Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2005, 09:10 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Rivet

Spyder you gotta just be sick over all this. Heck I'm even achein' a bit and it's not my unit. Wish mine looked that good inside.

Hope you will keep us totally posted on the insurance settlement activities.
Especially the salvage value the insurer assigns to it. As you prob know that is what they will sell it back to you for.
Once you get that number and their offer on settlement you might want to put the trailer up on eBAY as is and just see what you might get. There is no time limit that I have ever heard of to settle a claim. If you can afford to wait, don't let them rush you into selling short.

Did you guys just turn around and come home? Did you have to repair anything to bring it back?
I know most of your repair work was finished a year ago. Did you all get to use the trailer much or was this a first long trip?
How did the authorities in Louisiana treat the situation? Where exactly in La. did it happen? Is I-10 thru La. still a nightmare of ill-repair? (guess it is a nightmare for sure for you guys).
Oh and did the impact have any effect on the hitch connection?

BTW that truck van looks familliar. Is that a WalMart truck or a Blue Bell Ice Cream maybe? If either and they got the ticket, then I predict a fixed trailer in your future.
roadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 10:55 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
One other place to take it to for repair is http://www.griffithrvservice.com/ in Oklahoma City. They do outstanding work.
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 11:17 AM   #43
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Perhaps all of us should pitch in a bit here and send Barkingspider some karma for his troubles.

Sort of a group hug thingy.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 11:54 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Talking Hold on to the trailer

Dont' let the insurance company possess the trailer before a settlement is made. Keep it in your driveway and hold on tight until you agree on a settlment, that will give you more bargaining power than if they hold it in a salvage yard. Plus if its in a yard and out of your control other things will happen to it. Parts will turn up missinging extra damage from them moving it around will surely happen, and if you do end up buying in back you dont' need any extra greif.

It took me three months to settle and I made the mistake of letting them hold the trailer for a weekend (24 hrs) at there salvage yard. The power cord was gone somone tried to take the cd changer and it had been rifled through.

I made a special trip to take it back and then the fight was on. They will low ball the crap out of it because they don't have any clue what its worth.

stick to your gunns and get a value that is comparabel to what other trailers like yours are going for in your area. Find your own comps, You dont' have to settle right away its an RV, not a car, let it sit.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:40 PM   #45
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
Perhaps all of us should pitch in a bit here and send Barkingspider some karma for his troubles.

Sort of a group hug thingy.
Already been done, at least from my end...
Old 08-05-2005, 04:53 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Answers to Questions

So many questions. I'll try to cover them all in this reply:

Safari Tim: "I was wondering how the tow vehicle took the impact? Could the impact that large on the trailer cause a problem on the tow vehcile hitch/frame?"

Barkingspider: No damage to the tow vehicle. We felt a surge forward but the Airstream took one for the team. It acted like a crumple zone on a car. No damage to the truck or hitch. Was using a Reese Dual Cam HP.

Desi Arnaz: "can i have your front windows???????????? how much$$$$"

Barkingspider: Depends on how this all gets settled. I'll definitely post here first if I end up parting it out!

Roadeo: "Did you guys just turn around and come home? Did you have to repair anything to bring it back?
I know most of your repair work was finished a year ago. Did you all get to use the trailer much or was this a first long trip?
How did the authorities in Louisiana treat the situation? Where exactly in La. did it happen? Is I-10 thru La. still a nightmare of ill-repair? (guess it is a nightmare for sure for you guys).
Oh and did the impact have any effect on the hitch connection?

BTW that truck van looks familliar. Is that a WalMart truck or a Blue Bell Ice Cream maybe? If either and they got the ticket, then I predict a fixed trailer in your future."

Barkingspider: We did not turn around and come home. We continued on with trailer in tow and just stayed in a hotel. Insurance will cover the hotel cost.

I got to use the trailer about 4 or 5 times since completing it. My wife only got to stay in it twice.

Yes I-10 goes through parts of Lousiana. Happened outside of Baton Rouge, LA about a mile before Denham Springs, LA.

The driver was hauling for HEB food stores. HEB covers the driver while he is hauling for them. They are self insured.
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 05:24 PM   #47
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Just plain makes me sick to see it....but glad yer ok. I often wonder since "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" how close these folks get around here zig zagging around the Safari and even looking in the mirror they seem close......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 11:28 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
I gasped at seeing your pictures. This is something that probably only a streamer would fully appreciate. We have insurance coverage up to the $$ paid for our A/S. Maybe we (many of us infact) should have an appraisal done. Repair costs can escalate quickly. Of course, the trucker WAS at fault and there maybe, if that's what it takes, recourse from him and or his company to re-coupe any losses.

So very glad your family members were uninjured,
Sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 11:32 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Oh my. I didn't notice there were 2 more pages and thought I'd read them all. Oops. Sorry about repeats on the comments.

Sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 08:55 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

I Would Say If You Are Going To Fix It,go Right Back To The Factory......I WOULD never fool with these smaller local dealers.you might even have enough $$ to have it transported to jackson........what is blue book on that pup?
it looks very fixable........
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:04 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

looking at the photos is scary but the worst thing is the cracked frame....8 segments are about $3000 a window can be had new for $750 plywood floor is cheap i have no idea about the luggage hole but i would say for less than $10,000 it would look fine....if insurance pays $25,000 you are ahead of the game. good luck!!
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 01:53 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Well the good part is you walked away unhurt. Its just metal and they make them everyday. Body parts take a lot longer to get over accidents. Best of luck.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:10 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Words cannot express our sorrow.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:57 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Joe, I was shocked and dismayed to run across this post(haven't been on the forum all summer). Like all Vintage Airstreamers I was sickened by the photo's knowing the work and seeing the beautiful results of your restoration. Thank God you and family are alright. I'm struck with your positive attitude despite the tragedy. I have faith that with perserverance and all the karma that those of us on the Forum can send that you will be able to get your Airstream restored again. (or if not possible, a settlement that will be worth all your time.) In hindsight all your helpful postings here with pictures documenting the amount of work you've done will undoubtably help with the insurance company. You have inspired other postings regarding the issues of insurance for vintage Airstreams so you can take some small consolation there that once again you've helped others. Good Luck and keep us posted of the progress and outcome of your negotiations for settlement. Mike and Becky
wildcat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:19 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMcG
Sorry to see and read story, and as owner of '88 with similar pink-ish accented interior (we had more muaves and maroons with bright flowers) your interior makeover was terrific..

I'd suggest two things...

1. Consider chatting with local attorney just for fun, so you don't wind up getting sued for contributing to cause of bent license plate on front of tractor... You might also keep his insurance company from lowballing you for a few rounds.. Texas law tends to favor the injured, and you should be entitled to full market value (not some phony blue or gold book value..) if it's totaled..

2. Get quote from Airstream in Jackson Center as part of claim to fix.. May either help get proper settlement from trucker, and may help you decide whether to buy back from insurance co and repair of they total it..

Best of luck, and do let Forum know how this works out...

John McG
We are all glad there were no personal injuries.

Good advise,

Remember the trailer is yours until you settle/repair or replace...
The trucker just dealt you a Royal Flush in spades, The only way you lose is by folding....
Trucking companies carry huge amounts of liability insurance and most try to settle rather than risk going to court. But that doesn't mean that they won't try to lowball you..

Don
nymphfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:25 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Repair Estimate Received

Drum roll please..........

$22,000

Estimate was compiled by North Dallas RV in Denton, TX. They are an Airstream Service Center and their sole focus is repair and warranty work.

This figure has some pretty stiff stipulations regarding hidden damage since they were quoting based on photos and never actually got to see the unit.

Now the fun begins. Working with the insurance company to determine value.....they've already been told by Airstream of San Antonio that it would sell for approximately $21,000 - 25,000 if they had it on their lot. So at least I have a leg to stand on!

Joe
Old 09-17-2005, 10:37 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Insurance Settlement

Well I think the deals about done. After a couple weeks of negotiations HEB came to the table with an offer of $27,500 to settle the claim and I accepted.

A few pointers when trying to settle a claim: (this is by no means an all inclusive list)

1. Don't piss off the claims adjuster - very important.
2. Document everything.
3. Ask for more than you really want.
4. Put your offer in writing (aka....demand letter - with back-up).
5. Be firm - don't accept the first offer.
6. Make sure the claims adjuster knows your willing to move on your initial demand once they've had time to sit with it for a while.
7. Did I mention......Don't piss off the claims adjuster!!!

Joe
Old 09-17-2005, 10:44 PM   #58

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingspider
Well I think the deals about done. After a couple weeks of negotiations HEB came to the table with an offer of $27,500 to settle the claim and I accepted.

Joe
Two questions Joe. Will 27K fix it? If you don't mind me asking what was their initial offer?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 07:53 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Two questions Joe. Will 27K fix it? If you don't mind me asking what was their initial offer?

Jack
Their offer of $27,500 would more than fix it but I'm not about to sink that much money into an '87 Sovereign .....even one that I invested so much time & energy on. It just wouldn't make sense.

Their initial offer was approximately $20,000.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 09-18-2005, 07:57 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Congrats, Joe. That sounds like kind of a happy ending, given the story. We've sure seen people do worse in similar situations!