Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2021, 09:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Reno to Eugene

I have a kid who is currently in Fallon, NV, east of Reno. She needs to go to Eugene, OR. There is a snowfall warning for Santiam Pass in the Cascades (Hwy 20).

Google Maps offers several routes. Would it be better to follow the recommended route up through Klamath Falls or north through Nevada on Hwy 395? I'm thinking they should continue west to catch I-5 east of Yuba City. Would that be better? It adds about 2.5 hours to their trip but it's more Interstate

Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11-23-2021 10-56-14 AM.png
Views:	36
Size:	756.1 KB
ID:	408341   Click image for larger version

Name:	11-23-2021 11-33-35 AM.png
Views:	32
Size:	664.6 KB
ID:	408352  

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
I snow avoidance is paramount then over to I5, but 395 north is a good road, but two lane. Is there snow warning for the grants Pass area? Either way they should at least carry chains and know how to use them or have the means to pay a chain installer. If they have AWD then take the shortest route.
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:00 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
The Santiam Pass is not enroute, but the same snow conditions might apply fir the southern Cascades. However, your "center" route would be best in my mind (as someone who lived in Oregon for 30+ years) with only one mountain pass ("Willamette") to deal with, tough the road up through Nevada and California (395) to Lakeview etc can be rather lonely (relatively few services along the way). Getting over to I-5 means crossing the Sierras and the Siskiyou...(though they are heavily trafficked so services, snow plows etc make it a bit safer.) My third choice would be through Klamath Falls - again more mountains! It might come down to your daughter's vehicle and her comfort in winter driving conditions.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Thank you for the comments. My oldest daughter just moved to Bend and says it's starting to snow there, no accumulation however.

The youngest daughter has no chains and wouldn't know how to use them anyway. Not at all good driving in snow. My son used to live there and says there are sometimes people who will install/remove chains for you for $25 each. It's a FWD Corolla, new tires however. Car is loaded with her household stuff, so there's weight.

I was thinking the Sierra crossing might be better because it's more southern. I have a friend who lives in Grass Valley, near Yuba City. He says the Sierra roads I-80 and Rte 20 over the mountains are clear. My daughter doesn't want to go that way because it adds more than 2 hours to the drive. Her map shows she's wanting to go the Klamath Falls route.

At this point I'm thinking maybe tell her to drive to I-5 and spend the night, then drive north on I-5 the next day. I just don't know what the weather will do
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 11-23-2021, 01:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
My oldest sent me a screenshot of the forecast. The youngest wants to go through Klamath Falls and then over to Eugene on Hwy 58. That area is going to get snow today. My wife is thinking it will all be cleared by tomorrow afternoon. I'm thinking not so.

I'm considering an offer for her to drive to I-5 then north to Willows, CA, spend the night and finish on Thursday. I think that would be better than trying to navigate the mountains.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screensho[1].jpg
Views:	30
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	408361  
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 11-23-2021, 02:44 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
It is vital that she have chains (if there is a Les Schwab Tire store get them there...if the chains are not used they can be returned for full price at the end of the season...or whenever.) I too lived in Bend for many years but seldom saw someone installing chains for a fee etc...but I am sure someone (safe and reliable) would be willing to help someone out (especially a young lady). I would suggest she should not try driving if the conditions are iffy, and your suggestion of stopping along the way makes sense, but also there may well be a requirement to either "carry chains", have studded tires or "have chains on" and the highway patrol will turn those back who do not meet the current requirements.
While the weather systems march to their own drum it is often safest to plan mountain crossings for early PM's (often warmer that time of the day and it gives the highway workers a chance to work on the road surface.)
I just looked at the I-5 conditions and while the Siskiyou Pass may be icy (low 30s) there isn't any precipitation in the forecast - no rain or snow...so I think your choice is the best. 395, Klamath Falls and Willamette Pass is now my second pick - the pass has snow and chains or studded tires are currently required.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBelle View Post
395, Klamath Falls and Willamette Pass is now my second pick - the pass has snow and chains or studded tires are currently required.
Can you tell me where you can see when chains are required? I am using the Trip Chek site, new to me. I can see pictures of the road but no chain information. Forecast is for mid to upper 40s for that area tomorrow, Willamette Pass. They would be there mid afternoon, I believe.

Temps are tomorrow's, picture is the Willamette Pass right now
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11-23-2021 4-19-33 PM.png
Views:	28
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	408389   Click image for larger version

Name:	11-23-2021 4-54-03 PM.png
Views:	29
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	408390  

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 11-23-2021, 03:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Never mind, I found it. This is a new site for me, learning curve.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8