Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Forest Knolls , California
Recommendations for camping at Quartzsite?

I am heading out to Quartzsite this weekend to see the big show and check out the area. Need a good place to camp... Boondocking fine as long as it is a safe area. I have heard that this time of year can bring a lot more theft and other issues in Quartzsite. I am a solo woman traveler, in a small rig, so looking for suggestions for a safe, friendly place to spend a few days in the Quartzsite area in the coming days! Are there any Airstream "group camps" there? Thanks for any recommendations!
RudiOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Boondocking Off the Grid near the center of Quartzite... $7 a night, maybe less if they are not doing much business. Vinnie's or something like that. It is on the east side, between the main road through Quartzite and the Interstate. There is a large billboard about DUI or something like that on the property that is seen on the south side of I-10. If you see the billboard... you are at Home Sweet Home!

There is a pile of discarded toilets stacked up on the property when we were there several years ago. We park near the DUI billboard. It lights up at night, so that was our night light. Our Airstream neighbor some years ago burned wooden pallets that were stacked on the property for firewood. We shared whatever beer and wine we had on hand, enjoying the Quartzite Atmosphere and watching these paper 'luminaria' with a candle for getting lift, rising into the sky at night. Someone might have a better name for them. First... for us to see.

Close to being a dump... but safe, walk into town, lots of space but the REAL Quartzite atmosphere! No photos to share, but if we stop this year I will take some as proof the place exists. They stick a small sign along the road and they drive around in a golf cart to collect money. They forget if you paid and will ask you all the time if you have paid. This year I will ask for a paper receipt or something to show I did pay.

They had some band play next to the public outhouse. There were not many trailers there at the time, since it was time to move onto the Tucson Rock and Mineral Show.

You can buy boat outboard motors, hub caps and minerals. The Rock and Minerals seem to be what did not sell the previous year in Tucson. They haggle down from their asking prices very well. I start at no more than 50%... which is called 'keystone' price to the dealers.

The ice cream stand is the BEST deal in... Quartzite. We may even drive around the Desert and BLM where a thousand $100,000+ RV's are parked dealing in jewelry, rocks, fossils and maybe just taking in some sunshine. The BLM also has campsites for trailers.

It is a free for all and nobody dresses up. If you look too well dressed... you will pay more.

I believe the BLM advertises where their sites are located... check the internet.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Never Ben there but her is a synopsis of BLM areas around Quarzite. It's a zoo there now.

https://youtu.be/bcLzo_2vi_w

Kelvin
Old 01-15-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1972 21' Globetrotter
Arlington , Tennessee
Check out the other blogs from Rubber Tramp Rendezvous My son is camped there, it seems safe and a community of sorts. Seminars, and other group activities plenty of info at you tube.
Cottonboll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Boondock

Dome Rock off the inner state west of Quartzsite
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
The El Camino Real Unit of WBCCI will be there from January 19 to the 22. They are near the RV show and Rock show. Please let me know if you would like additional information.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDee View Post
I am heading out to Quartzsite this weekend to see the big show and check out the area. Need a good place to camp... Boondocking fine as long as it is a safe area. I have heard that this time of year can bring a lot more theft and other issues in Quartzsite. I am a solo woman traveler, in a small rig, so looking for suggestions for a safe, friendly place to spend a few days in the Quartzsite area in the coming days! Are there any Airstream "group camps" there? Thanks for any recommendations!
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote