Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2003, 05:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Rd Trip...Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver Is

Drove an 02 Ford F 150 King Ranch model with so many bells an whistles some things I didn't discover for a month and pulled an 00 25'Safari, had absolutely NO probs with either, the truk handled the mtn passes an the flat way overheated praries with nary a prob
I left Ft Lauderdale end of June03 heading to the FAR FAR
NW.Stopped 2days each in Savannah and Charleston then up to WNY state to visit bro an his wife, then back to Jackson Ctr Ohio and the A/S factory visit
I recommend it takes about an hour an is interesting and informative
Then to St Louis an sev days there; did the Arch, Fox Theater,great clothes buys at the Famous Barr dept store downtown, parked the A/S across the river about 10 minutes tops to downdown St L.
Then to the FLL Wright house, Dana-Thomas in Springfield OH. a must see for FLLW fans such as I
Up to Wisconsin to Spring Green to visit Taliesin, the original country studio, another must see, the tours are VERY VERY well conducted by volunteers who know their material
West, then, thru seemingly 1000s of miles of corn, soybeans, and dust to Sturgis an the H-D rally, 2 days of the noise was about all I could handle so it was west still thru Wyoming into Montana and the Little Big Horn Battlefield site, and a truly impressive monument, impressive because there is no development anywhere near the site, humbling when one realizes the immense distances men and supplies had to travel in those times. Even more humbling when one realizes that those troops had to know they were facing certain death
I met at one rest area a young couple from PA who were traveling in a 1940 or 41 4 dr Mercury convertible fully restored pulling a restored very old TT, they had done a trip from PA thru the SW to LA and up the coast to Seattle and were heading home when I spoke with them........NO AIRCONDITIONING in the car, they said they hadn't realized how hot it was going to be, and except for a broken drive shaft in Washington they had NO probs at all
Up to Glacier Park stayed at the eastern entrance as fires were a problem at the other side but I was able to get to the top of Logan Pass
SO thats what Mountains look like?????? Not any in SOFLA
When I got to Banff Springs I found out what BIG mountains really are like. Spent a week in the area, did the ice fields, and the great hotels, stayed at Tunnel Mtn Park a natl park site, with great facilites
Down the Okenagen Valley to Washington and to Grand Coulee and the Cheif Dan dams, then west to Olympic Nat'l park, another def must see place. Parked the trailer at Port Angeles an took the ferry across to Victoria, did the tourist things there and drove up the length of Vancouver Is to Pt. Hardy and the No. Pacific ocean, where my dog Hamish, a Scottie was the hit of the RV park. He had never been in the water previously, so when we got to the beach he went running madly into the surf, which at that time wasn't but very small waves. First wave he bit at an it disapeared, he turned around to chase it and another came up behind hime an knocked him butt over teacups, so to speak. And time after time he picked himself up an had a grand time playing for himself an a gathering crowd. When I thought he had enuf I had to get into the water an pull him out as he didn't want to stop. The water was far colder than what we have in Fla.
Back down to Tofino for another few days still on the Pacific Ocean

A few quik observations.........
Crossing into Canada and back into the US took minutes, barely five on each occasion, north of Glacier PK into Alberta, and later at the southern end of the Okenagen Valley into Washington

Driving thru Calgary with the streets under construction I had visions of truly major nerve problens with traffic while pulling a TT. Sev times I had to change lanes, no problem, put on the directional flashers and each time traffic to my left or right slowed and opened space for me to change, couldn't wave my thanks but did flash the lites and hoped they recognized my thank you.

Same thing passing thru from Vallejo CA. on the way early one AM to hook up with I-5 . Morning rush hour and traffic could not have been more kind nor generous.

The vast expanses of the northern Great Plains have to be experienced to be believed, some times I stopped at rest areas to walk myself an the dog an as far as one could see there was no habitation.....just corn

The heat was another revelation some times way over 105 an 110 degrees

The total politeness of people I encountered, info offered with generosity, inquiring where I was from and where I was headed

The immense volume of BIG truk traffic on the interstates.
And here I have to offer my thanks to the vision of Pres Eisenhower for the impetus to construct them after he saw during during Allied advances into Germany during WW2 how helpful the German autobahns were in moving men and equipment rapidly

I was on the road for almost 4 months, traveled about 17K miles, had an experience that was memorable
Now back to work, Airstream for sale in Ft Lauderdale sadly to say
Airstream Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 05:51 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

I like Ike

Wonderful report Scottie,
we can just see that dog chasing those waves.

Trip of a lifetime but why sell the trailer?
Surely there are more sites to see. More waves to chase.

BTW we concur fully on the Interstate kudos to General Ike. He should be remembered fondly by every driver who ever uses them. We occasionally see a sign on Interstate roadsides mentioning Ike but not often enuff.
Must only be one every 2500 miles or so.

Did you preplan your whole agenda or just improvise as you went?

S&V
Sue&Von is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 06:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
kudos scottie

did a lot of your trip years ago b4 i had an a/s...so glad to see you had a wonderful time....hope you took alot of pix to support the memory in your mind....there is nothing like travels with charlie when your young....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:02 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

FT Lauderdale to Vancouver Is

Correction........Dana- Thomas House is in Springfield ILL., not Ohio

Only a rough, general plan and direction but sev important to me stops. I had no time schedule xcept to be back in Ft Laud in Nov to return to work
Savannah
Charleston
Airstream Factory
FLLWright sites
Sturgis, SD
Glacier Park
Banff Springs
Olympic Nat'l Park
Vancouver Is
Las Vegas
Hoover Dam

Trailer sale is a must. Have accepted a job which will involve foreign travel for the next 2 years

BTW I saw many signs on the Interstate Hi way system. It is officially known as "The Eisenhower Interstate Highway System"

A very surprising and pleasant surprise after I returned and totalled all my expenses.......I had spent much less than I had planned
Airstream Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
foreign travel?

hope you take your dog..he deserves it....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote