As for the Great Minnesota Bear Hunt, I went up with my oldest daughter, her husband, and 6 of their friends. I did not hunt. I went along strictly as an advisor. ( Basically I went along to sit by the camp fire, smoke cigars, drink good single malt, and tell lies.)

In the end it's all about bragging rights, and my little girl kicked ass. for the second GMBH she killed the only bear. That's my girl, chip off the old block.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Reliable is touted by many in the know, as the best RV repair shop in this area.

It's nice to get such a report from someone out of the area.

If Chris Burch (the service mgr at J.C.) gave them a recommendation, I'm even more impressed.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
Reliable is touted by many in the know, as the best RV repair shop in this area.

It's nice to get such a report from someone out of the area.

If Chris Burch (the service mgr at J.C.) gave them a recommendation, I'm even more impressed.
I don't remember the guy's name at JC, but I asked for the service mgr, and the guy I talked to said he was the service mgr.

Anyway, he told me that Reliable guys came to all their courses, and all graduated with above average "grades". (Can't think of the word he used, but that is what I got from what he said)

He also told me that of the few that could make such a repair, Reliable would be one of the best, and would do as good a job as they (Factory) could.

I was also impressed with the attitude of the people at Reliable. John Steuber comes accross as a tough, no nonsense sort of guy. He doesn't sugar coat anything; he tells it as he sees it. ( I really like that ) On the other hand, he went the extra mile in several areas. ( I like that, too)

The parts guy, Tracy Scott, was a big help with tires and a TPM. I asked what he thought of the tires that were on my AS, and he told me as well as sent close up pictures of my tires. Then he sent me very competitive prices on several brands of tires. He also gave me, what I thought was a very good price on 16" wheels mounted with Michelins from Airstream. That would have taken 3 weeks to get, tho so I put on the 10 ply Maxxis. (I will put on the 16" wheels in the spring.)

All in all, I will drive the 400 miles to Reliable for serious work when my baby needs it. They will also be my first choice when it comes time to trade.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I am curious; were the panels replaced by removing the interior panels or replace from the outside?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank's Trailer Works View Post
I am curious; were the panels replaced by removing the interior panels or replace from the outside?
I did not see them work on it, so I don't know.

Why do you ask?
Old 10-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryV View Post

Why do you ask?
It's very easy to tell.

Are the exterior rivets buck rivets or Olympic rivets.

All the Olympic rivets will have a small circle near the center that's about 1/16 inch in diameter.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Nice to read Reliable RV in Springfield does "reliable" work as I just moved here in March. I need to get my stabilizer jack bolts replaced as several have broken off.

Thank you for posting your report.

I think the previous question about whether the inside paneling was removed is because doesn't it take two to rivet the outside panels, one tech in the interior and one outside to apply the rivet? Then they seal the seam from the inside.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryV View Post

Why do you ask?

Kelvin is correct. If they did not remove the interior, they could not "buck rivet" the panels. Just guessing, they probably used an Olympic style rivet from the outside. which looks almost the same from the outside, after they shave them off. Olympic rivets are a pop rivet type of rivet with a large head and a center pin that pulls the insert closed against the back of the panel. They cut the pin and shave it down to mach the look of the buck rivets. If they used sealant (Vulcum/Trempro) you should be just fine on side panels, they are not as prone to leak as much as end caps or top panels.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Well, we went thru a really big heavy rainstorm in MN, and it didn't seem to leak anywhere.

I do know that the trailer looks really good again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	223318
Old 10-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Beautiful job. Looks like new. By the way I love the street side awnings.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Beautiful job. Looks like new. By the way I love the street side awnings.
If you notice, there is one over the rear window, also.

I have had campers of some sort for 47 years, and always wished I could have those cute little awnings over the windows. When I was young, I couldn't afford them. When I finally got to the point where I could afford them, I just never got around to putting them on.

This unit came with them, and I am so tickled to have them.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #12
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Reliable RV is where we found our 08 Classic last year on Labor Day. The sales staff were not vultures, they were honest and professional. The made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the AS as well as my Starcraft pop up, sight unseen, as a trade in. The service dept did a great job with explaining the hitching up process with the system they installed. These are great people in it for the long haul, not a fast buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:51 AM   #13
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We had to replace 3 panels on our 30'er last year due damage incurred when someone opened their car door as we were pulling out. After the repair I asked the repairman how to tell the difference between the factory bucked rivet and the repair olympic style. It's not real obvious but if you look carefully you may be able to see the polished center stem left behind but more easily seen is the diameter is ever so slightly smaller than the factory originals. So if you can see one of each close enough to tell you may be able to see it. Time will tell but they are widely used in the repair industry.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote