Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Surprise , Arizona
Receiver pins

Yesterday we left New Orleans for Michigan. East of Birmingham, AL we pulled off I 10 for fuel. As I entered the station we felt a sudden slam, as if someone had struck the trailer. I jumped out and found that my hitch shank had come out of the receiver! The pin had fallen out, it was later found on the road at the entrance to the station. The pin that fell out was a Reese locking pin, one I had purchased over a year ago, and used scores of times. Anyone using one please be cautious and be sure it is locked, and remains locked when on use. Personally, I'm going back to the old clip pin type. We are extremely lucky this did not occur on the X way we had just exited. I was able to hook the traler back up, and still had the original pin so we could be on our way with just minor damage to the ball lever.
Jackcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Woah lucky is right!
I haven't checked my pin in a while as it is now inconveniently located behind my rock flaps and hitch rider....
Thanks for the wake-up call!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
I never tow with mine I only use it if I leave my hitch on and park some ware it could be stolen .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mineral Bluff , Georgia
Good head's up.

I think I'll revert to the simpler pin for towing as well.

K.I.S.S.
FastEddieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Three times my cotter pin popped out of my pin. The sp1500 suburban I had at the time did not have enough clearence room for the pin. I learmed that if it was with the open legs down if I hit a bump or dip, the pin popped out. I make a habit of checking the whole system everytime I stop and now have a locking reciever pin on the hitch. Mine never came off, just lost the pin. Pretty scary incident to have happen.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Good watch out! I'm going to back up the cotter pin with a small cable tie around the open end.
TomS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Wow, what a story. I think the pin that holds your hitch in place is called a clevis pin. The clip on mine is quite sturdy and does not come out easily. I would suggest getting a new pin and clip of sufficient size and girth to stay in place. I check mine every time I hook up.

I was surprised to hear that a locking pin would come "unlocked" in use. Thanks for this post.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
Never did trust the cheap pins make my own. Get a bolt that is long enough to put two nuts on after it is put through the receiver. Then drill a hole in the end for a clevis pin. Tighten the nuts against each other then the pin. Double security
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
South Western , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehandyman View Post
Never did trust the cheap pins make my own. Get a bolt that is long enough to put two nuts on after it is put through the receiver. Then drill a hole in the end for a clevis pin. Tighten the nuts against each other then the pin. Double security
What grade bolt do you use?
Does anyone out there know the grade rating of a clevis pin?

We have been using a master lock locking clevis pin for the last year with out issue, but, I've always been a bit concerned about the lock coming off. Sometimes the lock does not click into position and we must insert the key to get it to lock into place.

I also like the idea of wraping a cable tie around the opening of the cotter pin just in case.
LivLoveLaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Receiver pins

I use a grade 8 bolt with a nylock nut. (Not pulled tight)

It is a sure attachment that is kind of between a lock and a simple pin with regard to security. At least a crook would have to go to the trouble of getting tools to steal my hitch insert.

The pin/bolt is in double shear, I imagine that a grade 5 bolt would prove satisfactory to the challenge, (there isn't much stress here in normal use), but none the less, the grade 8 bolt means I don't worry about it.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I use a grade 8 bolt with a nylock nut. (Not pulled tight)

It is a sure attachment that is kind of between a lock and a simple pin with regard to security. At least a crook would have to go to the trouble of getting tools to steal my hitch insert.

The pin/bolt is in double shear, I imagine that a grade 5 bolt would prove satisfactory to the challenge, (there isn't much stress here in normal use), but none the less, the grade 8 bolt means I don't worry about it.
Yup. The holes in the hitch will fail long before the pin. Allowable bolt shear stress is 1/2 max tensile (plus safety factor of course); so since grade 8 bolts are 150 ksi, a 5/8" grade 8 bolt in double shear would be good for 46k lbs - sufficient to hang several Airstreams in mid-air.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
...sufficient to hang several Airstreams in mid-air.

- Bart
I won't believe that until I see some pics! Any volunteers?
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
I use a locking pin with a snapover center ring. However you learn a good lesson cheap. Do a walk around each and every time you stop, look at everything, when doing the walk around my family knows not to speak to me, so I can stay focus on their safety.
Julie-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Receiver Pin

Hellow fellow streamers. On my locking pin I drilled a hole for a clevis pin in it between the edge of the receiver and the lock on the pin. Beings it is outside of the receiver the hole will not effect the strength of the pin. Now if the lock head falls off the clevis pin will keep the receiver pin from falling out. It's wasn't easy to drill but it can be done.
Happy camping nm1oqrz
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:12 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Surprise , Arizona
That's what I've now done, drilled a hole in my new pin and stick in a clevis pin alongside the regular one. Not something I'll soon forget.
Jackcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote