Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I think this is such a cool thread. I hope we can revive it and keep it going.

I remember my dad had a '56 Buick convertible. He would put all our camping gear in the trunk, and a huge tent on a trunk mounted cargo rack. You're right, we didn't have much camping gear.

He had sleeping bags, Coleman stove and lantern, aluminum ice box, and some pots, pans, and dishes. Later we got air mattresses. (Guess who's job it was to pump them up when we made camp.)

Eventually, he got a trailer to haul the gear, then a pop up camper, and then a used Airsream. By then I was on my own, with a family of my own, never to camp with Mom and Dad again.

Sorry, no pics.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:32 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Back in the early 60's we would take my father's big ugly canvas tent he brought back from the Korean war and hit the road with Mom, Dad and 4 of us girls. It wasn't easy fitting 6 people in an old Buick with everything we needed, but my mother could pack a car like nobody's business. We had to sit in the back seat with our little legs folded up due to all the suit cases on the floor.

My father would choose a destination and besides the occational pit stop, that was the only place he would stop. We pleaded and begged one time for him to stop at the Grand Canyon since we were going that direction. We got a whopping 15 minutes to enjoy it. His response was that it was just another big hole in the ground.

Mom was good about the trips. It was the only vacation we could afford to take with such a large family and she accepted that. She cooked and cleaned and kept us tidy and bandaged up. She always said it was just like home, but under primative conditions.

I can't emagine how difficult it was for my parents to keep everything together on those trips with all of us, but it makes me appreciate them all the more... and the memories are priceless.
Julie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:35 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
In about 1968 ( I was in 8th grade) our family was tent camping around the country on our annual 3 week vacation. We had a few days in San Francisco and went to Chinatown. While there I bought some cigarette loads in one of the tourist shops. My mother was a smoker and my siblings and I thought this would make a great practical joke on our Mom. When she was not looking I took her smokes and added a load to one, and placed it back in the pack. We could not wait to see what happened. The next day we went to lunch at Joe DiMaggio's restaurant on Fishermans Wharf. This was a big treat for our family as we only dined out once or twice over the entire 3 week trip. The place had cloth table cloths and water at the table. Very fancy. When the menus came and my parents saw the prices they freaked out. Lunch for 6 was going to be pricey. While they were deciding what to do, Mom lite a cigarette. Wouldn't you know it, the load was in that smoke. It blew the front off the cigarette and there was tobacco bits all over that table cloth. Mom screamed and the waiter came running. Dad explained Mom was to upset to eat and we were leaving. I was most certainly in trouble but it got them out of an expensive lunch they could not afford.
Bluestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:36 AM   #24
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I wish I had pics for all our early family trips. We started of with the six of us in a big canvas tent. It was the one with a large square area in the middle, and two "wings" off of each side. We hauled it all in a little one wheel trailer. However, my Dad threw out his back up in northern Wisconsin one summer unloading the trailer, and that was the end of the little one wheel trailer and the tent.
Then he found a pop-up, I think it was called a Holthouse? Something like that. The top of the trailer folded out in half and became the two wing beds. We had six of us in it for years, and camped in the mountains somewhere almost every summer.
I still remember being camped in Yellowstone, and following the bears around as they invaded all the campsites. If you left coolers out, they would bust them right open. My older brother and I tagged along (we were probably 8 and 10) for a long ways. I also remember in the evening a truck would drive through the campgrounds and there would be a guy yelling from in back, "firewood, Sunday Papers!" If my Dad would spring for some firewood we would have a campfire that night. We hiked all over, saw moose on the trail, caught snakes, chased big fish in the mountain streams (I found out later they were probably white fish, or suckers, ha!)
We just had a blast. So, naturally, when my youngest was four we bought a pop-up and duplicated all the trips I did as a kid, plus many, many others. I'm the only one of my three siblings and I that did the " camping" thing. Maybe my brothers and sister don't have the memories I do, not sure.
Well, my wife loved every trip with the kids, and the memories we made, that's why we are still camping, as empty nesters!
We do have pics up all over the inside of our 23FB with kids at various campgrounds across the west.
I think I'm the only Dad in this area that never took his family to Disney World. Other families have gone many times. We would sit at the table for a family meeting, and the vote alway was for a camping trip to the cool mountains, instead of standing on the hot asphalt in Florida for hours on end. My wife thinks I stacked the deck against Disney.. Haha! I did for sure.
Sure have some fantastic memories though.. Both from my childhood, and my kids younger years. Now,, if we could just get a grand kid to go with us. Ha!

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Here's a twofer. In this picture are the "original" Mark Doane and the now famous BAB, along with two spectacular Airstreams. Time period was July 1963.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Milaca.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	233036  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote