Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2020, 01:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 28' International
Wilmington , North Carolina
Refueling Question

One of the biggest hassles we have towing is when it comes time to refuel my Ram 2500 with a 6.4 L Hemi. The truck burns regular unleaded and tows our 28 really well, but it is always a tight fit to find a pump where I can pull in easily and pull out easily...
Do the Diesel drivers refuel at the semi diesel pumps? They always look inviting but I'm wondering if they are just for the big rigs (OTR Taxes) or if you can also refuel diesel tow vehicles and airstreams?
Thanks
etojeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by etojeo View Post
One of the biggest hassles we have towing is when it comes time to refuel my Ram 2500 with a 6.4 L Hemi. The truck burns regular unleaded and tows our 28 really well, but it is always a tight fit to find a pump where I can pull in easily and pull out easily...
Do the Diesel drivers refuel at the semi diesel pumps? They always look inviting but I'm wondering if they are just for the big rigs (OTR Taxes) or if you can also refuel diesel tow vehicles and airstreams?
Thanks
Diesel guys can go to the Big Rig pumps. That can be odd as well. Some big rig drivers will let their truck sit there for a long time.... but for the most part it’s ok. I have one of those EFS (?) cards that get a pretty big discount at T/A and other truck stops.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
We refuel at the big rig pumps, never had an issue also have one of the TSD fuel cards.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Diesel here. I use the big rig lanes.

Regular fuel is a bit more challenging. Fill when you’re disconnected and when on the road use the outside lanes. The pilots/flying J of the worlds typically have nice large lanes for regular as well or even RV fuel areas. You’ll pay a bit more but they do give a cash discount as well as Good Sam.

Just take your time and wait longer for a lane to open if needed, rather than trying to squeeze into a tight spot and getting into a pickle.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The truck stops big truck lanes can be oddball too. My former diesel pusher had the filler on the right, by the door. I discovered the truck lanes had a "master" and "slave" pump. The one near my filler had no readout. It only worked when the "Master" on the street side was active. SO I learned that you activate the master and set the hose on the ground, then go to the curb side and pump. Still no information.
Also, semi pumps have very large nozzles because they flow fast! It wouldn't fit into my filler tube. There's usually an auto diesel lane close to the store. Be careful because the ground is ALWAYS wet with diesel fuel, and it's not coming off your shoes.
I was relegated to the auto pumps and that could be a challenge to enter/exit. I always looked for stations with the pumps parallel to the store, not perpendicular.
Even thought the Airstream is much easier to maneuver at the pumps, I often wait for a driver to leave so I can swing wide. I also look at the street to make sure I'm not going to scrape going out here vs. there.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:03 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
West Chester , Ohio
Diesel

We just recently upgraded to a Duramax diesel. Using the Big Truck lanes is soooo much easier! As others have said, it is a bit messier and the nozzles pump fast but the convenience makes up for it. An added plus is I can refill the DEF from a pump instead of a carton. The DEF may cost a little more this way but I know it is fresh because of the volume pumped at the truck stops. Also have an EFS card. Love the discount and ease of use. Big trucks don't seem to mind us being there, they also know it won't take us long to fill and be gone.

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2020 GMC 2500
LeatherDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Some "travel center" stations have RV pumps with gasoline and diesel (bigger Pilot/Flying J locations, e.g. but others do as well) which have better approach/departure paths and tend to be laid out for one pump per lane, so you don't have to decide between sticking out into travel lanes or blocking 2 pumps.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:22 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Westminster , Life is good in South Carolina
we use google satellite and street view to select gas stations

We have a f-150 gas ecobooost and 25 fc.

I agree finding good gas stations takes advance planning, particularly on back to back days with long tows.

My strategies
1) use google map satellite view and street view to select gas stations in advance on back to back days with long tows. We add these as ways points to our route.

2) use older smaller stations on federal highways that usually have pumps that are parallel to the road and station.

We avoid many of the new large stations have their pumps perpendicular to the station that makes access harder. Plus larger stations have more congestion traffic for food drinks etc.

3) And obviously if we have the luxury of staying in one location for several days we refuel when disconnected.
Fjord F-150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:18 PM   #9
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
We also use the truck lanes. Much easier to access generally speaking.

I try to remember that truck drivers are working and their time is valuable so I'm in and out as fast as is reasonable. I've never had any issues.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
+1 on the TSD Fuel Card. Filling up with the Big Rigs means there are no ingress/egress problems. There is some etiquette that one must learn, but it's easy. The TSD app does a really nice job of indicating the best (i.e. cheapest) places along your journey to purchase fuel. As a benefit, the TSD fuel discount (sometimes more than $0.50 per gallon!) generally compensates for the crazy diesel prices at the big truck stops. The only real downside is the service only works for diesel fuel, not regular.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Refueling

H,
We have the 2500 Ram Diesel with the Cummins Engine. We always look for TA's, Love's, Flying J, or Pilot Travel Centers when it is time to refuel. We have found drivers of the large tractor trailers to be very tolerant and helpful. One truck driver gave us a great tip about how to avoid the Tampa/Orlando area on I-4 on our return trip back to NC after we visited out granddaughter at Fort MacDill AFB near Tampa. Most of the time you don't find pay at the pump options, but have to go in and leave your card and identify what bay you are in. Once you have finished fueling you go in to complete the transaction. There are certain etiquette rules to follow such as pulling your rig up after you finish fueling, so others can refuel while you go into complete the payment.
Never had a problem. It may take a little longer, but you have plenty of room to maneuver and you can usually fill up with good fresh DEF at a good price.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:20 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
Here is the link to the TSD EFS card.

https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/

I use RV Trip Wizard - knowing my mpg & destination allows us to plan for the exact truck stop we will stop at. Then google that location & look at the reviews. You can change it up so you pick the best one. We also use the TSD app to determine best price once we get close.

The savings are legit. Using the truck bays, large diesel nozzle and easy DEF filling make it a no brainer. Also makes it so you don’t have to go inside & pay if you don’t want to.

Just pull forward when you’re done filling so the big rig behind you can start.

We’ve never had an issue.
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Pulling a trailer requires. Plan ahead, if I drive in there what’s my plan to drive out, will my trailer fit under that over hang, do I have room to turn my TV and trailer without hitting the island, don’t say he did it, I can do.